Credit Card Mastery / Cash Back Systems

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I keep it simple right now. Fidelity Rewards Visa. 2% cash back on everything, no cash back limits and no fees. Could do better juggling cards but not sure I want to deal with the hassle.

• Agree
Reactions: Dopey

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
I use a capital one spark. The first offer they sent was 1.5% cash back on everything with a $500 bonus with a 3 month spend of $3000. Then they offered a another $500 on a 2% cash back card with the same spend. Didn't think they'd be dumb enough to send me another $500 but they did. That one has a $60 annual fee, but I spend around $7000 per month so it's more than worth it. (mostly thru business) Adds up quick.

I will never ever do business with Chase for as long as I live.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
For a long time, we used a Choice Privileges card because they always run specials and easy ways to earn bonus points. We got 10+ free nights per year at Quality Inn type hotels.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Amex Blue Preferred for 6% back on Groceries, 3% back on gas, and (this is a new feature) 3% back on streaming app services such as YoutubeTV or Netflix.
Citi Double Cash Back card for 1% back everything else and an additional 1% back when you pay the card balance (Essentially 2% total cash back)

Never carry a balance beyond the grace period.

Even better - 6% on streaming services. :cool:

Reactions: CysRage

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I use Discover. Usually redeem points for Lowe's gift cards.

On the off chance someone doesn't take Discover, my debit card is a Visa.

I don't bend over backwards to maximize rewards

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018

Rewards or not, never use a debit card. If fraud happens a debit card is your money on the line. A credit card is the banks money. The only thing a debit card should be used for is the ATM.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

if you ever travel much, Discover doesn't seem to be widely accepted in the UK/Canada.

• Informative
Reactions: Dopey

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
About 5 years ago I did this for some unexpected expenses as opposed to pulling money out of savings. In my limited experience, companies seem to be using balance transfer fees and/or reduced credit limits to remove any advantage.

My question: have any of you noticed dings on your credit score for number of open lines and/or closing lines?

NOPE

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I've decided to go with this 3 card strategy for the time being:

• Amazon Prime Visa: 5% on Amazon.com, 2% on restaurants & drugstores
  • Amex Blue Cash Preferred (Amex BCP): 6% on Groceries up to $6,000 (includes Walmart grocery!), 6% on Streaming, and 3% on Gas - $95 fee, but worth it! ($265 net per year on groceries alone) AND will give a $250 sign on bonus (my custom offer was $300!) with $1,000 spend in first 3 months. Could downgrade after year 1 to avoid that fee, but prob. won’t.
  • Citi Rewards + / Citi Double Cash (Citi): The only reason I got the Citi Rewards + was just to get the $150 sign on bonus. For that I need $1,000 spend in the first 3 months. Then I will convert to Citi Double Cash and get 2% cash-back on everything. This is the “EE” (Everything Else) card.
If anyone is thinking about the Amex BCP, I would get a refer-a-friend credit if you use this link when applying, so that would make me happy!

Would anyone be interested in an explanation of what I've done / how I will use them in a video - esp on how to get the 6% back on Wal-Mart grocery orders?

Reactions: dmclone

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
I have an offer on a new credit card through my bank. Spend $500 by the end of February and get a $200 cash bonus.

Any downside to opening this and closing it out after the reward?

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I have an offer on a new credit card through my bank. Spend $500 by the end of February and get a $200 cash bonus.

That will ding your credit score, closing an account that soon.
If there's no annual fee, you might as well keep the account open. No real downside there.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Well, 1. anytime you apply for new credit, such as this offer, it dings your credit score. It may not be a major hit, like not paying on time, but there is a ding. The ding may not matter if your credit is good otherwise. 2. Is the $200 bonus worth your time and energy? 3. Would you be tempted to "buy more" or buy something you might not otherwise get in order to satisfy the $500 by February requirement? If so, I would question it's utility.

Reactions: 5Cy

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009

If you are not looking to get a mortgage or finance a vehicle in the next year, I say go for it. But more credit inquiries before a home or vehicle purchase can keep you from getting the best rate possible.

Reactions: CycloneNorth

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest

There are all kinds of offers like that. Nothing wrong with it as long as you have the willpower to only buy things you would have bought anyhow. (ie - you can pay your car insurance on a credit card, utility bills, groceries, etc) & pay it off at least monthly.

Are you planning to be a "player" in the near future in credit card rewards? If so, look into the Chase 5/24 rule first. If not, go for it. Feel free to message me if questions.

Re: closing a card hurting your credit? Probably not.
Here's a good video that explains it: link to video

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
There are all kinds of offers like that. Nothing wrong with it as long as you have the willpower to only buy things you would have bought anyhow. (ie - you can pay your car insurance on a credit card, utility bills, groceries, etc) & pay it off at least monthly.

Are you planning to be a "player" in the near future in credit card rewards? If so, look into the Chase 5/24 rule first. If not, go for it. Feel free to message me if questions.

Re: closing a card hurting your credit? Probably not.
Here's a good video that explains it: link to video

Thanks. Just going to use it to buy a new phone (I’m currently using an iPhone 5S I bought in January 2014) and will probably use the extra $200 on groceries.

No big purchases coming up so it looks like I should be fine.

Reactions: khardbored

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Thanks. Just going to use it to buy a new phone (I’m currently using an iPhone 5S I bought in January 2014) and will probably use the extra $200 on groceries.

No big purchases coming up so it looks like I should be fine.

Ha! I also have an iPhone 5! (mine is just a 5, not even a 5s!) It's hanging in there ... barely!

stvfarmboy

May 20, 2006
Ames, IA
I've decided to go with this 3 card strategy for the time being:

• Amazon Prime Visa: 5% on Amazon.com, 2% on restaurants & drugstores
  • Amex Blue Cash Preferred (Amex BCP): 6% on Groceries up to $6,000 (includes Walmart grocery!), 6% on Streaming, and 3% on Gas - $95 fee, but worth it! ($265 net per year on groceries alone) AND will give a $250 sign on bonus (my custom offer was $300!) with $1,000 spend in first 3 months. Could downgrade after year 1 to avoid that fee, but prob. won’t.
  • Citi Rewards + / Citi Double Cash (Citi): The only reason I got the Citi Rewards + was just to get the $150 sign on bonus. For that I need $1,000 spend in the first 3 months. Then I will convert to Citi Double Cash and get 2% cash-back on everything. This is the “EE” (Everything Else) card.
If anyone is thinking about the Amex BCP, I would get a refer-a-friend credit if you use this link when applying, so that would make me happy!

Would anyone be interested in an explanation of what I've done / how I will use them in a video - esp on how to get the 6% back on Wal-Mart grocery orders?

I used your link to apply for the Blue Cash card, so you should be getting a credit. If anyone else is interested in the Blue Cash card, my referral link is: LINK

I've been thinking about getting a different card for rewards, and this thread helped decide which one to get. Thanks all for the information.

Reactions: khardbored

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I used your link to apply for the Blue Cash card, so you should be getting a credit. If anyone else is interested in the Blue Cash card, my referral link is: LINK

I've been thinking about getting a different card for rewards, and this thread helped decide which one to get. Thanks all for the information.

Awesome, thanks!