Game of Thrones Season 8

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Before this thread fades out in coming days, I wanted to thank everyone who has posted in all these GoT threads for years. Having just started watching the series in January and reading about it extensively since then, these threads were enormously helpful in getting me up to speed on the show, bouncing ideas around, and giving me other angles to think about. It's been a lot of fun.
I found this Wiki to be invaluable over the course of the series; it's easy to navigate, links you to historical info from the books that the show assumes you already know, and gives great breakdowns of the episodes, the characters, and the world they live in.
I also found myself lost in it for hours at a time just following one link to another, so be wary! ;)
https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/Game_of_Thrones_Wiki

Reactions: Trice

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I found this Wiki to be invaluable over the course of the series; it's easy to navigate, links you to historical info from the books that the show assumes you already know, and gives great breakdowns of the episodes, the characters, and the world they live in.
I also found myself lost in it for hours at a time just following one link to another, so be wary! ;)
https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/Game_of_Thrones_Wiki

Yeah, I found that too. Spent more time on it than I care to admit going down all kinds of rabbit holes.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Here here. I remember the first thread on this site when it was in production. It’s been quite a journey!!!
I need to go back & search out the early threads to read through, just for kicks & giggles. I didn't start watching until about season 4 or so...I binged everything up to there.

Orin02

Nov 23, 2012
http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2019/05/20/an-ending/

George's blog post on the ending of the series. Found it interesting, especially how many projects he's tied to.

I read this too. I wonder how involved he is with these things or if they really just want his name attached to get eyeballs. I also wish, just once, he would say "This book is X% complete." I mean, he's been writing it for 8 years. Surely he's got... 600 publishable pages at LEAST. Sorry. Ranting.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I read this too. I wonder how involved he is with these things or if they really just want his name attached to get eyeballs. I also wish, just once, he would say "This book is X% complete." I mean, he's been writing it for 8 years. Surely he's got... 600 publishable pages at LEAST. Sorry. Ranting.

Yeah, he mentions he consulted on a game. I'm sure that amounts to a few meetings where he just shows up and says "sounds good".

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I'd choose Bran. He can literally see glimpses of the future and outcomes of his decisions before they happen. He also has access to his own "little birds" throughout the world. He can call people on their bull**** if they lie to him.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017

Apparently HBO has ordered five different pilot stories for the new prequel, and he is advising on four, and writing the fifth. So they will have a lot to choose from, and he will continue to not work on the books. :mad:

• Funny
Reactions: isutrevman

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
The funniest part for me is they made Dany emotionally mad when she destroyed kings landing but turned around and made her strategically insane when addressing her army and Jon void of emotion and responsibility. They couldn't even keep that consistent. Did she make it personal or was it strategic? Yet it's the fans fault for not buying her turn to madness. Drogon kills pointy chair and not Jon despite feeling what happened through Dany (Assuming) and for some ******* reason even Grey Worm doesn't kill Jon and we get nothing about how Grey Worm truely felt through any of what happened. Stark plot armor the last 2 seasons seems to be 3 layers of Valaryian steel.
I stand by that if they had to ruin the story at the end with Bran the way they did, it would have been interesting if it was revealed at the end that Bran was the villain orchestrating everything in season 8, maybe even manipulating the Night King. Afterall, he let everyone in Kings Landing die knowing Dany would burn them all and he end up on as king. Would have even been cool if a last minute scene of Drogon showing up somewhere east and Dany be resurrected by a red priestess or become the shadow queen of Ashai.
But nah, Starks win, Dum dum Tyrion, crybaby Sam and ******* Bron sit on council of the new kingdom lol. Sansa gets independence and everyone is just cool with it like the North is the only kingdom that suffered... What a ******* joke.

Eh? I thought she showed a ton of emotion in that speech. And “they” never made her mad, that was purely fan interpretation. At no point in the show did they ever indicate she went mad.

• Agree
Reactions: ThatllDoCy

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I'd choose Bran. He can literally see glimpses of the future and outcomes of his decisions before they happen. He also has access to his own "little birds" throughout the world. He can call people on their bull**** if they lie to him.

Bran is the smart choice, nobody else comes close to his knowledge and ability.

It just feels bad because he has been such a nothing burger in the show since he turned into the 3 eyed raven. You can argue he was orchestrating a lot of the goings on but they didn't really show that.

I was really hoping after that Tyrion speech he would have any personality, even just cracking a smile that doesn't make him look like a creeper, but nope, not even when Jon was leaving.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I'll give the prequels a look but my expectations are low. Spin-offs and prequels rarely work because they just aren't the original series. Like I said, I'll watch but it will probably be hard for them to keep my attention unless the new writers do great.

I think that depends on the series and the world that's been built for it.

One thing GRRM has done very well is building an incredibly deep and vast world. Across different areas and eras, this world has as much potential to carry additional stories as the star wars or star trek universes, each of which have spawned a whole bunch of sequels\prequels.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Bran is the smart choice, nobody else comes close to his knowledge and ability.

It just feels bad because he has been such a nothing burger in the show since he turned into the 3 eyed raven. You can argue he was orchestrating a lot of the goings on but they didn't really show that.

I was really hoping after that Tyrion speech he would have any personality, even just cracking a smile that doesn't make him look like a creeper, but nope, not even when Jon was leaving.
wHy Do YoU tHiNk I cAmE aLl ThIs WaY?

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
With all of the projects he's tied to, I wonder how many more years will be added to the wait of Winds release, if it's ever released...

He hasn’t finished it in, what, 8 years? And Around 200 pages were already done when he finished Book 5. It is clear to me that time isn’t his issue. He has lost the story. He is stuck and doesn’t know how to move forward.