Friday OT #2 - To A Younger Me

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I heard this idea on the radio this morning - what advice would you give to your younger self?

Reactions: cyclones500

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I'd tell myself to be more outgoing and adventurous. I was pretty shy in college, and looking back, have regrets on certain events in college (both social and career). I probably should have done a study abroad and joined more business clubs in college.

It wasn't until my last semester (fall of 2010) where I was more outgoing and had a more typical college experience. But it was kinda too late.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
This is tough, I always look at the prism of if I changed anything before I got married, would I have married someone else due to living in a different town or such.

If I just look at life advice, be like I was the last 2 years of college and not party as much as I did early on. May have lead to a different life, maybe not.

For overall, be less self-conscious.

• Friendly
  • Agree
Reactions: wxman1 and Angie

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Travel more. Be smarter with money (debt reduction, saving, investing). Care less what others think. Surround yourself with people who are good for you and drop the ones who make you and others feel less than.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
BTW, most of the small tidbits of advice that I'd give myself, I give to my kids when I see them following routes that I did and didn't think they were the best route to take.

Reactions: SCyclone and bos

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I'd tell myself to be more outgoing and adventurous. I was pretty shy in college, and looking back, have regrets on certain events in college (both social and career). I probably should have done a study abroad and joined more business clubs in college.

It wasn't until my last semester (fall of 2010) where I was more outgoing and had a more typical college experience. But it was kinda too late.

Try more things. Listen to new ideas.

FIND and FOLLOW your passion unless its something really stupid like ribbon dancing, or anything involving a costume.

Find a way to be comfortable in your skin as early as possible.

Reactions: cyclones500 and bos

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
- Be more social and build a better network. Who you know matters a lot more than what you know.
- Don't care what other people think.
- To my athletic self: Go harder, do one more rep, have a better diet, never give up.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Slow down and take things in. It's easy to get caught up in the moment and not fully appreciate what's around you. Right after college it was thinking back on college realizing how good you had it. Now with kids you watch them get older and realize how fast time passes by.

To quote the Nard Dog: "I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them."

Last edited:
Reactions: bos

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Care less what others think. Do the study abroad instead of prioritizing other things. Also, stay in the dorms for sophomore year instead of moving in with a budy off campus.

Explore other majors while at ISU. I stayed the same major all the way through without even considering others. I don’t hate my career but I wonder if I would be happier in other fields.

Don’t worry so much about getting to 4.0. Do well in your classes, but balance that with social time and building friendships.

Reactions: cyclones500 and bos

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Care less what others think. Do the study abroad instead of prioritizing other things. Also, stay in the dorms for sophomore year instead of moving in with a budy off campus.

Explore other majors while at ISU. I stayed the same major all the way through without even considering others. I don’t hate my career but I wonder if I would be happier in other fields.

Don’t worry so much about getting to 4.0. Do well in your classes, but balance that with social time and building friendships.

We should have hung out together and maybe a little of each other would have rubbed off in this department.

Help Support Us

Become a patron