DC is picking new Batman

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I have kids, so I'm sure I'll end up seeing the Sonic and Mario movies whether I want to or not. Who knows, maybe Jim Carrey will be good as Dr. Robotnik.

I'm guessing the revamped version you watch will no longer feature Gangster's Paradise music for full 90s overload.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I'm guessing the revamped version you watch will no longer feature Gangster's Paradise music for full 90s overload.

If they take it out and replace it with something more current then it's probably a lateral move for me.

• Funny
Reactions: HFCS

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
If you find recent images of him (the older him) where his hair isn't off the charts emo he actually does have a very good look for the character.
robert_pattinson_gi.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
This should suck the life blood out of the Batman franchise.

If history teaches us anything, no matter how bad an A-List comic film series gets, it will always get another chance. Do I need to remind you about this?

batman_and_robin_still_-_h_2017.jpg

Actually, what am I talking about. That was one of my favorite Batman movies ever. It really captured the essence of the Adam West series on screen.

These new Batman movies are too serious. Batman should be campy and fun.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
If history teaches us anything, no matter how bad an A-List comic film series gets, it will always get another chance. Do I need to remind you about this?

Actually, what am I talking about. That was one of my favorite Batman movies ever. It really captured the essence of the Adam West series on screen.

Tim Burton's original Batman movie is the right level, dark but campy at the same time. YOU WANNA GET NUTS!!! LET'S GET NUTS!!!!

I love the Dark Knight trilogy but I also laugh at people who think it's analogous to The Godfather.

Reactions: heitclone

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Tim Burton's original Batman movie is the right level, dark but campy at the same time. YOU WANNA GET NUTS!!! LET'S GET NUTS!!!!

I love the Dark Knight trilogy but I also laugh at people who think it's analogous to The Godfather.

You are right -- the first two films are excellent. Michael Keaton kills it.

My least favorite is probably Batman Forever. It goes silly without completely leaning into it like Batman and Robin, which is almost a piece of Dada art with its badness.

The Nolan trilogy and The Godfather have always kind of reminded me of each other.

-- the first two films in both series are great (and all-timers with TGF)
-- the third films in each series are held back by incoherent plots, some bad acting, and the sidelining of important characters for no real reason (Gary Oldman being indisposed and replaced with Joseph Gordon-Levitt for no particular reason and Tom Hagen not appearing in Part 3 because they stupidly refused to pay him his worth)
-- I feel like both of the second sequels ran out of story and/or skipped way ahead in the timeline and missed a ton of stuff (e.g., Michael "going legitimate" in the 1960s or the momentum of Gotham at war at the end of TDK) way more interesting than what we got
-- one great character study film (in the case of Part 2 with Michael and Vito and Batman Begins) and one great urban crime epic (The Dark Knight and Part 1)

Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are some really good movies. But I agree with you, it is really hard to compare much of anything to Parts 1 and 2.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
You are right -- the first two films are excellent. Michael Keaton kills it.

My least favorite is probably Batman Forever. It goes silly without completely leaning into it like Batman and Robin, which is almost a piece of Dada art with its badness.

The Nolan trilogy and The Godfather have always kind of reminded me of each other.

-- the first two films in both series are great (and all-timers with TGF)
-- the third films in each series are held back by incoherent plots, some bad acting, and the sidelining of important characters for no real reason (Gary Oldman being indisposed and replaced with Joseph Gordon-Levitt for no particular reason and Tom Hagen not appearing in Part 3 because they stupidly refused to pay him his worth)
-- one great character study film (in the case of Part 2 with Michael and Vito and Batman Begins) and one great urban crime epic (The Dark Knight and Part 1)

Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are some really good movies. But I agree with you, it is really hard to compare much of anything to Parts 1 and 2.

Agree that Begins is underrated. If Ledger hadn't killed himself after a great performance many more people would consider Begins the best or near the best of the trilogy.

• Agree
Reactions: xboxfever

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

I agree.

The Christian Bale movies are good but I'm exhausted after watching them.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Maybe, but I do have a soft spot for Adam West's tongue-in-cheek Batman.
That show was so fun to watch as an adult. One of my favorite scenes was when they were running from a building back to the Batmobile and Batman grabbed Robin and stopped him and reminded him to always look both ways before crossing the street.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Affleck rightfully catches a lot of crap, but I thought he was decent as Batman. The Bruce Wayne character has to be a bit of an arrogant d-bag that you really wouldn't root for if he weren't Batman. Bale and Affleck were both pretty spot-on filling that role.

Bale had the clear advantage when it came to a better script, better dialogue and a better supporting cast. I'm not sure if Affleck would get the same praise that Bale got if roles were reversed, but I'm guessing if you put Bale in BvsS or Suicide Squad, nobody is saying how awesome he was in that role.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Affleck rightfully catches a lot of crap, but I thought he was decent as Batman. The Bruce Wayne character has to be a bit of an arrogant d-bag that you really wouldn't root for if he weren't Batman. Bale and Affleck were both pretty spot-on filling that role.

Bale had the clear advantage when it came to a better script, better dialogue and a better supporting cast. I'm not sure if Affleck would get the same praise that Bale got if roles were reversed, but I'm guessing if you put Bale in BvsS or Suicide Squad, nobody is saying how awesome he was in that role.
Wait. There were actors in Suicide Squad besides Margot Robbie and Carla Delevingne?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron