Friday OT #2 - People Are Strange

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
What is something that is a little weird/goofy that you love? Bands, songs, shows, books - what do you love?

Two of my favorite weird bands are Electric Six and Republican Hair. They're both fantastically weird.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
And if you're going to post weird bands you like, I suggest posting samples.

My musical tastes have been politely referred to as eclectic. I like a lot of different kinds of music, some main stream, others not even close.

Here's a band that I like, that's pretty dang weird, but this is also one of the coolest videos I've ever seen!

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Bands:
Flaming Lips
March Fourth Marching Band
Slim Cessna's Auto Club
Gwar

Authors:
Only read a couple, but Kurt Vonnegut is super weird
Starting to read some David Wong, definitely weird

Movies:
The Hudsucker Proxy - I maintain that this is the best Coen Bros film

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Bands:
Flaming Lips
March Fourth Marching Band
Slim Cessna's Auto Club
Gwar

Authors:
Only read a couple, but Kurt Vonnegut is super weird
Starting to read some David Wong, definitely weird

Movies:
The Hudsucker Proxy - I maintain that this is the best Coen Bros film

Vonnegut is definitely weird, but amazing. Try out some Chuck Palahniuk (beyond just "Fight Club") if you're looking for another great author who is weird.

I should have put in examples from my "weird" bands. These are semi-SFW, beware:

Electric Six - "Danger High Voltage!" (yes, that is Jack White in the chorus):

Republican Hair - "Miss Prince"

I drove to Iowa City to watch Republican Hair open for Cadillac Three this spring, and they were just as fun and weird live.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I like bologna sandwiches with peanut butter. Makes the vixen gag.
AS9Mkhv.gif

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Not to Touch the Earth is my favorite Doors song. I think that qualifies as a strange song, even for a Doors song.

Also, I really like the movie Cabin Boy starring Chris Elliott.
giphy.gif

• Funny
Reactions: cyhiphopp and Angie

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Vonnegut is definitely weird, but amazing. Try out some Chuck Palahniuk (beyond just "Fight Club") if you're looking for another great author who is weird.

I should have put in examples from my "weird" bands. These are semi-SFW, beware:

Electric Six - "Danger High Voltage!" (yes, that is Jack White in the chorus):

Republican Hair - "Miss Prince"

I drove to Iowa City to watch Republican Hair open for Cadillac Three this spring, and they were just as fun and weird live.

Totally agree on Chuck. He's awesome!

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I get into odd obsessions here & there.

Past couple of years, I've been consumed with a certain niche of nature documentaries, specifically African wildlife and predator/prey interaction. In itself, that might not be unusual. Weird part is, for some reason, I find viewing it relaxing.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
An off-the-wall reading phase I had several years ago was the pop cutlure-and-philosophy series and its ilk. Such as "Seinfeld and Philosophy"; "The Beatles and ...". Etcetera. Also devoured "The Pig That Wants to Be Eaten," which I recommend as a quick-read primer to classic philosophical quandaries.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I get into odd obsessions here & there.

Past couple of years, I've been consumed with a certain niche of nature documentaries, specifically African wildlife and predator/prey interaction. In itself, that might not be unusual. Weird part is, for some reason, I find viewing it relaxing.

I tend to agree with this...I think it's because nothing in those shows happens very quickly, i.e. they film the entire process of a predator stalking something or whatever.

Also typically there's no music.

I know you can just mute something, but it's baffling whenever someone makes a youtube video for backpacking/fishing etc. that they have to include some generic rock music with it instead of the sounds that were actually included.

Reactions: cyclones500