Credit Card Mastery / Cash Back Systems

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Personally, I love the idea of finding ways to maximize the benefits of credit cards. However, I try not to use credit cards with local small business establishments because the vendor is the one paying for most of your benefits. Thus, I like to pay with debit, check, or cash when I know the owner is local, such as non-franchise restaurants, lawn mower repair, etc.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
For me, I have three cards. I have the capital one quicksilver card, which gives me 1.5% on every purchase. I have the Bank of America Cash Rewards card that give me 3% of gas/grocery, 2 % of the other between gas/grocery, and 1% on everything else. I then have a US bank credit card, which I have had since college with no rewards. I use the capital one for all purchases other than gas and grocery. I stay away from the rotating reward cards because I would probably forget to pick a category, and often rarely buy specialty categories (home improvement, entertainment, etc.). For my purchases, this works well for me and they do not include an annual fee.

With the restaurant and hotel cards, I would check to see what restaurants and hotels qualify. I looked at another credit card briefly for restaurants, and it only applied to chain restaurant groups. Something I was not particularly interested in. Although if there is one that applies to all restaurants, even local mom and pop shops, please let me know because I would be interested!

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
With the restaurant and hotel cards, I would check to see what restaurants and hotels qualify. I looked at another credit card briefly for restaurants, and it only applied to chain restaurant groups. Something I was not particularly interested in. Although if there is one that applies to all restaurants, even local mom and pop shops, please let me know because I would be interested!
The Chase Sapphire considers local restaurants for the 2x points. I've only seen a 2 or 3 come across as Groceries or general Shopping instead of Food and Drink in the 6+ months we've had the card. I've read they tend to be pretty generous with the Travel category too compared to others.

DevilDog

Apr 9, 2006
Janesville
I have the Delta American Express & my wife has the Marriott Visa which we use for all purchases & pay off each month. Taking yet another almost free trip next month!

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
A little off topic but does anyone here play in the balance transfer arbitrage space?

Scale is the name of the game here, but with savings rates ticking up slightly, it has been making me reconsider.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
"Grandpa, how did you get so rich? Well, Timmy, I invested a lot of time researching and paying various credit cards that gave me points."

Sorry I couldn't resist. I use one card, 1% on everything, 5% on quarterly rotating categories. Probably need to make a switch.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

Just as example of how good Chase is with restaurants.

2664PEPSIVEN9147678600-A pop machine
BUBBA - SOUTHERN COMFORTS
STARBUCKS
MISTRESS BREWING COMPANY
PASCHALS B-Not even sure what this is. Wife traveling
TST* THE KEG STAND
MANGIA TUTTO LLC
IOWA TAPROOM
COCA COLA WAUKEE-Pop machine
PEI WEI CONC C MSP
515 BREWING COMPANY

I've never had it not pick up a restaurant and it sometimes considers restaurants that are not.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
For me, I have three cards. I have the capital one quicksilver card, which gives me 1.5% on every purchase. I have the Bank of America Cash Rewards card that give me 3% of gas/grocery, 2 % of the other between gas/grocery, and 1% on everything else. I then have a US bank credit card, which I have had since college with no rewards. I use the capital one for all purchases other than gas and grocery. I stay away from the rotating reward cards because I would probably forget to pick a category, and often rarely buy specialty categories (home improvement, entertainment, etc.). For my purchases, this works well for me and they do not include an annual fee.

The Uber Visa should pick this up. as long as the merchant codes themselves as restaurant, fast food, or bars.

If it's something else, it's likely the "fault" of the local establishment who set up their merchant codes wrong with Visa.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Amex Blue Preferred for 6% back on Groceries, 3% back on gas, and (this is a new feature) 3% back on streaming app services such as YoutubeTV or Netflix.
Citi Double Cash Back card for 1% back everything else and an additional 1% back when you pay the card balance (Essentially 2% total cash back)

Never carry a balance beyond the grace period.

• Agree
Reactions: mkadl

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
A little off topic but does anyone here play in the balance transfer arbitrage space?

Scale is the name of the game here, but with savings rates ticking up slightly, it has been making me reconsider.

About 5 years ago I did this for some unexpected expenses as opposed to pulling money out of savings. In my limited experience, companies seem to be using balance transfer fees and/or reduced credit limits to remove any advantage.

My question: have any of you noticed dings on your credit score for number of open lines and/or closing lines?

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
If anyone is doing a remodel, lowes has 5% duscount on everything in their store purchased with their card. Home depot's card itself isnt great but once you have it they continually send 10% off coupons. To use with their card.

Beyond that i use bank of america card:
3% home improvement
2% gas
1% everything

Using these 3 combined ive probably saved $500/year just on home remodel.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
About 5 years ago I did this for some unexpected expenses as opposed to pulling money out of savings. In my limited experience, companies seem to be using balance transfer fees and/or reduced credit limits to remove any advantage.

My question: have any of you noticed dings on your credit score for number of open lines and/or closing lines?
From what I've gleaned from the credit score stuff I get from various credit card cos., closing accounts is not a hit on your credit score, but opening accounts certainly is. It's nothing like the hit you'd get from not paying your bill on time, but it has some effect. Also, what I think I'm seeing is that 1 or 2 years (opening within) is the window they look at (depending on the credit agency).

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
My current card lineup:

-Amex Blue Cash Blue Cash Preferred for groceries (6%) and gas (3%)
-Chas Sapphire Preferred for travel and dining (double points)
-Fidelity Signature Rewards for everything else (2% on all transactions)

I also recently opened a United card and Marriot card just to get the initial sign on bonuses. IMO, that's where you can really rack up the rewards as long as you use them for manufactured spend. Reddit churning is a great resource for this, even has a nice flowchart that's really easy to follow for those new to the churning game.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Amex Blue Preferred for 6% back on Groceries, 3% back on gas, and (this is a new feature) 3% back on streaming app services such as YoutubeTV or Netflix.
Citi Double Cash Back card for 1% back everything else and an additional 1% back when you pay the card balance (Essentially 2% total cash back)

Never carry a balance beyond the grace period.

Finally was able to locate the full list of new services. Looks like the streaming also includes the music services like Spotify.

They don't have Vue listed unfortunately :mad:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
My current card lineup:

-Amex Blue Cash Blue Cash Preferred for groceries (6%) and gas (3%)
-Chas Sapphire Preferred for travel and dining (double points)
-Fidelity Signature Rewards for everything else (2% on all transactions)

I also recently opened a United card and Marriot card just to get the initial sign on bonuses. IMO, that's where you can really rack up the rewards as long as you use them for manufactured spend. Reddit churning is a great resource for this, even has a nice flowchart that's really easy to follow for those new to the churning game.

The United card sign up bonus is deceiving. The miles are real, but you have to plan ahead to get a 12.5k saver trip. My Alamo Bowl trip took 50k for each of us.

Also the United Club "passes" are "day passes," not annual memberships.

The Marriott card sign up bonus is essentially 1 night at a true Marriott and 2 nights at a Courtyard or Fairfield.