Game of Thrones Season 8

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I'm blushing!

And I'm not making fun of it because it's obvious through 2,500 posts on this thread we ALL got so many different things from this show. I won't criticize the writing as 95% of this show has been stellar over 10 YEARS.

At the end, whomever has the power is flawed and maybe that's the over-arching story lesson - the quest for power is corrupting and goodness does not prevail.

Agree. That's exactly the lesson. This is a show about tyrants, and has been since the very beginning.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Jaime's arc was hardly a tease. They had been building on that for most of the series, only to yank the chair out at the last second. That's cheap, lazy writing.
There are endless possibilites they could have chosen for the end of Jamie and Cersei. To have them die in a sympathetic loving embrace has to be one of the dumbest. I had accused the show of going fan service but I was wrong because I'm pretty sure no one wanted to see that.

• Agree
Reactions: Tri4Cy and State43

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Jaime's arc was hardly a tease. They had been building on that for most of the series, only to yank the chair out at the last second. That's cheap, lazy writing.

Maybe its really good art as its created a strong reaction in so many people. Hallmark has an entire channel devoted to tidy, neat stories and while this series has pissed me off so many times with deaths of characters I've connected with, I've watched the entire thing and never once thought about quitting. I can't say that about most every show that lasted more than a few years.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Actually no. I'm firmly behind her exploits in this TV show because it's a TV show and there are no "right" answers. If we all liked the same characters for the same reasons I'd be disappointed. The entire series has set these characters up as way more complex than good or bad, mad or sane, competent or not. Is Dany bad? Is Jon good? Arya? Sansa? I've wanted Cersei to die from day one. Same with Sansa - can't stand her character.

Probably a win for the show that it creates a WIDE swath of like/dislike for a GIANT cast of fatally flawed characters.

I know it's a TV show but there is absolutely no justification, militarily or otherwise, for Dany to indiscriminately kill thousands of civilians. That is definitely not a "right" answer.

Yes, to answer your question. Honestly, maybe looking back at it, Dany might even be more evil than Cersei. Yes, Cersei blew up the Sept of Baelor and killed a good number of people, most of them innocent, but at least she had reason to do it in order to take out the Sparrows. Cersei is narcissistic, cruel, and any other number of awful characteristics, but she didn't slaughter for the sake of slaughter the way Dany did in this episode.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
"I looked and there before me was a pale horse. Its rider was named Death, and Hades was following close behind her."

D6ar7G0W0AIzZ_e.jpg

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
The overwhelming focus will be on Dany this week which is too bad because I thought the rest of the episode was good. Arya leaving just as she got there was odd, but I'm fine with the storylines they closed.

Jamie still got to be the good guy, I don't understand the people saying his redemption arc was ruined. Qyburn and the Cleganes got what they deserved. Grey Worm continuing to show more and more emotion. A dragon being as powerful as it feels like a dragon should be, especially with how vulnerable they've felt for awhile.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
So, mad queen and all... fine.

But at least pull your troops out of the city first. Probably killed some of her own in that annihilation.
This show is way past worrying about those kind of details.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
So no Valonqar? Nothing about that could be construed to be the little brother.

Tyrion could’ve killed her, Jamie could’ve killed her, hell Euron could’ve killed her and it would’ve fulfilled the prophecy. Nope, crushed by rubble.

Crushed by rubble because of a failed plan by Tyrion and Jamie. So maybe she was killed by her younger brothers after all.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Me too. Who is going to be a good ruler?

Dany is apparently going to burn everyone past sense.

Jon is flat out stupid.

Tyrion is also now stupid

Sansa is Cersei apparently.

I don’t even care at this point. Whoever sits it won’t deserve it.
The S8E5-6 leaks (on reddit) were like 99% spot on so far so if you want the answer I can tell you...

• Dislike
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
If you're a book reader this is probably great. Everyone being pissed about how the show ends will probably provide GRRM with some motivation to both finish and give a better and totally different ending.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I know it's a TV show but there is absolutely no justification, militarily or otherwise, for Dany to indiscriminately kill thousands of civilians. That is definitely not a "right" answer.

Yes, to answer your question. Honestly, maybe looking back at it, Dany might even be more evil than Cersei. Yes, Cersei blew up the Sept of Baelor and killed a good number of people, most of them innocent, but at least she had reason to do it in order to take out the Sparrows. Cersei is narcissistic, cruel, and any other number of awful characteristics, but she didn't slaughter for the sake of slaughter the way Dany did in this episode.

There is no WAY Dany killed those people just for the sake of slaughter. NO WAY. Ramsey was that character. The poised prince kid was that character.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
If you're a book reader this is probably great. Everyone being pissed about how the show ends will probably provide GRRM with some motivation to both finish and give a better and totally different ending.
Yep. GRRM beta testing his ending and will probably change his plan now that he’s seeing angry viewer reactions.

• Agree
Reactions: SCNCY

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Yep. GRRM beta testing his ending and will probably change his plan now that he’s seeing angry viewer reactions.

GRRM doesn’t have to worry. He will never finish the books but now can sit back and criticize what the shows writers did to his story.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron