RECRUITING: Wheeler impressed by Iowa State visit, eyes May 6 decision

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Jacobson lead in scoring few games, Haliburton has been quoted as possibly nba someday with great shooting percentages, nixon and Jackson have the coaches attention. Questions around going big or small, but just a couple spots to figure out.
The problem is those couple spots to figure out are the most important thing. (Scoring)

Are we really going to rely on Haliburton, Jacobson and Nixon to be our go to guys on offense when we need a basket?

• Agree
Reactions: nickcyv and awd4cy

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Just heard every player and coach is leaving, Pollard talked GMAC into coming back with his 3,876 offensive sets.......67 pair of cufflinks and Marcus Brister as the new point guard. Yes..........it could get worse.

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
The problem is those couple spots to figure out are the most important thing. (Scoring)

Are we really going to rely on Haliburton, Jacobson and Nixon to be our go to guys on offense when we need a basket?

Even 2 years ago we could find scoring. As long as you can produce 70+ points you can win. Just a matter of defense or outpacing with offense. Think we need to turn to defense and team play.

• Agree
Reactions: FOREVERTRUE

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Our 2017 roster had Big 12 players on it in a Wigginton, Lard, NWB, Jackson and Solo. The 2019 roster is still to be determined on who are Big 12 caliber players. Only 4 of them have proven to be Big 12 players. (Haliburton, Jacobson, Conditt and Young.)

Nixon hasn’t played in the Big 12 yet.
Jackson, Leech and Anderson haven’t played a college minute yet.

Lewis and Zion have a lot to prove yet.

Going into the 2017 season, how many guys were proven Big 12 guys? There was one guy with like 15 starts. How many guys in our rotation were complete reaches and should never been in Ames? Our 2019 team will have higher rated guys who we actually targeted. There will be no Hans Brase or Jeff Beverly in our line ups.

• Agree
Reactions: Cytown12 and ATCy

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Going into the 2017 season, how many guys were proven Big 12 guys? There was one guy with like 15 starts. How many guys in our rotation were complete reaches and should never been in Ames? Our 2019 team will have higher rated guys who we actually targeted. There will be no Hans Brase or Jeff Beverly in our line ups.
Not many going into the season but after the season ended, 3-4 of them proved to be Big 12 level players and we still only won 13 games. Our 2019 guys are definitely not higher rated but rankings aren’t everything. 2017 class was ranked much higher than the 2019 class is though. The biggest difference between 2017 and 2019 is we will have more depth from 4-year type players. It’s just such an unproven roster though right now and I don’t know how that doesn’t scare everyone.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Possibly not, but maybe as good or close. Let it play out. Evaluate the end result.

This is a sport.

Entertainment.

Something to enjoy.
It’s something to enjoy but there’s no reason not to give an honest opinion about it. Whether I post an optimistic comment or a negative comment, my real life mood doesn’t change when I leave close Cyclone Fanatic. If we are good, life goes on. If we are bad, life goes on. There are way more important things in life than Iowa State Basketball.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Oh contraire my French amigo, it’s quite the opposite. However I just tire of constant the Pollyanna-ish sentiment ‘round here that everything is star spangled awesome when in reality, the last we saw of them, they fell apart quicker than the aftermath of a business deal with Marty Tirrell.

When has anyone has anyone said everything is “star spangled awesome” or some derivative?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Now you're not going to respond. I can't imagine how much you would be pouting if we hired a new coach, had some guys transfer, and lost our fall hs recruits.

Prohm leaves.

Hoiberg was not coming back.

Who knows who we get instead -- TJ maybe...?

Shayok, NWB, and Talley still graduate.

THT and Wigginton still leave for the NBA but are even less likely to return.

One or two more guys decides to transfer for a fresh start, not having signed up to play for the new regime, such as Jacobson leaving as a graduate transfer, where he would be one of the most highly sought in the nation if he did such a thing.

2/3 of the incoming freshman decide to explore other options.

Suddenly we are down to like six scholarship players.

As annoying as striking out this spring so far is, it could be way worse. I lived through the McDermott era. "Only" winning the Big 12 tournament is not so bad.

Heck, even the much maligned 2017-2018 team was probably better than even the best McDermott team, especially given the guard play on the former.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Not many going into the season but after the season ended, 3-4 of them proved to be Big 12 level players and we still only won 13 games. Our 2019 guys are definitely not higher rated but rankings aren’t everything. 2017 class was ranked much higher than the 2019 class is though. The biggest difference between 2017 and 2019 is we will have more depth from 4-year type players. It’s just such an unproven roster though right now and I don’t know how that doesn’t scare everyone.

I can't do this anymore.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Prohm leaves.

One or two more guys decides to transfer for a fresh start, not having signed up to play for the new regime, such as Jacobson leaving as a graduate transfer, where he would be one of the most highly sought in the nation if he did such a thing.

As annoying as striking out this spring so far is, it could be way worse. I lived through the McDermott era. "Only" winning the Big 12 tournament is not so bad.

Heck, even the much maligned 2017-2018 team was probably better than even the best McDermott team, especially given the guard play on the former.

As bad as the 17-18 season was, at least they gave us a few good upsets in the process. Something Mac never did.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I can’t imagine assuming someone is miserable about something all the time just because they give an opinion that isn’t as optimistic as theirs.

Don't deny who you are. All I said was to let things play out. What have I said that's been optimistic?

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Wigginton and Lard hadn't played in college yet, Babb and Jackson bench minutes less than 20 each, solo was a no other option big prior year. We had nothing returning. This year we do.

Sshhhhh. We don’t need to throw no dumb facts around. This is the meltdown to the return of the dark days of cyclone basketball.

Hell, we’re gonna wish for ken trickey when prohm gets done here.

• Optimistic
Reactions: VeloClone

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I can’t imagine assuming someone is miserable about something all the time just because they give an opinion that isn’t as optimistic as theirs.

You’re trying way too hard. Don’t worry the anti prohm folks there, and you don’t need to pretend you aren’t really saying what you’re really saying.

• Agree
Reactions: Joel1

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Prohm leaves.

Your scenario: Down to 6 scholarship players and miss the tournament.

My scenario: Lose THT, Wigginton and Lard and miss the tournament.

Not a huge difference there. Missing the tournament is missing the tournament. Your scenario obviously impacts the future of the program way more but I was simply talking about just next year. If I was thinking about 2020 and beyond, I would have never said it couldn’t be going any worse for us. Short term it couldn’t be going much worse for us but long term, losing what we have lost so far doesn’t set us back that much because THT, Wigginton, Lard, Gilder and Rayjon would all most likely only give us 1 more year anyways. As for Wheeler and Nadolny, I think we can find that level of talent in the 2020 class. Again, my comment is 100% centered around the 2019-20 season only.

• Informative
Reactions: Sigmapolis