Friday OT: Rock & Gown

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
@Angie has other stuff goin’ on today, so she asked if I could sub for her. I said, “Sure! What are the hours?”

This topic is inspired by @State43’s recent thread, “Favorite Song the Year You Were Born” and serves as a companion piece to this week’s On That Note

What was the No. 1 song on Billboard the year you graduated from high school? Also, If you remember approximate date of your graduation, what was the No. 1 song that week?

(Edit: You aren't required to use only the pop chart -- other genre listings are OK if you prefer)

Optional: In a separate entry, post up to 3 song clips you closely associate with your graduation year (whether the songs charted or not).

Handy reference: Billboard year-end No. 1 singles

My list coming shortly, in a separate post.

Last edited:

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I graduated high school either May or June of 2006, so it would be one of these.

May - SOS - Rihanna
June - Ridin - Chamillionaire
June - Hips Don't Lie - Shakira

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
My close-association triplicate of clips. Based on “at the time,” not necessarily what I would choose in retrospect. (Otherwise, I'd post the entire "Murmur" album and call it a day).

And, since I’m Guest Host, I’m allowed a 4th choice. :)

Reactions: jcyclonee

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
OMG...I looked it up. I really REALLY don't want to admit it.
At graduation, it was Paul McCartney & Wings: "My Love"
Not too bad.

But for the whole year? Just shoot me now:
Tony Orlando & Dawn: "Tie a Yellow Ribbon 'Round the Old Oak Tree".

*slinking away in shame*

Those are a couple of sizzlin' tracks. ;):D

Not your fault. None of us can control how old we are or the tastes of the general listening public ... or McCartney's schmaltz tendencies.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Looks like week of graduation in 1986 was "Greatest Love of All" by Whitney Houston. There was such great music out at that time, yet Whitney is not what I'd have guessed was number 1.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Year - Oh dear god. It was the fundraising version of "That's What Friends are for"

Week - Oh dear god. Either "Greatest Love of All" by Whitney Houston or "Live to Tell" by Madonna

Reactions: cyclones500