Snowflake ref

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
Because what you posted was not correct.

I’d actually really like to hear why you think so or why it is so. Are you referring to offsides, pks, or my definition of a penalty? Maybe even all 3?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Maybe I am not being clear enough... yes the rule needs to be called when it impacts the outcome of the pk. In this case I don’t even think the goalie left the line and if he did it was so minor that no advantage was really gained. This rule is in place to keep goalies from taking big lounges forward like almost every pk in the video below starting around 4:19.
I mean he definitely left his line, was it the most egregious example ever? No. Would what he did be called all the time? No. But the rule isn't that you can leave your line as long as the kicker kicks it to the side though so it was applied correctly.

The comparison to the offside rule isn't apples to apples, that rule specifically states that a player is not offside if they aren't involved in the play.

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I’d actually really like to hear why you think so or why it is so. Are you referring to offsides, pks, or my definition of a penalty? Maybe even all 3?
A goalie leaving the line early is always a penalty regardless of other factors, like 3true said it isn't always called.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Fact of the matter is that the fans shouldn't have all been asked to leave. Even if they are acting bad, I think they deserve several warnings before resorting to this.

• Winner
Reactions: cyowan

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
A goalie leaving the line early is always a penalty regardless of other factors, like 3true said it isn't always called.

I mean he definitely left his line, was it the most egregious example ever? No. Would what he did be called all the time? No. But the rule isn't that you can leave your line as long as the kicker kicks it to the side though so it was applied correctly.

The comparison to the offside rule isn't apples to apples, that rule specifically states that a player is not offside if they aren't involved in the play.

Thanks for clarifying. 100% the rule says that goalie leaving the line early is a penalty... soccer has always had plenty of rules that some “common sense” and sometimes interpretation is used. This specific case would not be called >99% of the time, in my opinion it is because there is some “common sense” that the goalie did not obtain an unfair advantage.

In my opinion, and I believed it to be widely shared by others as well, this rule was created to stop the obvious early departures followed by huge lunges forwards, which were very common until a few years back. I do think that’s why we rarely see it being called on those borderline infractions as it happened here; you’ll also not see many fans from professional teams complaining about it not being called in cases similar to the these, maybe a sign that most fans are also okay with a little bit of interpretation?

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Fact of the matter is that the fans shouldn't have all been asked to leave. Even if they are acting bad, I think they deserve several warnings before resorting to this.

You know what they were doing and that they weren’t warned?

Lot of very sure people with very little information.

• Agree
Reactions: 1100011CS

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Thanks for clarifying. 100% the rule says that goalie leaving the line early is a penalty... soccer has always had plenty of rules that some “common sense” and sometimes interpretation is used. This specific case would not be called >99% of the time, in my opinion it is because there is some “common sense” that the goalie did not obtain an unfair advantage.

In my opinion, and I believed it to be widely shared by others as well, this rule was created to stop the obvious early departures followed by huge lunges forwards, which were very common until a few years back. I do think that’s why we rarely see it being called on those borderline infractions as it happened here; you’ll also not see many fans from professional teams complaining about it not being called in cases similar to the these, maybe a sign that most fans are also okay with a little bit of interpretation?
So in a dead ball situation and there is a wall placed share with us why fifa et al went to allowing the referee identify a line that the defensive players in wall can’t encroach past said line?

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
So in a dead ball situation and there is a wall placed share with us why fifa et al went to allowing the referee identify a line that the defensive players in wall can’t encroach past said line?

Are you asking me why a wall can’t move closer to the ball than 10 yards? If so, than it is because the defender will be taking away shot angles from the offense a.k.a making more difficult for the shot to go on goal or for a crossing to be on target... I am assuming you already knew that tho.

Back to my point regarding common sense, during every free quick there should be no defensive player within 10 yards of the ball. That’s almost never enforced when the foul is far away from the opponents box... why? Because there is almost always no unfair advantage obtained.

All I was saying is that IMO, not every soccer rule needs to be enforced rigorously, and from what I see that is kind of how the sport is currently. I completely get where some of you are coming from, but I just don’t think that’s how the game is refereed nowadays.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Are you asking me why a wall can’t move closer to the ball than 10 yards? If so, than it is because the defender will be taking away shot angles from the offense a.k.a making more difficult for the shot to go on goal or for a crossing to be on target... I am assuming you already knew that tho.

Back to my point regarding common sense, during every free quick there should be no defensive player within 10 yards of the ball. That’s almost never enforced when the foul is far away from the opponents box... why? Because there is almost always no unfair advantage obtained.

All I was saying is that IMO, not every soccer rule needs to be enforced rigorously, and from what I see that is kind of how the sport is currently. I completely get where some of you are coming from, but I just don’t think that’s how the game is refereed nowadays.
That is the point. It changes the angle of the shot.

I played domestically and overseas. I understand the game. There is a reason for the rule. Furthermore, you quick kick is a non-starter. The offense and defense has to wait for a whistle when the wall is requested just as in a pk. You are conflating things that aren’t analogous.

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
That is the point. It changes the angle of the shot.

I played domestically and overseas. I understand the game. There is a reason for the rule. Furthermore, you quick kick is a non-starter. The offense and defense has to wait for a whistle when the wall is requested just as in a pk. You are conflating things that aren’t analogous.

Take away quick restarts, for example the ref says to wait for the whistle because there was a sub, or a card, etc... the distance still not enforced. Some of you want all the rules to be enforced no matter what, and I totally get that. Sounds like you’ve played the game quite a bit then, there has always been and likely there will always be some play-on/common sense/interpretation on when to make some calls, that’s all I’m saying.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Take away quick restarts, for example the ref says to wait for the whistle because there was a sub, or a card, etc... the distance still not enforced. Some of you want all the rules to be enforced no matter what, and I totally get that. Sounds like you’ve played the game quite a bit then, there has always been and likely there will always be some play-on/common sense/interpretation on when to make some calls, that’s all I’m saying.
The rule on free kicks will be enforced from anywhere on the pitch if the kicking team requests their 10 yards. Try standing 2 feet in front of the ball on a free kick anywhere on the pitch and see if you are directed to move. They generally don't ask for it because there is no advantage and often a disadvantage to waiting for the center to walk off 10 yards rather than taking the quick kick when you are in your defensive third or often even in the middle third.

As others have said coming off the line is an automatic violation that is supposed to be always enforced if the PK is unsuccessful and never enforced if the PK is successful - by rule. I haven't seen a keeper get booked for coming off the line, but if it is egregious and the player has been warned repeatedly a caution may be appropriate.

• Agree
Reactions: jmb

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Interesting that IFAB rules indicate that a keeper leaving his/her line and thwarting a PK is cautioned while the FIFA rules are silent on a caution but simply indicate that the kick is retaken.

putsky

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 13, 2009
Harlan, IA
fhAIbLB.gif

This thread has everything

• Funny
Reactions: isufbcurt

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron