Game of Thrones Season 8

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
her and Dany get a lot of flack, because I don't think people like to read/watch teenage girls that crush a lot.

Yeah, I don't think that's it. Arya was beloved. Sansa was a pretty annoying character early on then kind of hung out a lot of the time. People loved Dany at least until she burned everything down.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
Yeah, I don't think that's it. Arya was beloved. Sansa was a pretty annoying character early on then kind of hung out a lot of the time. People loved Dany at least until she burned everything down.

Arya people love because she is not a typical teenage girl. Maybe it is a bookreader thing, but a lot of people dislike Dany and Sansa for that reason from what i have seen. They find it tedious, and it is, but it's a part of their character. Still no where near as tedious as Aeron Damphair.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone and BryceC

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Arya people love because she is not a typical teenage girl. Maybe it is a bookreader thing, but a lot of people dislike Dany and Sansa for that reason from what i have seen. They find it tedious, and it is, but it's a part of their character. Still no where near as tedious as Aeron Damphair.

I've never liked Sansa because she was a total pain in the ass in the books, especially early on - SO MUCH WHINING. All of the mooning over Joffrey, and diming out Ned which led to him being killed. I also don't like Cat, because her inability to mother all of her children and think with logic rather than emotions helped start a war.

However, I always liked Dany. It has nothing to do with being a girl for any of these characters, and Dany just used the resources available to her to learn more and make more of herself rather than whine. She's just far more likable.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
I've never liked Sansa because she was a total pain in the ass in the books, especially early on - SO MUCH WHINING. All of the mooning over Joffrey, and diming out Ned which led to him being killed. I also don't like Cat, because her inability to mother all of her children and think with logic rather than emotions helped start a war.

However, I always liked Dany. It has nothing to do with being a girl for any of these characters, and Dany just used the resources available to her to learn more and make more of herself rather than whine. She's just far more likable.

I thought the characters were true to who they were. The good, the bad, the admirable, the not so admirable. When you read Fantasy you usually get heroes, heroine’s, warriors. To me, the variety of character and complexity is what makes it special.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014

This is what makes Thrones so good. Dany starts out so awesome, so fearless, so resourceful, and so smart - then, kind of gets a big head about it, Sansa starts our as a whiny 11 year old preteen being exactly what she was raised to be, a lady betrothed to a king's 1st born son. Then she gets passed around and mistreated and figures out how to survive. But, by the end, her sole focus is on the people of the north, having food, shelter, protection, even bringing them into their "home," and her family, where Dany, who was somewhat about the people all along, even dealing with the walkers, seemed to forget it somehow at the end. I think the books will help her storyline the best, I hope. I have been reflecting though, that perhaps her willingness to help Jon with fighting the NK was about helping Jon, and not fighting the Others.

Reactions: isutrevman

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

Her chapters in the book were usually entertaining because she was in the middle of the action in Kings Lansing (similar to Caetelyn, didn’t love the character but she had good chapters). I remember Briennes whining in AFFC driving me crazy more than any other character. Sams internal perspective was also tough to trudge through at times.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Her chapters in the book were usually entertaining because she was in the middle of the action in Kings Lansing (similar to Caetelyn, didn’t love the character but she had good chapters). I remember Briennes whining in AFFC driving me crazy more than any other character. Sams internal perspective was also tough to trudge through at times.
Generally the new POV characters were always the worst to start each book mainly because they introduced a new storyline that I didn’t care about. Often by the end of the book they were some of my favorites. It’s been over 5 years since I read the books but here’s who I remember having the toughest POV chapters to get through.

Daenarys in the first book and some of the second. Mainly due to the fact that her story is pretty much separate from everyone else’s. Up until the House of the Undying I generally stopped reading every time I got to one of her chapters.

Brienne: looking for Arya and Sansa when you know what they’re actually doing/where they are isn’t riveting reading.

Arianne: the all time worst POV character in another storyline that doesn’t matter much. She’s locked up in a tower most of the damn time. I sometimes think Martin invented her just to talk about her massive breasts.

I do however like every initial POV character of each book because I know they’re going to die in a pretty interesting manner.

• Agree
Reactions: CloneIce

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
Generally the new POV characters were always the worst to start each book mainly because they introduced a new storyline that I didn’t care about. Often by the end of the book they were some of my favorites. It’s been over 5 years since I read the books but here’s who I remember having the toughest POV chapters to get through.

Daenarys in the first book and some of the second. Mainly due to the fact that her story is pretty much separate from everyone else’s. Up until the House of the Undying I generally stopped reading every time I got to one of her chapters.

Brienne: looking for Arya and Sansa when you know what they’re actually doing/where they are isn’t riveting reading.

Arianne: the all time worst POV character in another storyline that doesn’t matter much. She’s locked up in a tower most of the damn time. I sometimes think Martin invented her just to talk about her massive breasts.

I do however like every initial POV character of each book because I know they’re going to die in a pretty interesting manner.

I may be one of the few who likes the Dorne stuff. How you feel about Adrianne is how I feel about anything Ironborn.

Brienne’s trudge thru Westeros, as much as, I love Brienne, I did not like first time through. But you get the Broken Man speech which is an incredible reflection on Medieval warfare from the soldiers perspective. And Nimble ****.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I may be one of the few who likes the Dorne stuff. How you feel about Adrianne is how I feel about anything Ironborn.

Brienne’s trudge thru Westeros, as much as, I love Brienne, I did not like first time through. But you get the Broken Man speech which is an incredible reflection on Medieval warfare from the soldiers perspective. And Nimble ****.
I wanted to like Dorne, especially since Oberyn is my favorite character in the entire series, but it just adds so little, yet complicates the story in so many other ways. If Martin leaves out Dorne and Euron/Victarion I guarantee he would’ve finished the books by now. I get his want for each of the seven kingdoms being a player in all of this, but it has potentially ruined his ability to finish the books.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'd choose Bran. He can literally see glimpses of the future and outcomes of his decisions before they happen. He also has access to his own "little birds" throughout the world. He can call people on their bull**** if they lie to him.

Actually......he could only really see the outcome of the decisions that he actually took, so if the result is bad, even changing his decision shouldn't change the outcome of it.

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
This is what makes Thrones so good. Dany starts out so awesome, so fearless, so resourceful, and so smart - then, kind of gets a big head about it, Sansa starts our as a whiny 11 year old preteen being exactly what she was raised to be, a lady betrothed to a king's 1st born son. Then she gets passed around and mistreated and figures out how to survive. But, by the end, her sole focus is on the people of the north, having food, shelter, protection, even bringing them into their "home," and her family, where Dany, who was somewhat about the people all along, even dealing with the walkers, seemed to forget it somehow at the end. I think the books will help her storyline the best, I hope. I have been reflecting though, that perhaps her willingness to help Jon with fighting the NK was about helping Jon, and not fighting the Others.

I agree - but I do think that some of that is a little unlikely, and I don't think Sansa (at least) has started that arc in the books. (To be clear - I'm mostly talking about the books as the true source material.) Sansa had the same upbringing that Arya did, and started off entitled and unkind. She grew strong, which I respect - but her character isn't still very likable in the sense of someone with whom you'd want to hang out for a few days. She's overall cold and mostly worried about herself and (I think to a lesser extent) her own people. It could be argued in the show that she is more worried about being Queen in the North than she is her people's well-being. I don't know that I believe that - it would just be more congruent with her inner drives and her survival arc. I think Dany has always been fearless to a fault - I'm one of the ones who thinks that she was always ruthless and brutal, we're just seeing it through a different lens - but she's still dynamic and more sympathetic as a character and person, even when she's burning KL. I don't know if that makes sense - I am not necessarily saying that one is a better person, just that one is more engaging.

Bran's chapters, especially on the journey north, just about did me in. Tyrion on the ship with Penny is brutal (even though I love Tyrion).

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I agree - but I do think that some of that is a little unlikely, and I don't think Sansa (at least) has started that arc in the books. (To be clear - I'm mostly talking about the books as the true source material.) Sansa had the same upbringing that Arya did, and started off entitled and unkind. She grew strong, which I respect - but her character isn't still very likable in the sense of someone with whom you'd want to hang out for a few days. She's overall cold and mostly worried about herself and (I think to a lesser extent) her own people. It could be argued in the show that she is more worried about being Queen in the North than she is her people's well-being. I don't know that I believe that - it would just be more congruent with her inner drives and her survival arc. I think Dany has always been fearless to a fault - I'm one of the ones who thinks that she was always ruthless and brutal, we're just seeing it through a different lens - but she's still dynamic and more sympathetic as a character and person, even when she's burning KL. I don't know if that makes sense - I am not necessarily saying that one is a better person, just that one is more engaging.

Bran's chapters, especially on the journey north, just about did me in. Tyrion on the ship with Penny is brutal (even though I love Tyrion).

Valid points. I hated the Tyrion/Penny thing too. GRRM weakness is getting TOO deep into some inconsequential story lines. Perhaps I should back off my Sansa "cares about the people," mantra, and state it more like, she knows what good leaders do, which is take care of their people. If her goal is to be queen in the north, she knows that she wouldn't get it without earning the support of northerners, who don't give the fealty easy. Caring about whether they have food, shelter, protection, rest before battle, in the end, is what a good leader would do, regardless of motivation. I enjoyed Dany in the books a lot more. Arya maybe had the same upbringing, but she was clearly interested in other things.

• Agree