Game of Thrones Season 8

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I mean you can look back on real human history and see savage murderous armies that looted and raped and committed atrocities, it's our "modern" view that's shocked. Dragons aside, plenty of historical leaders wouldn't be shocked by this. I mean really, Jon never saw an army go bloodlust? I guess he did miss the trashing of the riverlands.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I mean you can look back on real human history and see savage murderous armies that looted and raped and committed atrocities, it's our "modern" view that's shocked. Dragons aside, plenty of historical leaders wouldn't be shocked by this. I mean really, Jon never saw an army go bloodlust? I guess he did miss the trashing of the riverlands.
That's one of the most interesting parts of Clash of Kings and Storm of Swords. The fighting in the riverlands shows that nobody is "good" when it comes to war. There's only people with power and those without it. Of course the soldiers started raping and looting, because that's exactly what the series has shown us that they do.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
That's one of the most interesting parts of Clash of Kings and Storm of Swords. The fighting in the riverlands shows that nobody is "good" when it comes to war. There's only people with power and those without it. Of course the soldiers started raping and looting, because that's exactly what the series has shown us that they do.
History shows us that too doesn't it?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
It's only shocking because there was little precedent for Dany and her army doing anything like that. The character development to reach that point has been poor and totally unearned. They went from a 4 to a 10 on the brutality scale with little story development. Its rushed and lazy story telling plain and simple.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
So who kills Dany? Jon or Arya?

Arya was spared several times for a reason. Does Dany have green eyes?

I think Jon does it with Arya backing him up - fighting off unsullied, etc. Maybe he does it to save Tyrion’s life - I assume she will charge him with treason?

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
It's only shocking because there was little precedent for Dany and her army doing anything like that. The character development to reach that point has been poor and totally unearned. They went from a 4 to a 10 on the brutality scale with little story development. Its rushed and lazy story telling plain and simple.
I don't disagree on the Dany part, but the soldiers on the ground I'd totally buy doing as they did.

• Agree
Reactions: Bigman38

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I think what made this episode so gripping is how we saw through Arya and Jon's eyes the reality of what war is.

I give props to them for not giving us the face to face confrontation of sides, but if anything feel somewhat cheated by Cersei getting to go out comforted in the arms of her love, but that is how GOT rolls and what makes it so good.

Reactions: Angie

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
Cersei collapsing and whimpering that she didn’t want to die was a bridge too far for me. Just didn’t seem something she’d do.

Just didn’t see this episode coming, and now I don’t even care about next week

• Agree
Reactions: arobb

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Cersei collapsing and whimpering that she didn’t want to die was a bridge too far for me. Just didn’t seem something she’d do.

Just didn’t see this episode coming, and now I don’t even care about next week

I care because it’s the last episode. I’ve invested a lot of my time watching the last 8 seasons and I want to see how it plays out, especially, for all we know, this might very well be the only final resolution we get on the books as well.

That being said, I don’t know how they fix the WTF that was created in this last episode, or if they even intend to.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
It's fitting that Benioff and Weiss are making a new Star Wars trilogy, because they totally "Last Jedi"-d this season of GOT. This series was built on strong female characters and that has gone out the window in recent weeks:

Cersei - wallowing in Jaime's arms
Dany - snapping as she hears the cries of thousands ("Meesa!")
Arya - giving up on killing Cersei because The Hound tells her to
Brienne - sobbing when Jaime leaves for Cersei, despite having been left/broken multiple times in her life

It's becoming apparent that Benioff & Weiss relied more on GRRM's books to gain insight into these women and adapt them to the screen. Without the books, they are defaulting to negative/weak stereotypes of women that do not fit these characters. Go watch a series like Killing Eve - those writers are portraying women far better than GOT S8 has.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
GRRM irony. The whole turn of the wheel began with Rhaegar stepping out on his wife and loving Lyanna, now it will be up to their child to end it.