Game of Thrones Season 8

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
When Viserys wielded a weapon in Vaas Dothrak he was a dead man by their law. There was nothing that Dany or anyone else could have done. It is why Drogo killed him with molten Gold, You cannot carry a weapon in the city, and to do it is punishable by death no exceptions.

All you are stating is Dany surviving against people who were trying to take her dragons or eliminate her.

If anyone who kills their enemies is capable of going Mad and burning entire cities you can extend this logic to a lot of characters, but saying Dany "took out" Viserys by having him wed Khal Drogo against her will is a real head scratcher. Viserys took himself out, or Ilyrio did it by Counciling him to sell his sister to a Dothraki horse lord.

I thought the show did a poor job of executing this Dany into a villain twist. I'm fine with her burning King's Landing, but there are ways it could have been done to make sense. As it is, they just did not sell me on it. There is foreshadowing of all characters being both good and bad, and I can see Dany doing it, just not in these circumstances.

I love a good villain, and Dany wasn’t one. I don’t even see her as a villain, period. I wouldn’t call her “mad”. She was a flawed person who had an extreme amount of force. There are a lot of sane people whose anger gets the best of them, but they don’t have a dragon, and that is what saves them.

I haven’t seen what the writers have said, but I don’t think they even really tried to portray her as a villain (or they didn’t give it enough time).

Plus, Emilia Clarke is a bad actor for a turn like that. She too cute for a dark turn. You can mess up her hair and put bags under her eyes but that doesn’t quite do it.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
The reason why Grey Worm doesn't kill Jon is because he's trained to not think for himself - he's trained to follow orders.

Him slitting Lannisters' throats wasn't his decision (as much as he was relishing the revenge); he was under orders from Dany to eliminate everyone loyal to Cersei, especially the Lannister army.

Even when Dany names him commander of all her forces, he would be taking orders directly from her.

You can see it in his face that he absolutely wants to eliminate Jon, but he was under orders, first by the Council of Lords, then King Bran, not to do it. He is bound by his duty.

I suppose if there is one time that I'm surprised that Grey Worm doesn't take out Jon it's when they're all leaving King's Landing - the Unsullied for Naath; Jon for The Wall. But once again, as much as he wants to, all he can do is stare daggers. He is under orders not to kill Jon and can't bring himself to think for himself and make the kill.
That’s a good explanation, thanks.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
I love a good villain, and Dany wasn’t one. I don’t even see her as a villain, period. I wouldn’t call her “mad”. She was a flawed person who had an extreme amount of force. There are a lot of sane people whose anger gets the best of them, but they don’t have a dragon, and that is what saves them.

I haven’t seen what the writers have said, but I don’t think they even really tried to portray her as a villain (or they didn’t give it enough time).

Plus, Emilia Clarke is a bad actor for a turn like that. She too cute for a dark turn. You can mess up her hair and put bags under her eyes but that doesn’t quite do it.

They wedged in so they could show it and thrill the audience. They neglected the narrative.

It could have been done, but had to happen earlier to have any real affect. They abbreviated the series and the story suffered.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
This was one of the most successful shows of all time. It was a huge critical and financial hit for both HBO and the show runners (and the author). Your “lesson” from your first thought is beyond ridiculous. You might need to take a step back and get a bit of perspective on this subject.

Successful in terms of viewers and talk throughout the 8 seasons? Sure. Successful in how it will be remembered? Probably not. The first 4-5 seasons were the best of any show I've ever watched but the fall in the writing and story in the final 3 seasons was significant and people won't remember this TV show as fondly as they probably should. It's not just the ending either. It's seasons worth of failure to live up to GRRM's storytelling.

SwirlyBird

Aug 2, 2015

only ugly people can be villains right?

• Creative
Reactions: State43

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Before this thread fades out in coming days, I wanted to thank everyone who has posted in all these GoT threads for years. Having just started watching the series in January and reading about it extensively since then, these threads were enormously helpful in getting me up to speed on the show, bouncing ideas around, and giving me other angles to think about. It's been a lot of fun.

SwirlyBird

Aug 2, 2015
Before this thread fades out in coming days, I wanted to thank everyone who has posted in all these GoT threads for years. Having just started watching the series in January and reading about it extensively since then, these threads were enormously helpful in getting me up to speed on the show, bouncing ideas around, and giving me other angles to think about. It's been a lot of fun.
your welcome

Orin02

Nov 23, 2012
What do people think about the coming prequels? I'm interested. I will probably give them a look, with a short leash. HBO has already committed to the same budget as the original series. They are filming right now with an estimated release in late 2020 or early 2021. A couple others are in active development.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
What do people think about the coming prequels? I'm interested. I will probably give them a look, with a short leash. HBO has already committed to the same budget as the original series. They are filming right now with an estimated release in late 2020 or early 2021. A couple others are in active development.
Have they hinted at when the prequels will be set?

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Successful in terms of viewers and talk throughout the 8 seasons? Sure. Successful in how it will be remembered? Probably not. The first 4-5 seasons were the best of any show I've ever watched but the fall in the writing and story in the final 3 seasons was significant and people won't remember this TV show as fondly as they probably should. It's not just the ending either. It's seasons worth of failure to live up to GRRM's storytelling.

I disagree with the last statement. I thought the first four seasons (covering books 1 to 3) were great and they did a generally excellent job of adapting the incredibly challenging books. As a book reader from well before the show, I couldn’t have imagined they would do so well. Hell I was amazed they even got the pilot picked up

Season 5 (and parts of 6) was overall an improvement over A feast for crows and a Dance with Dragons, which in my opinion were significantly below the quality of the first 3 books. Still enjoyable reads but not the level of the first three. I think they did better than GRRM by trimming the fat and cutting out some ineffective side stories.

The end of Season 6 which was new material was pretty damn good, particularly the finale. Season 7 and 8 had some issues - but it’s impossible to compare these to GRRM material given that he lost the story and can’t even finish Book 6. They had some highs and lows and the plotting was clunkier. Still appointment television.

But overall I doubt anyone will follow your “lesson” given that this will go down in history as one if the biggest hits ever. Yes people will gripe about the finale and other parts - some legit (and some will be typical fanboy whining and social media groupthink and attempts to be edgy and negative). But on the whole it will be remembered as a massive success and an incredible feat of television.

Note - Part of this may be my perspective- I will never be the type of person who lets a less than perfect end spoil the journey. I still love shows like BSG and Sopranos that stumbled to the finish line and many other book and tv series with rough endings. The ending of a story is always the hardest part, by far.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Have they hinted at when the prequels will be set?
I've heard both the beginning of Robert's Rebellion & The Dance of Dragons stories. I have also heard talks about them possibly doing a short series about the Tourney of Harrenhal (The Knight of the Laughing Tree story) which would be ******* sick.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

Here here. I remember the first thread on this site when it was in production. It’s been quite a journey!!!

Reactions: Trice

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Yes. They are set something like 3000 years before the current events. So before Targaryens etc. I believe it is supposed to be the origin story of the first Night King and the creation of the wall.

Show's working title: Bloodmoon

all that GRRM will say: Taking place thousands of years before the events of Game of Thrones, the series chronicles the world’s descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. From the horrifying secrets of Westeros’s history to the true origin of the White Walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend, only one thing is for sure: It’s not the story we think we know.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL

all that GRRM will say: Taking place thousands of years before the events of Game of Thrones, the series chronicles the world’s descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. From the horrifying secrets of Westeros’s history to the true origin of the White Walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend, only one thing is for sure: It’s not the story we think we know.

I am really interested in knowing more about this. I wonder if this would be the story of Azor Ahai.

Reactions: isutrevman

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

looking forward to this

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I would have loved to have seen Jon and Grey Worm duel.

My wife and I pitted various characters against each other for fun. Bronn, the Hound, Brienne, Jon, Oberyn, Ser Arthur Dayne, Arya, Grey Worm, Ser Barristan Selmy, Tormund, the Mountain, Jamie (before he lost his right hand)

Jon vs Grey Worm was one such battle.

I argued that Grey Worm would destroy him with his quickness and his spear against that heavy sword. I think Jon would have a hard time getting close enough to land a blow.

Help Support Us

Become a patron