Sydney Milani leaving ISU

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
False.

This was from @CycloneDaddy:

"I would say most people that work out like she does likes to be noticed. I ran a 10k last year that she was at and she didnt seem to mind the attention."

Each sentence exudes an underlying sexism. I doubt that her father, grandfather, brother, etc. would think that Syndey is running a 10k to get sexual attention from "men"(really "boys").
Yeah that isnt what I said at all but whatever.

• Winner
Reactions: isutrevman

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
You'd be right when it comes to the posts about her build and it's effect on athleticism.

But there's a huuuuge gulf between good/bad weight gain for football performance, and "she'd be a superstar with those looks."
I apologize for saying someone is attractive and suggesting that would help their career.

Reactions: isutrevman

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Intentional misunderstanding and insincere apologies aside... you would never make the same comment about a male athlete and that’s the problem.

Well excuse me, the person on CF who has probably recieved the most comments in regards to looks is Fred Hoiberg, so don't tell me never. I absolutely think a male can benefit from their looks, especially in a sport like track during the olympics. Maybe not to the same degree as a woman, but that's a different conversation.

I didn't make some hornball comment like she is hot or would. I was specifically thinking of another Iowa athlete, Lolo Jones, who's combination of elite athleticism and looks turned her into a national star on the Olympic stage. You may not like that reality, but it doesnt make it any less true.

Last edited:

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Obviously she was a phenomenal HS athlete! I felt she just had the build of a track athlete that was going to peak early due to physical characteristics. There is no doubt she is a hard worker! But her build just seems to have a bit too much mass for her to continue to improve in her events. For her sake I hope I am wrong but I worry for her that her best days in her sport are in her past.
1559520738447.jpg

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Well excuse me, the person on CF who has probably recieved the most comments in regards to looks is Fred Hoiberg, so don't tell me never. I absolutely think a male can benefit from their looks, especially in a sport like track during the olympics. Maybe not to the same degree as a woman, but that's a different conversation.

I didn't make some hornball comment like she is hot or would. I was specifically thinking of another Iowa athlete, Lolo Jones, who's combination of elite athleticism and looks turned her into a national star on the Olympic stage. You may not like that reality, but it doesnt make it any less true.
Wow, just wow. Every time, I tell myself not to reply to you. But I can't help myself.

These things aren't even close to being similar and you know it. First, Fred Hoiberg is one of the most mentioned guys on this site. Period. So it stands to reason that he would have received the most comments in regards to looks. Just like the dog that happens to have been called cute the most in your home is the one that happens to be your pet and just so happens to live there too.

The day that women have the same opportunities to make a shitload of money based solely on their athletic ability, I'll say that you might have a point with your ******** "men are victims of objectification" argument. But right now the 102nd NFL draft pick gets a $760k signing bonus, plus his contract, which is worth another $3.4M. That's more than almost all female athletes make in their entire careers. The very best female athletes in the world don't make as much as the 102nd best NFL football ROOKIE. Alex Morgan gets paid $300k per year. She's not even the best player on the women's national team, but she's really cute, so gets paid the most. Sydney Leroux gets $200k per year. Guess what? She's also really cute. Are you catching on yet?

Forbes publishes a list each year of the 100 highest paid athletes in the world. The most women that have ever made that list was three.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtba...orlds-100-highest-paid-athletes/#52efb95c3479

So yeah, there are cute guy athletes, if they're cute, even better for them. We can joke and call Fred "Dreamy." But don't you dare try and get on a high horse and pretend that it's the same thing. Fred didn't get paid because he was dreamy. He got paid because he was good at what he did. Commenting on his looks versus commenting on her looks isn't anywhere close to being in the same ballpark. Women can be the greatest in the world at what they do, but unless they look like Danica Patrick or play tennis, it doesn't matter.

The point I'm making is that the only thing of value that female athletes seem to have is their looks. Remember this every time you make a "harmless" comment giving a female athlete a compliment. You're perpetuating the stereotype.

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
The day that women have the same opportunities to make a shitload of money based solely on their athletic ability, I'll say that you might have a point with your ******** "men are victims of objectification" argument. But right now the 102nd NFL draft pick gets a $760k signing bonus, plus his contract, which is worth another $3.4M. That's more than almost all female athletes make in their entire careers. The very best female athletes in the world don't make as much as the 102nd best NFL football ROOKIE. Alex Morgan gets paid $300k per year. She's not even the best player on the women's national team, but she's really cute, so gets paid the most. Sydney Leroux gets $200k per year. Guess what? She's also really cute. Are you catching on yet?

I think you're missing the major point that both of these are businesses. Business leaders are going to pay people the most who help their business the most, especially in the entertainment/sports sector.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Wow, just wow. Every time, I tell myself not to reply to you. But I can't help myself.

These things aren't even close to being similar and you know it. First, Fred Hoiberg is one of the most mentioned guys on this site. Period. So it stands to reason that he would have received the most comments in regards to looks. Just like the dog that happens to have been called cute the most in your home is the one that happens to be your pet and just so happens to live there too.

Forbes publishes a list each year of the 100 highest paid athletes in the world. The most women that have ever made that list was three.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtba...orlds-100-highest-paid-athletes/#52efb95c3479

So yeah, there are cute guy athletes, if they're cute, even better for them. We can joke and call Fred "Dreamy." But don't you dare try and get on a high horse and pretend that it's the same thing. Fred didn't get paid because he was dreamy. He got paid because he was good at what he did. Commenting on his looks versus commenting on her looks isn't anywhere close to being in the same ballpark. Women can be the greatest in the world at what they do, but unless they look like Danica Patrick or play tennis, it doesn't matter.

The point I'm making is that the only thing of value that female athletes seem to have is their looks. Remember this every time you make a "harmless" comment giving a female athlete a compliment. You're perpetuating the stereotype.

You tryna get this thread moved to the cave or what? It’s not a hard concept to grasp that whoever drives viewership and advertising numbers gets paid more...

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

I did not say men are victims. I did not pay Milani a compliment. I said her looks would make her a superstar if she made the Olympics. That's it. You yourself acknowledge that Alex Morgan and Sydney Leroux are making the most money for the same reasons. You are getting mad at me for stating the obvious.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I did not say men are victims. I did not pay Milani a compliment. I said her looks would make her a superstar if she made the Olympics. That's it. You yourself acknowledge that Alex Morgan and Sydney Leroux are making the most money for the same reasons. You are getting mad at me for stating the obvious.

Leroux = overrated
Morgan = money

Go USA19