Question about the helium shortage

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

DuneFan

Nov 7, 2015
When I was a freshman at ISU, taking chemistry 101, the instructor demonstrated the explosiveness of hydrogen by lighting a small hydrogen balloon. The resulting bang adequately demonstrated why hydrogen is not a particularly good substitute for helium in party balloons. I have long wondered, could a mix of the two (say, 60/40 helium to hydrogen) be used?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
When I was a freshman at ISU, taking chemistry 101, the instructor demonstrated the explosiveness of hydrogen by lighting a small hydrogen balloon. The resulting bang adequately demonstrated why hydrogen is not a particularly good substitute for helium in party balloons. I have long wondered, could a mix of the two (say, 60/40 helium to hydrogen) be used?
I'm no chemist, but since helium is a noble gas and doesn't readily interact with other gases, I don't think it would change the reactiveness of hydrogen - except for decreasing the power of the boom. ;)

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Are you sure the one with the bang wasnt an oxygen hydrogen mix balloon? I remember my chemistry professor showing hydrogen only and then a hydrogen oxygen mix. Hydrogen was kind of a quick flare up and the hydrogen oxygen mix blew the **** up.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown

Helium will not bond with anything (which is why it is so important.) So you will just have a balloon of part explosive hydrogen and some helium.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
You actually have to mine Helium. Usually they have recovered it with natural gas deposits. The problem is that as soon as Helium is released in the atmosphere is it is light enough it escapes into space. This has been a known problem for a long time with no great solutions. Other than wasting it in balloons is not a great idea

Last edited:

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
You actually have to mine Helium. Usually they have recovered it with natural gas deposits. The problem is that as soon as Helium is released in the atmosphere is it is light enough it escapes into space. This has been a known problem for a long time with no great solutions. Other than waiting it in balloons is not a great idea

That's why the world floats! Sans helium, I shudder to think of our existence in this universe.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Helium also plays a critical role in cooling down large magnets (MRI, NMR, particle accelerators) which is part of the reason why warmer super conductors are needed. I know most of the big research institutions have a helium scavenging process to minimize loss.

Reactions: The_Architect

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Helium will not bond with anything (which is why it is so important.) So you will just have a balloon of part explosive hydrogen and some helium.
Pretty much this. It's hard to think about the trillions of atoms floating around and the probability of them running into each other. Even with a diluted hydrogen, it still has a pretty good chance to run into oxygen and reacting.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
It blows my mind helium balloons still exist when there's such a finite supply of helium and how important it is to medical equipment. It's really quite absurd and a fine example human shortsightedness.
Do most people know helium is a finite resource. I didn’t. I tried to read up a little on it and it seems there are possibilities to create new helium. I’m ignorant on the issue though.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
Plus this was possible because of Helium...

_106398636_mediaitem106398635.jpg

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme...servation-made-possible-by-helium-hard-drives

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Do most people know helium is a finite resource. I didn’t. I tried to read up a little on it and it seems there are possibilities to create new helium. I’m ignorant on the issue though.
Husker fans will argue that wasting helium and polluting the surrounding areas with old balloons is tradition thus it must go on.

Reactions: khardbored