lawn mower recommendations

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Won't recommend, but places that do both sales and service per Honda (in central Iowa) include - most all Van Wall Equipment, Bomgaars, Garvis Honda, Acme Tools, Northern Equipment, and Mills FleetFarm.

Thanks! I do think you got a good point about buying from a place that can service as well.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I'm looking for a new residential mower. My 13 year old Honda HRX is slowly fading and want something new to use at my house. Looking for something that I can use at least twice a week on a 11,000 square foot lot that will be reliable for several years. Considering the Toro Timemaster with the 30 inch cut, but I've been reading some conflicting reviews. Any input would be appreciated.

Do you want to walk or ride? I really like grasshopper mowers but personally don't think you have a enough yard to justify one. Toro has a solid rep in both the walk behind and riding types.

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
I would not recommend the Honda HRR mower. It has poor quality of cut at heights above 3". It looks to be a deck design issue. When in mulching mode the right front has significant blow down that causes the grass to lay down and not get cut. From my research it appears the more expensive HRX doesn't have this issue. When bagging, the grass clippings accumulate in the notches where the bag attaches and after a while the bag can fall off and you're forced to clean out those notches. The belt that engages the self propel feature gets stretched over time and then you're forced to tighten the belt. My also seems to not run smoothly occasionally and then suddenly runs fine.

I think I'd go with a battery mower these days if I had less than 2500 sq. feet, otherwise Toro personal pace or Timemaster. Since I only mow the front 1000 and some trim work with the little mower, my next one will be electric but honestly not sure which one. The EGO mower definitely has some cut quality issues mainly due to bouncing around over bumps as a light mower and that's probably an issue with all the battery options right now.

My other mower is a Kubota WG-14 36". It's an entry level commercial walk behind that's built like a tank. It's got some quirks but does the job.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I've got a 54 inch John Deere......

If size of the area for the mower are irrelevant. I own a 62” John Deere.

Now the one I use at the house in town for three lots is 46”. The one neighbor has a lot and a half with his two 54s.

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
Things must have changed. Got a Lowe's mulcher over 11 years ago and starts often on the first pull, powerful, and runs like a charm. Only problem I have is the height adjustment is difficult to reset, well it may take a little more gas, too.

Equipment sold at big box stores is fine, but they don't do warranty work if you have it. They send you elsewhere for warranty work on the brand you buy. When I thought I might have work under warranty, the servicer I was referred to said they do the claim paperwork for units they sell, I must do the claim paperwork for a unit purchased at another seller. It's just something to know before one buys. My Lowe's Husqvarna works great a couple years in and my past mowers lasted 10 or more years each - Snapper and Craftsman.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
I have a Husqvarna LC221RH from Lowes that I bought last summer, mow about once every week and half. so far have had it out twice this year and it runs fine. Starts on the 2nd pull most times. I run over pine cones and twigs with it and the blades handle it. I do notice it bogs down in my back yard were the grass gets super thick/long, I tend to slow down through there or end up killing the mower and needing to clear the deck of the build up. otherwise I've been happy with it so far. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Husqvarna-...d-Gas-Lawn-Mower-with-Honda-Engine/1000178955

will probably be upgrading to a riding mower at some point as I need to be able to move snow over the winter time, so far trying to find a good older heavy duty garden tractor, but something that doesn't have over a 50"deck as that will be over kill on my 1/3 acre yard.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Must be, since I've never heard of them.

I work for Toro, therefore they are the best.

When I want ice cream, I go to Dairy Queen not McDonalds.
When I want lawn equipment, I use Toro.

Dairy Queen is your go to for ice cream? Try some place local, man, don't know what you're missing!

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
Won't recommend, but places that do both sales and service per Honda (in central Iowa) include - most all Van Wall Equipment, Bomgaars, Garvis Honda, Acme Tools, Northern Equipment, and Mills Fleet.

Bought my Honda HRX 217 online at Mowers Direct. Beat the local dealers by $100 and it mows flawlessly. Really like the cut from the twin blades. Mulches and bags really well, too.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Must be, since I've never heard of them.

I work for Toro, therefore they are the best.

When I want ice cream, I go to Dairy Queen not McDonalds.
When I want lawn equipment, I use Toro.
Dixie choppers was one of the first zero turns out there. I'd take one of them any day over a Toro.

Toro has gone down hill in quality though, ever since they stopped production of the heavy duty wheel horse line.

Reactions: ruflosn

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Have 1998 snapper rider
product_6886_500.jpg

28" deck

- it was in the shop this week borrowed the neighbors John Deere 54" deck mowed my lawn so fast i couldn't believe it. so nice to drive i did his yard and his neighbor in time it usually takes me to do mine.

Help Support Us

Become a patron