Friday OT #2 - To A Younger Me

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Marry a rich woman. If you can't love them you can at least love their money, and you will get half of it if she divorces you. Then you can marry for love.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Become more involved and be more outgoing earlier in college. Probably missed out on some stuff because I was too introverted and studious. Should have defaulted to more "yes" answers instead of always "no".

Care less about what others think
Have more confidence in yourself and your capabilities
Get on that workout train sooner. It'll help with the above.

• Agree
Reactions: matclone

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
1. The Answer to How is Yes - wish that book would have been around earlier
2. Your passion is not found, but is developed
3. Take chances
4. Live the four fold way:
a. Show up
b. Stay present
c. Tell the truth
d. Let go of the outcome - this makes a huge difference in your life

Reactions: bos

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
Surround yourself with positive and high-achieving/hard working friends.

I strongly feel you take on characteristics of others that you see/hang out with often. Those traits can be good or bad, and it isn't worth being one that complains/has no perspective/always finds the negative in a situation.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
It's easier to get in shape if you don't fall too far out of shape. Don't care what others think. Don't get jealous of what others have or the places they go.

It really wouldn't have mattered, though. My younger self wouldn't have listened. He was too stubborn, and he already knew everything.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Law school is a better play long term than jumping into the Insurance World.

I don't hate what I do and I make decent money but really wish I would have chosen the other path...

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It's easier to get in shape if you don't fall too far out of shape. Don't care what others think. Don't get jealous of what others have or the places they go.

It really wouldn't have mattered, though. My younger self wouldn't have listened. He was too stubborn, and he already knew everything.

I wish I knew what I knew at 18

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Law school is a better play long term than jumping into the Insurance World.

I don't hate what I do and I make decent money but really wish I would have chosen the other path...
The insurance agents I know and the adjusters all seem to work about 1 to 2 hours a day if that.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Care less about what others think
Have more confidence in yourself and your capabilities
Get on that workout train sooner. It'll help with the above.
These would be good for me. I would probably qualify that with, "Don't worry about it too much though. Things turn out pretty good for the most part."

I'd also like to add to myself, "Don't fret about your daughter attending Iowa. Although she seriously flirts with the idea. She comes to her senses. She's way smarter than you. Have confidence that she'll make wise choices."

• Winner
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
I'm not sure if I would tell past me anything, to be honest. (1) I'm not sure if younger me would have really listened enough to make a difference, and (2) isn't figuring some stuff out the hard way part of the lifetime struggle of learning?

I mean, I haven't gone to prison or done anything completely regrettable - that would change things for sure.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I'm not sure if I would tell past me anything, to be honest. (1) I'm not sure if younger me would have really listened enough to make a difference, and (2) isn't figuring some stuff out the hard way part of the lifetime struggle of learning?

I mean, I haven't gone to prison or done anything completely regrettable - that would change things for sure.

Yes absolutely, but people with wisdom can make a huge impact on your trajectory as well. My parents weren’t overly smart with finance and certainly didn’t guide me well in that respect. That’s a hard lesson for me that could have been avoided to an extent. In their defense, they weren’t shown either. Different time.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Take a longer look at colleges for one that fits YOU.

Listen to more broad music.

Start playing guitar earlier in life.

Break down a budget earlier. I haven't been swimming in debt but geez if I had money back that I spent on useless ****.

On that, establish simpler diet habits earlier.

Reactions: cyclones500

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Interesting thread considering the decision I have to make right now:

Accept a salary position at 40 hours a week but 20% less pay or continue a high-stress 50 hour a week commission job. 29 years old, married with no kids.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Stick with organized sports. I was pretty short in junior high, and didn't get into it much (though I loved to play all sports). Didn't go out in high school, and grew a foot between freshman and sophomore years. By then, I felt like I was too far behind on things, and didn't try.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron