MLB: ****General Discussion Thread - Baseball Season 2019****

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Will be in interesting to see how today's doubleheader goes. Winning both would be awesome but, the pitching worries me a bit......we'll see

Pedro Martinez said the same thing last night. He said the Twins have two dominant guys with Odorizzi and Berrios, but he hasn't seen enough from the rest of the staff.
Pedro wants to wait until after the break to make the call on the Twins. Not surprised because he's probably only watching Red Sox and Yankee$ games. Teams with 'pedigrees', as he puts it.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Odorizzi with five straight wins and an ERA of less than 1 in those games. Twins continue to with best record in baseball and the top hitters for average and HR in the league. Accumulating believers.

They should be better although I didn't expect this much better. 50% of the payroll last year was eaten up by deadweight and under producing players (Mauer, Lynn, Hughes and Santana)! Lots of cash was freed up and they spent wisely with FA and a couple timely extensions of young players. Last years free agents, like Morrison and Lynn were busts, this year they got what they expected from the FA's so far.

Souhan had a nice summary the other day. Thought it was pretty good.

http://www.startribune.com/twins-ex...eal-mix-of-coaching-playing-talent/509729652/

Their off season shopping budget was much bigger this winter even if the total salary is pretty much the same. Some of last year was bad luck with big dollars tied up in guys who got injured like Santana and Hughes. You have to stay healthy and so far everyone this season is. Except Sano and I just don't consider him critical. Rather have a healthy center fielder.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
If only there was a quality free agent reliever available. :rolleyes:
Yeah Greg Kimble or something like that? Heard he's decent. Maybe we should take a flyer on the guy.

Would love to see Kimbrel back in Atlanta... probably shouldn't get my hopes up. Because fINaNciAl fLeXiBiliTy. Let's bring back Ted Turner while we're at it so we can spend some money.

JusHappy2BeHere

Jan 22, 2013
Houston, TX
If you took the Astros Team Averages so far, AVG, OBP, SLG, OPS and treated them as 1 player, they would be top 25 in the AL in every category and 19th in SLG and OPS.

ElatedEarlyDegus-small.gif

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I was looking at the standings and noticed something odd.

Cincinnati is sitting in last place in the NL Central and 4 games below .500 with a run differential of +31. Meanwhile Pittsbugh is a spot above Cincy and 1 game over .500 with a run differential of -48

I know run differential doesn't translate to wins and losses, but those numbers are kinda crazy.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
I was looking at the standings and noticed something odd.

Cincinnati is sitting in last place in the NL Central and 4 games below .500 with a run differential of +31. Meanwhile Pittsbugh is a spot above Cincy and 1 game over .500 with a run differential of -48

I know run differential doesn't translate to wins and losses, but those numbers are kinda crazy.
It will correct eventually. Which direction it corrects will be interesting to watch, but it'll correct.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Yankees somehow managed to eek into first place last night. Not sure how they are doing this with Severino, Judge, Gregarious, Andujar, and Stanton (19 W, 114 HR, 345 RBI last year) out until at least the 2nd half. IL is still at 13.

Three or four "Who?" players are carrying them:
German at 8-1
Voit with 11 HR 33 RBI
Urshela .347
LeMahieu .313 (okay, not a total "who" but signed as a bench guy)

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Ah, hell, and Tanaka takes a liner off his shin and has to leave the game he was pitching a shutout in through 6 innings. At least not broken but I bet he at least misses a start. Running out of starters. Going with an "opener" tomorrow. Don't think they have ever done that.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Tampa Bay Rays team ERA is 2.79. For an AL team not facing DH's that pretty amazing. That's an old school Dodgers-like ERA.

More ERA ramblings:

Worst division is bottom of AL Central with Tigers, White Sox Royals all over 5.00. Dat some bad pitching.

Best division is top of AL East with Rays, Yanks and Blue Jays all under 4.00 and in Top 10. Boston is surprisingly down at a middling #16.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Tough day Yanks/Rays. Rays SS Robinson got hit right in the helmet logo with a pitch. Could have been really bad but he's okay and didn't even leave game. Yankees Urshela just fouled a ball off the plate and it came up and hit him in the nuts. He was down for the count.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Mets' Yoenis Cespedes sustains 'ankle fractures' in 'violent fall' at ranch

Pretty vague on what actually happened. It's the old fell/tripped over a hole thingie. Color me skeptical and guessing horse riding fall.

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/mets-y...-fractures-in-violent-fall-at-ranch/307297770

Between him and Ellsbury (aka Glassbury) insurance companies are paying through the nose on some of these deals with teams injury insurance. Bet the premiums for the coverage of the yuge contacts is going to skyrocket.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Orioles have given up 100 homers already this year. If I heard announcers correctly that's like 40 more than any team has given up this early. Woof!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron