Snowflake ref

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
I love how people who us the term snowflake to refer to someone being a little ***** are actually to much of a little ***** to actually call someone a little *****.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
No reason to even make that call. Yea he left the line, but the shot was in the middle of the goal. Leaving the line early gave the goalie zero advantage.

Are you sure he left the line early. The video I watched, his right foot was still clearly on the line when the player strikes the ball.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
I was a ref for 15 years, you learn fairly quickly that spectators are the bottom rung of sports and should be fully ignored.

One side effect is that I can't watch a game with someone who whines about every call, it's physically impossible for me. I'd rather listen to finger nails on a chalkboard for hours on end.

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
Are you sure he left the line early. The video I watched, his right foot was still clearly on the line when the player strikes the ball.

I only watched the video once and at first glance I thought he did, but I could be wrong.

Assuming he did... I’d only make the call if he saved a shoot that was not in the middle of the goal. In case other people don’t know this, leaving the line early is a penalty because it makes easier to defend shots towards the sides, since the goalie minimizes the distance between the goal and ball. It makes no difference in a shot in the middle of the goal; the right thing to do is to warn the goalie saying “hey, watch your foot, if you save a shot towards the corners I’ll have to call it back” ... there no drama.

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
Yeah, they should NEVER enforce the rules...I mean, why have rules?

A penalty is a penalty because it gives somebody an unfair advantage. In this scenario there was no unfair advantage. I elaborated a little more above. In soccer there are offsides all the time that are not called, because the player in the offside position had no impact on the play; therefore no unfair advantage.

• Disagree
Reactions: flycy and VeloClone

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
A penalty is a penalty because it gives somebody an unfair advantage. In this scenario there was no unfair advantage. I elaborated a little more above. In soccer there are offsides all the time that are not called, because the player in the offside position had no impact on the play; therefore no unfair advantage.

Thanks for the clarification. Perhaps they should officiate others sports similarly. How many football games have you watched where gains are nullified due to penalties that occur away from the plays?

• Agree
Reactions: SoapyCy and aauummm

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA

There is no such thing as playing advantage on a PK

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale

Seeing a little bit more info on it I think it is clear the ref overreacted. Sounds like there were some extenuating circumstances with the IHSAA as well. John and Keith don’t realize a lot of the ref shortage is the fault of the organizations themselves.

• Disagree
Reactions: 3TrueFans

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I know most soccer rules, but was the goalie carded for stepping off the line or for behavior after it was called? I've never heard of getting a yellow for that, and I can't find it specifically anywhere online. Or was he warned and kept doing it?

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
Not to mention if a goalie is off his line early it might throw off the kicker, maybe he sees him leave early and last minute changes his mind and goes to the middle knowing the corners just got smaller.

Maybe I am not being clear enough... yes the rule needs to be called when it impacts the outcome of the pk. In this case I don’t even think the goalie left the line and if he did it was so minor that no advantage was really gained. This rule is in place to keep goalies from taking big lounges forward like almost every pk in the video below starting around 4:19.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Bigman38

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
This is wrong
Care to elaborate? Not saying I’m right or wrong, but I also played soccer for +15 years of my life, so if nothing else I am at least educated on the matter.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron