Huge NCAA MBB News: Beilein to Cavs

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Do they go after Self? Maybe Beard? Kevin Garnett(kind of kidding)?
I really believe they take a shot at Donovan first then go down the list of guys that are more likely to succeed there. I don't think Juwan Howard is the answer though. Davidsons coach would be a great fit as well as the Rutgers coach but I would rather see a younger bigger name.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I really believe they take a shot at Donovan first then go down the list of guys that are more likely to succeed there. I don't think Juwan Howard is the answer though. Davidsons coach would be a great fit as well as the Rutgers coach but I would rather see a younger bigger name.

What about Howard if they can keep Yaklich on as an assistant?

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Do they go after Self? Maybe Beard? Kevin Garnett(kind of kidding)?
They'll hire Juwan Howard before Kevin Garnett. Howard is an alum and has been an assistant in the NBA for a while now. And it's very trendy to hire former NBA guys to their alma mater.

Fred to ISU. Mullin to St John's. Penny to Memphis. Pat Ewing to Georgetown. Kevin Ollie to UConn.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
What about Howard if they can keep Yaklich on as an assistant?
That would be great if they make that happen. Yak and his defensive philosophy has had an amazing affect on those teams in their improvement.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Davidson's coach? He's almost 69 and has been there for 30 years. I don't think that's happening.
I totally agree on Juwan.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Davidson's coach? He's almost 69 and has been there for 30 years. I don't think that's happening.
I totally agree on Juwan.
Hes def old lol......hes been rumored though which made me scratch my head as well. Its hard to consider it since hes gotta be close to retirement because you don't want to start the search over again in 3 years due to retirement either. Either way he is a good coach and if he was hired I wouldn't be upset either.

• Useful
Reactions: wintersmd

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Hes def old lol......hes been rumored though which made me scratch my head as well. Its hard to consider it since hes gotta be close to retirement because you don't want to start the search over again in 3 years due to retirement either.
I think he's a quality coach, that's for sure. Always wondered why Wake or NC State didn't interview him (unless he declined).

• Agree
Reactions: chadly82

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I think he's a quality coach, that's for sure. Always wondered why Wake or NC State didn't interview him (unless he declined).
Maybe he was waiting for the best fit for him and feels he has 5-7 years left in him. How old is Coach K? Isnt he about 71 already?

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Last I heard Juwan Howard was not allowed at Michigan and neither are any of the other fab 5. I might have missed an update where they were forgiving for the scandal. Maybe that is old news.

I would say they kick a few tires and then either get the assistant coach or Butlers head coach. It won't be a complete disaster like UCLA.

danielyp29

Jan 3, 2011
Ames
Beilein is old and probably has one shot. I figured he was out on the NBA after he turned down Detroit(?) a couple years ago.
found this quote from an ESPN article regarding Detroit interesting
Beilein and his wife didn't want to move far from Michigan, and the Pistons' borderline playoff roster with little financial flexibility to make changes made staying in-state less appealing. Cleveland's rebuild status, with point guard Collin Sexton and a 14 percent chance -- along with New York and Phoenix -- to earn the No. 1 pick in Tuesday's NBA draft lottery, appealed to Beilein.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26737028/beilein-leaving-michigan-coach-cavaliers

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Well that is assuming that Morant is Gilbert's preference, the Cav's GM may prefer RJ or another prospect at 2 over Ja especially with the uptick in Sexton had at the end of the year. I know Morant is the conscientious #2 on most boards but like we saw last year with Doncic teams don't always follow the conscientious ranks. If they got #2 they could trade Morant for a ransom like ATL did, possibly to Phoenix if they fall to 3 or 4 they are said to covet him.
Tomorrow's lottery should be pretty fun with a couple of teams getting their dreams realized and a lot getting their's crushed.
I am looking forward to seeing Minnesota get destroyed again by an avalanche of ping pong balls.

Timberwolves draft lottery history
Years in lottery: 21
Overall +/-: -16
Years drew higher than expected pick: 0
Years drew lower than expected pick: 11
Years worst team in draft: 3
Years drawing the top pick: 1

• Funny

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
LaVall Jordan. Michigan assistant from 2010-2016, now head coach at Butler.

He'd be interesting and makes some sense but he's at his alma mater now, obviously UM could pay more but Butler is a legit program . I don't see it happening though bc he hasn't been very successful as a HC (48-55 overall), kind of odd he even got the Butler job really, the thing that would scare me off most is, he's from the Todd Lickliter coaching tree, spent 7 years with him at Butler and Iowa.

• Agree

Help Support Us

Become a patron