Snowflake ref

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
That's a bad look. People are a**holes, especially in sports, but kicking out an entire fanbase that isn't changing the game on the field is pretty weak. A few problem people here and there I can understand, but not the whole stand.

• Agree
Reactions: HoustonClone

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Barely came off the line and gained no advantage and ref screwed up by making a bad call then compounded it by tossing fans that were 50 yards away from him. If Im a parent I would be pissed too.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Interesting choice by the soccer referee. I was a soccer referee for competitive leagues (travel leagues) when I was in high school. It's been a while, so things may be different, but I was always taught to not deal with fans, and only deal with the coach. The coach was responsible for the fans, therefore, if the fans were giving you a hard time, you told the coach to deal with it, and if that didn't work, you threw the coach out. If things didn't get better, you stopped the game and left, reporting what had happened to the power that be for them to decide what actions to take.

I almost believe that there were probably other things going on throughout the game. Spectators can be cruel and lose all respect for other humans. My assumption is that whatever happened that forced the referee to throw the fans out had been building up all game, and the fans finally crossed the line.

• Agree
Reactions: flycy

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
In top level European soccer they sometimes play closed door games with no fans because they can’t conduct themselves in a civil manner.

Usually in the countries that the US is starting to resemble more and more like Russia, Turkey, Hungary, Italy. You know...all of the great nations.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Ejected the entire fan section for being upset over a call? Don't know if anyone said anything out of line, but even then, quite the overreaction.

Jeez, that must have been quite the match.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
What are the odds that this ref has been harassed by these fans before?

Reactions: wxman1 and Doc

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
In soccer it probably does. Advantage is regularly played. Don’t know the rules well enough to have an opinion here though.

Not sure what happened but seems like an overreaction to eject everyone. It wouldn’t surprise me if some people did something to be ejected. It would surprise me if everyone did.

I don’t know the details here but in my experience there was likely a warning given to the goalie earlier.

You don’t see it much but clearly the right call.