Huge NCAA MBB News: Beilein to Cavs

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Randy is on the case! (I think that's him)

Looks like it was.

D6eBnDbX4AE07Vf.jpg

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
After checking some major sources regarding speculation, these are the most common for successors, no particular order. (Parentheses are my notes).
  • Billy Donovan
  • Brad Stevens
  • Chris Beard (still not sure how to make this work financially for all parties)
  • LaVall Jordan
  • Luke Yaklich
  • Juwan Howard
  • Saddi Washington
Also mentioned:
  • Mike White
  • Jay Wright (doesn’t “feel” realistic, but it’d be huge)
  • Gregg Marshall
  • Bob McKillop
  • Johnny Dawkins
  • Shaka Smart
  • Mike Brey
DO NOT consider Shaka lol

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Unless you are Texa$ fans...than it's "how can we help?"

Why would he even come up??
Good question! Id hire coach Yak worse case scenario even .....Make it a swing for the fences possibly twice then quickly move to Coach Yak IMO

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I don't hate the move for Beilein. The Cavs only have one legitimately bad contract on the books after next season (they'll still owe Kevin love 91 million over three years after next season) and if they land a top two pick tomorrow night in the lottery they can build around Collin Sexton and Zion or they can take Ja Morant and move on from Sexton. They owe Atlanta their 2019 or 2020 first round pick if it falls outside the top ten, so they should have their top picks for the foreseeable future. The current roster is mostly garbage but at least they'll have some flexibility to build from the ground up.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I don't hate the move for Beilein. The Cavs only have one legitimately bad contract on the books after next season (they'll still owe Kevin love 91 million over three years after next season) and if they land a top two pick tomorrow night in the lottery they can build around Collin Sexton and Zion or they can take Ja Morant and move on from Sexton. They owe Atlanta their 2019 or 2020 first round pick if it falls outside the top ten, so they should have their top picks for the foreseeable future. The current roster is mostly garbage but at least they'll have some flexibility to build from the ground up.
Re Signing Love was incredibly dumb but moving on from last years first pick already may be as dumb with new coach that may be helpful.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Re Signing Love was incredibly dumb but moving on from last years first pick already may be as dumb with new coach that may be helpful.

Not unprecedented, though. The Mavs moved on from Dennis Smith Jr after less than two seasons because it was evident he was a poor fit alongside Doncic. Kris Dunn didn't make it past his rookie contract in Minnesota.

It sucks to give up on a draft pick early, but it also sucks to throw good money after bad or blow a chance at a potential superstar because you already have an incumbent PG who might be pretty good eventually.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Not unprecedented, though. The Mavs moved on from Dennis Smith Jr after less than two seasons because it was evident he was a poor fit alongside Doncic. Kris Dunn didn't make it past his rookie contract in Minnesota.

It sucks to give up on a draft pick early, but it also sucks to throw good money after bad or blow a chance at a potential superstar because you already have an incumbent PG who might be pretty good eventually.
Truth there, but Sexton has had 3 coaches last 3 years as well. If they are number 2 then yes I'd say hes gone you have to take Morant. Its just a tough pill to swallow tossing away a year at a time like the Cardinals just did

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Truth there, but Sexton has had 3 coaches last 3 years as well. If they are number 2 then yes I'd say hes gone you have to take Morant. Its just a tough pill to swallow tossing away a year at a time like the Cardinals just did

Oh yeah, I'm not saying cut bait on Sexton and draft another guard, any guard. I'm just saying that if they land the second pick they can't afford to pass on Morant just because Sexton is there, and keeping both doesn't make a whole lot of sense considering their playing style.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Oh yeah, I'm not saying cut bait on Sexton and draft another guard, any guard. I'm just saying that if they land the second pick they can't afford to pass on Morant just because Sexton is there, and keeping both doesn't make a whole lot of sense considering their playing style.

Well that is assuming that Morant is Gilbert's preference, the Cav's GM may prefer RJ or another prospect at 2 over Ja especially with the uptick in Sexton had at the end of the year. I know Morant is the conscientious #2 on most boards but like we saw last year with Doncic teams don't always follow the conscientious ranks. If they got #2 they could trade Morant for a ransom like ATL did, possibly to Phoenix if they fall to 3 or 4 they are said to covet him.
Tomorrow's lottery should be pretty fun with a couple of teams getting their dreams realized and a lot getting their's crushed.

• Agree
Reactions: chadly82 and jbindm

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Don't you think the best coach in the state of Iowa would get his name mentioned so Barta could lock him up for another 10 years at $4 million a year.:)

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I could see Michigan putting a full court press on for Beard. The Detroit News has him as a likely candidate along with others like Brad Stevens, Billy Donovan, Jay Wright (interesting)

Takes a lot of buy out money to get Beard. Texas walked couldn't afford to pay two buyouts. With their coach walking they would only need to buyout the TT end of it.