ISU Online Classes

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Has anyone on this board taken online classes through ISU in the past couple of years? If so, what are the typical time-commitments? Do classes meet at a specific time, or does one log on and review a recorded lecture throughout the day?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I just graduated this past December and I took probably 10 classes online at Iowa State throughout my years. Time-commitments vary, but are not time consumable depending on the class. Some that I took were "go at your own pace" where you could complete the class in however long it took you to complete it as long as you got all of the course work done by the end of the semester. Although I would say most classes are structured where you have an assignment or assignments, a quiz every week, and then every 3 weeks or so you could have an exam.

I loved taking classes online because it allowed me to be much more flexible with my schedule. I highly recommend.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I just graduated this past December and I took probably 10 classes online at Iowa State throughout my years. Time-commitments vary, but are not time consumable depending on the class. Some that I took were "go at your own pace" where you could complete the class in however long it took you to complete it as long as you got all of the course work done by the end of the semester. Although I would say most classes are structured where you have an assignment or assignments, a quiz every week, and then every 3 weeks or so you could have an exam.

I loved taking classes online because it allowed me to be much more flexible with my schedule. I highly recommend.

I graduated last May and took a couple online throughout my time at ISU and I'd say the bolded is pretty much how every one of them went. A lot of it was discussion board posting. Online classes sounded great but I really don't think I learned anything in them

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I graduated last May and took a couple online throughout my time at ISU and I'd say the bolded is pretty much how every one of them went. A lot of it was discussion board posting. Online classes sounded great but I really don't think I learned anything in them
I would agree with this, however most of the classes I took online were classes I could have cared less about, but needed them for credits. It's also about what you put into those classes. If you want to take the time to do all of the readings, you'll probably learn a lot, but probably not as much as with an actual instructor.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I would agree with this, however most of the classes I took online were classes I could have cared less about, but needed them for credits. It's also about what you put into those classes. If you want to take the time to do all of the readings, you'll probably learn a lot, but probably not as much as with an actual instructor.

So they're all pretty much autonomous and don't have scheduled "Go To Meeting" class times?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
So they're all pretty much autonomous and don't have scheduled "Go To Meeting" class times?
It depends on the class, but most online classes with recorded lectures allow you to watch those on your own time. I believe you might be able to look up a specific class and find out some details on it.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
There is going to be a divide between the alum that was on campus and those that took courses online.

The divide between traditional and online is becoming quite blurred. Most campus students are taking online courses as well as traditional classroom courses. And many classroom courses are "flipped" in a manner that makes them more like an online course with discussion and activities in class rather than lectures.

I look forward to the day when competent people can take exams for courses and earn credit without even taking courses. There are so many ways to learn. Most credit is granted for assessment that is unique to the way the teacher taught, not the actual outcomes the course is supposed to teach.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
The divide between traditional and online is becoming quite blurred. Most campus students are taking online courses as well as traditional classroom courses. And many classroom courses are "flipped" in a manner that makes them more like an online course with discussion and activities in class rather than lectures.

I look forward to the day when competent people can take exams for courses and earn credit without even taking courses. There are so many ways to learn. Most credit is granted for assessment that is unique to the way the teacher taught, not the actual outcomes the course is supposed to teach.

Just to be clear I was completely joking with my comment.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
I wanted to do my masters online through ISU but they required a full week on campus to start the program, not sure how anyone in the workforce is able to swing that.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I wanted to do my masters online through ISU but they required a full week on campus to start the program, not sure how anyone in the workforce is able to swing that.
Are you really not able to take a week at a time off. I have more trouble taking a couple of days off as it isn’t really enough to have others help out.

tleonwdm

Apr 13, 2006
WDM
Not that I am old or anything, but we had “correspondence classes” where they actually mailed you the class material and you completed and mailed back assignments, tests, etc...

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Are you really not able to take a week at a time off. I have more trouble taking a couple of days off as it isn’t really enough to have others help out.

I could have but just didn't want to knowing how far I'd be behind, I ultimately used a different university that didn't require that.

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018

They ask to schedule a week of vacation?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron