Game of Thrones Season 8

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
She is, and its ******* stupid. Completely massive random character change they rushed on her this season. There would be ways to pull off the 'mad queen' arc, and i think they massively failed at it.

Like... id get burning the red keep. But somehow Dany gets triggered by bells and the character who the whole way along has been the breaker of chains and saving civilians left and right is now indiscriminately burning a city? Not just collateral damage but just burning fleeing people? Yeah, ok. I dont buy it whatsoever in her character.

There's a reason Emilia Clarke seemed disappointed in her interviews. They destroyed 7 seasons of her character to rush a shock twist.
A heel turn only would’ve worked if it was set up over a number of seasons. It took 5+ seasons for Walter White to become the villain on Breaking Bad (and even then he was probably at most an anti-hero). Instead Dany gets a couple episodes in a truncated season.

• Agree
Reactions: alarson

arobb

Jan 4, 2014
Did it seem odd to anyone else that previously the ballistas were such formidable, well operated weapons and now tonight they can hardly get a shot off? I know initially there was the element of surprise but with the sheer numbers of them they should still have been somewhat effective.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
My wife and I are rewatching the episode. For whatever reason (madness), the surrender pissed Dany off. Almost like "no, you don't get off that easy". But then, take it out on Cersei and burn down the Red Keep. Don't murder tens of thousands of those that are going to be your subjects.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
My wife and I are rewatching the episode. For whatever reason (madness), the surrender pissed Dany off. Almost like "no, you don't get off that easy". But then, take it out on Cersei and burn down the Red Keep. Don't murder tens of thousands of those that are going to be your subjects.

Dany and Cersei were going to level the town regardless. Dragon fire was going off that Cersei had planted amongst her population. Those people were dead regardless.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Soo...

HBO offered the Show Runners a bigger budget so they could do 2 10 episode seasons to end GoT, but they said they could finish it up in 13 episodes. I think they should have done all 20...

This whole season reminded my wife and I of HIMYM finale...too fast and jumping around without the development. I don't have an issue with the plot points, however there is so much missing leading up to these points and both seasons 7 and especially season 8 required ten episode seasons.

• Agree
Reactions: Mr Janny

KHoing07

Jun 20, 2018
Screw the people. She is the queen now and that's what she wanted.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
A heel turn only would’ve worked if it was set up over a number of seasons. It took 5+ seasons for Walter White to become the villain on Breaking Bad (and even then he was probably at most an anti-hero). Instead Dany gets a couple episodes in a truncated season.
Except it has been set up over seasons. As the viewer, we're just given her perspective and so we see all of her actions as justified. Example, season one, she burned Mirri Maz Duur for taking revenge on her and Drogo for attacking, raping, enslaving, and murdering her people. It's similar to the story arc, Arya goes through while imprisoned at Harrenhal, but from the opposite perspective. Mirri Maz Duur probably felt very justified in her actions.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Yep, it was like the writers were like "we really have to convince people Dany is mad when we havent set it up well... and just collateral damage from burning the red keep isnt enough to make everyone believe it... so lets have her burn down the entire ******* city, no one will be able to argue she's nuts after that".

They had a result they wanted to get to, and forced the story a certain direction in order to get it there. Which is the opposite of what made GoT good. What made GoT good was being willing to follow the story to a shocking conclusion, even if it meant a major character died.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Did it seem odd to anyone else that previously the ballistas were such formidable, well operated weapons and now tonight they can hardly get a shot off? I know initially there was the element of surprise but with the sheer numbers of them they should still have been somewhat effective.

Kind of the opposite for me, I was surprised they were so good last episode. Tonight is how I'd expect it to go, it'd be like trying to hit a fly with a dart.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
This whole season reminded my wife and I of HIMYM finale...too fast and jumping around without the development. I don't have an issue with the plot points, however there is so much missing leading up to these points and both seasons 7 and especially season 8 required ten episode seasons.
I agree with this. It feels rushed.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Except none of them were dead until Dany started burning down the city AFTER the surrender.

Nobody in power surrendered. Dragon fire was going off because troops entered the city. They entered the city to fight Cersei's army and to kill Cersei. You could re-write the entire series and eliminate all the stupid decisions that lead to this, but those people were dead. Cersei would not surrender and leave the city and its people - she demonstrated that when she killed all those people a few seasons ago. A little over the top? Sure but fake war in fairy land is hell.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Except it has been set up over seasons. As the viewer, we're just given her perspective and so we see all of her actions as justified. Example, season one, she burned Mirri Maz Duur for taking revenge on her and Drogo for attacking, raping, enslaving, and murdering her people. It's similar to the story arc, Arya goes through while imprisoned at Harrenhal, but from the opposite perspective. Mirri Maz Duur probably felt very justified in her actions.
You're using that as an example of her madness? Seriously?

Literally any other character on the show would have killed her for that too.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Dany also fulfilled the prophecy that she saw in the House of the Undying, where she approaches the Iron Throne in ruins (but she never sits in it).

I was more dumbfounded with Arya’s “thank you” moment compared to anything Dany did this episode. Arya spent 8 seasons wanting to kill Cersei and she just gives up because the Hound told her to? “You don’t want to end up like me” - She helped you mow down those Lannister soldiers in the Tavern and then left you for dead, which is right out of your book Clegane. That was weak writing and deserved better.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Nobody in power surrendered. Dragon fire was going off because troops entered the city. They entered the city to fight Cersei's army and to kill Cersei. You could re-write the entire series and eliminate all the stupid decisions that lead to this, but those people were dead. Cersei would not surrender and leave the city and its people - she demonstrated that when she killed all those people a few seasons ago. A little over the top? Sure but fake war in fairy land is hell.

And who all did Cersei have backing her up at that point? The Mountain and Qyburn. That's it. Her navy was dead and her army surrendered. She's a dead woman waiting her fate in the Keep.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: aobie and isufbcurt