So, I've lived in Des Moines for a Week...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Chef's kitchen has been closed for at least 7 years. The building sat vacant and rotted until a couple years ago they restored it. As far as I know, it's still vacant but I think the building is in much better shape.

The FD Wendy's was amazing (seriously noticeably better than Wendy's elsewhere) until they changed owners (old owners I believe also owned Taco Tico) and built a new location (new location was built over the old location's parking lot). Now it's no better than any other Wendy's.

Chef's kitchen building is reopened and a chinese place again can't remember the name of it.

• Informative
Reactions: CysRage

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Things I have learned:

The weather is glorious! I hope it stays this way year round.

The people are super nice.

Every time I see a Cyclone shirt or hat, I smile.

It was easy-peasy to sign up for Nex Gen internet and Direct TV for a decent price. Next day service. Works great!

Plenty of cool restaurants and bars.

The only thing that freaks me out is that I have seen 3 dead birds on the sidewalks. What's up with that?

Viva Des Moines!
giphy.gif

CivEFootball

Sep 16, 2010
My wife and I have our 5 year anniversary coming up next weekend. Any recommendations for dinner in the Des Moines metro? Our family is on a tighter budget so I don't want to go anywhere too expensive but don't want a chain restaurant either. Any recommendations?

New in town or 5 year I'd recommend checking out

Zuzap (thai food)
Hevanly in Valley Junction (chinese)
Exhile Brewing (maybe if you do a lunch for budget)

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Regardless... the time is soon coming to finally GTFO of Illinois.

If I want the urban Des Moines experience, what areas/neighborhoods should I be looking at?

Beside downtown living, I consider traditional neighbors that are near downtown and are walkalbe as "urban" as well. To that end, my favorites are the neighborhoods immediately west of downtown. There are single family homes, apartments, and condos. A great business district (Ingersoll Ave).

A couple new downtown neighborhoods offer apartments for lease as well as condos and townhomes for purchase:

Bridge District: https://hubbellrealty.com/businesses/development-services/bridge-district-des-moines

Gray's Landing: https://www.hubbellhomes.com/communities/gray-s-station

• Winner
  • Friendly
Reactions: aauummm and harimad

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
3 weeks now and going strong! I bought a Cool Gel Roll mattress from Mattress Firm and a platform bed from west elm, I have NexGen internet and Direct TV, I have my Driver's License (still waiting on the hard copy in the mail), my new license plates, registered to vote, have a Hy-Vee Fuel Saver + Card and have been to plenty of new restaurants in DSM. Oh, I found a 4th dead bird the other day downtown. My sister-in-law says that it is the peregrine falcons who hunt the birds but don't eat all of their prey. Talking about hunting skills, the ISU Alumni Association found me without me calling to give a change of address!!! lol. They found me in 3 weeks!

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
3 weeks now and going strong! I bought a Cool Gel Roll mattress from Mattress Firm and a platform bed from west elm, I have NexGen internet and Direct TV, I have my Driver's License (still waiting on the hard copy in the mail), my new license plates, registered to vote, have a Hy-Vee Fuel Saver + Card and have been to plenty of new restaurants in DSM. Oh, I found a 4th dead bird the other day downtown. My sister-in-law says that it is the peregrine falcons who hunt the birds but don't eat all of their prey. Talking about hunting skills, the ISU Alumni Association found me without me calling to give a change of address!!! lol. They found me in 3 weeks!

ISU vanity plates?

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Chef's kitchen has been closed for at least 7 years. The building sat vacant and rotted until a couple years ago they restored it. As far as I know, it's still vacant but I think the building is in much better shape.

The FD Wendy's was amazing (seriously noticeably better than Wendy's elsewhere) until they changed owners (old owners I believe also owned Taco Tico) and built a new location (new location was built over the old location's parking lot). Now it's no better than any other Wendy's.

Dennis Johnson (old owner, also owned the fabulous Tico) sold it a few years ago and retired. And you're right, Dennis was always a stickler for cleanliness and quality. Now it seems the burgers get routinely overcooked, or kept far too long in the warmer. And for me, their fries are awful.....they started leaving the skins on, and to me they taste dusty. IMO

• Informative
Reactions: CysRage

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

Those SOB's called my wife's phone disguised as a DSM phone number. They really stepping up there game.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
Things I have learned:

The weather is glorious! I hope it stays this way year round.

The people are super nice.

Every time I see a Cyclone shirt or hat, I smile.

It was easy-peasy to sign up for Nex Gen internet and Direct TV for a decent price. Next day service. Works great!

Plenty of cool restaurants and bars.

The only thing that freaks me out is that I have seen 3 dead birds on the sidewalks. What's up with that?

Viva Des Moines!

Serious answer, Des Moines has a pair of falcons that like to destroy pigeons

• Informative
Reactions: AlaCyclone

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
3 months on and still loving it! I went out tonight for a walk, and stumbled across the "Cyclones Unplugged" on Capital Square. Matt Campbell was there and gave a quick answer and question session with the M.C. (Voice was familiar, but did not recognize the M.C.). I'm fired up and ready for some Cyclone Football!

68763884_2356367797784862_7691178832379772928_n.jpg

69221434_2356367894451519_4582957553415094272_n.jpg

68932726_2356367984451510_4718488643759505408_n.jpg

Reactions: CyTwins

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
3 months on and still loving it! I went out tonight for a walk, and stumbled across the "Cyclones Unplugged" on Capital Square. Matt Campbell was there and gave a quick answer and question session with the M.C. (Voice was familiar, but did not recognize the M.C.). I'm fired up and ready for some Cyclone Football!

68763884_2356367797784862_7691178832379772928_n.jpg

69221434_2356367894451519_4582957553415094272_n.jpg

68932726_2356367984451510_4718488643759505408_n.jpg

MC looks like John Walters, probably. You'd know him if you listen to any Cyclone sports on the radio.

Help Support Us

Become a patron