Game of Thrones Season 8

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I think one of the advantages this show will have is not being constrained by the books, in that they do not need to wait for GRRM for input. They can develop their own story and hopefully stick to an annual release of the show.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
What do people think about the coming prequels? I'm interested. I will probably give them a look, with a short leash. HBO has already committed to the same budget as the original series. They are filming right now with an estimated release in late 2020 or early 2021. A couple others are in active development.
I'll give the prequels a look but my expectations are low. Spin-offs and prequels rarely work because they just aren't the original series. Like I said, I'll watch but it will probably be hard for them to keep my attention unless the new writers do great.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
My wife and I pitted various characters against each other for fun. Bronn, the Hound, Brienne, Jon, Oberyn, Ser Arthur Dayne, Arya, Grey Worm, Ser Barristan Selmy, Tormund, the Mountain, Jamie (before he lost his right hand)

Jon vs Grey Worm was one such battle.

I argued that Grey Worm would destroy him with his quickness and his spear against that heavy sword. I think Jon would have a hard time getting close enough to land a blow.

Yes, but Jon's sword is a bastard sword, so not full length, and it's Valyrian steel so lighter and sharper.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
I think one of the advantages this show will have is not being constrained by the books, in that they do not need to wait for GRRM for input. They can develop their own story and hopefully stick to an annual release of the show.

I hope they approach it with a fair amount of influence form Historical fiction in terms of storytelling. I thought that was an integral part of the first four season.

• Agree
Reactions: heitclone

Orin02

Nov 23, 2012
I'll give the prequels a look but my expectations are low. Spin-offs and prequels rarely work because they just aren't the original series. Like I said, I'll watch but it will probably be hard for them to keep my attention unless the new writers do great.

This mirrors my thoughts as well. But, who knows, maybe they will surprise us.

Orin02

Nov 23, 2012
Here's a fun question, if you had been one of the great lords or ladies at the dragonpit, who would YOU have nominated to be the next ruler and why?

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Here's a fun question, if you had been one of the great lords or ladies at the dragonpit, who would YOU have nominated to be the next ruler and why?

I'd nominate myself. Why? Starks don't want it - Sansa already said she's having none of King's Landing and is taking the North with her. So they're all gone.

Dorne - ha!

Ironborn - Ha Ha!

Tyrion - nope, that guy is a no-go for me.

Jon Snow - he wants to be a wildling, I'd let him go be happy.

Gendry - sorry, I can't believe a blacksmith would have all the skills needed to be a ruler of the 6 Kingdoms. Just because he's a Baratheon bastard doesn't mean ****.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Jon.

Sure he killed the Queen but Jaime killed the King and he didn't have to take on the black. And the citizens that lived through Dany's chaos will support the guy who killed her. The North will back him and that would probably keep all Seven Kingdoms together. Tyrion will back him, so will Davos, Sam, Gendry. Yara won't but if majority rules to nominate the new King you should have enough right there.

I would back him because he is the Song of Ice and Fire, right? The blend of two great houses. He could also try to be Drogon's new rider. He brought the people together to defeat the NK, he killed the woman who slaughtered an innocent city. He died and was raised!

Tyrion chooses Bran because he has "a good story" but dude was gone for an entire season and if Bran can tell the future he let a LOT of people die.

• Winner
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I'd nominate myself. Why? Starks don't want it - Sansa already said she's having none of King's Landing and is taking the North with her. So they're all gone.

Dorne - ha!

Ironborn - Ha Ha!

Tyrion - nope, that guy is a no-go for me.

Jon Snow - he wants to be a wildling, I'd let him go be happy.

Gendry - sorry, I can't believe a blacksmith would have all the skills needed to be a ruler of the 6 Kingdoms. Just because he's a Baratheon bastard doesn't mean ****.
Isn't that what Edmure Tully was trying to do before Sansa sat him down?

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley

Someone doesn't know what to do with tossed salads and scrambled eggs. I guess.

• Funny
Reactions: Cyientist

Orin02

Nov 23, 2012
Isn't Davos a great dark horse pick for king? Totally a man of the people, has been through everything. Understands how to deal with nobles and commoners. -shrug- Unlikely but would have been pretty interesting. Still better than Bran!

Reactions: ISUChippewa

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
What do people think about the coming prequels? I'm interested. I will probably give them a look, with a short leash. HBO has already committed to the same budget as the original series. They are filming right now with an estimated release in late 2020 or early 2021. A couple others are in active development.

I'll be all over them like stink on a pig. GOT wasn't the best television series I've ever seen, but it's certainly top ten, and the world is very compelling.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: CloneIce and Orin02

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
The funniest part for me is they made Dany emotionally mad when she destroyed kings landing but turned around and made her strategically insane when addressing her army and Jon void of emotion and responsibility. They couldn't even keep that consistent. Did she make it personal or was it strategic? Yet it's the fans fault for not buying her turn to madness. Drogon kills pointy chair and not Jon despite feeling what happened through Dany (Assuming) and for some ******* reason even Grey Worm doesn't kill Jon and we get nothing about how Grey Worm truely felt through any of what happened. Stark plot armor the last 2 seasons seems to be 3 layers of Valaryian steel.
I stand by that if they had to ruin the story at the end with Bran the way they did, it would have been interesting if it was revealed at the end that Bran was the villain orchestrating everything in season 8, maybe even manipulating the Night King. Afterall, he let everyone in Kings Landing die knowing Dany would burn them all and he end up on as king. Would have even been cool if a last minute scene of Drogon showing up somewhere east and Dany be resurrected by a red priestess or become the shadow queen of Ashai.
But nah, Starks win, Dum dum Tyrion, crybaby Sam and ******* Bron sit on council of the new kingdom lol. Sansa gets independence and everyone is just cool with it like the North is the only kingdom that suffered... What a ******* joke.