RECRUITING: Wheeler impressed by Iowa State visit, eyes May 6 decision

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Lard tried to transfer but no d1 coach wanted to deal with his baggage
You would assume he knew he was a sit 1 play 1 guy (unless he drops down) but stranger things have happened.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Answer my question. Could the offseason be going any worse as of May 6th? If you can’t answer that question, I don’t think you can say I’m pouting.

We could have lost our coach which could have led to losing more players. But, yeah, not realistic.

Now you're not going to respond. I can't imagine how much you would be pouting if we hired a new coach, had some guys transfer, and lost our fall hs recruits.

• Dislike
Reactions: NoCreativity

IaState2021

Apr 19, 2019
We've had transfers in June and July. It's the first week of May.
Yeah, I’m sure we’ll eventually find a transfer, but as of now we’ve struck out. It kind of reminds me of the off-season 2 years ago.

I think we’re one solid grad transfer away from being a tournament team but if we don’t find someone we are going to have very little depth.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Yeah, I’m sure we’ll eventually find a transfer, but as of now we’ve struck out. It kind of reminds me of the off-season 2 years ago.

I think we’re one solid grad transfer away from being a tournament team but if we don’t find someone we are going to have very little depth.

So it's not close to over? k.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
It’s almost like you want Iowa State to lose.

Don’t worry, that’s a pretty common phenomenon around here.
Oh contraire my French amigo, it’s quite the opposite. However I just tire of constant the Pollyanna-ish sentiment ‘round here that everything is star spangled awesome when in reality, the last we saw of them, they fell apart quicker than the aftermath of a business deal with Marty Tirrell.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I don’t even know what your post was referring to. You just always rate my posts as funny so I’m just going to start disliking and disagreeing with your posts. Yes, I’m petty. Lol

Too bad that people have missed all the good stuff from you over the years.
I'm thinking the Prohm family must be pretty large on here.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
This was about when we lost Morrow to Marquette and took a lower priority guy in Jacobsen. Sucks to strike out on our priorities, but I suspect it’s the new normal with the competition being stiff in the spring. There are still players out there.

I can’t really think of anything that Prohm should have done differently. Oversign in the fall? Take another sit out last year? Push Lewis out the door last year to open another scholly? Handcuff Talen and Lindell to the practice facility?

Seedman

Jan 13, 2011
Ames
Top flight players want to go where they can play and win. So, when you have a highly talented team that underperforms, it is more difficult to recruit.

You’re right about that and in some respects recruiting may have been easier if we had a poorer team that exceeded expectations. That said, I don’t think we expected THT to be one and done. Hopefully, next year’s team greatly exceeds expectations!

clones8232

Jun 5, 2015
Is there something wrong with our current core? Unproven, yes, but at some point we have to develop these guys. I think Lewis can be a strong big 12 player. But, I forgot what site I was on, so continue to cash it in for next year.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Is there something wrong with our current core? Unproven, yes, but at some point we have to develop these guys. I think Lewis can be a strong big 12 player. But, I forgot what site I was on, so continue to cash it in for next year.

Our roster will be better than 2017 and actually have Big 12 players on it. It will be fun to see how the returning guys have improved in the off season.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Now you're not going to respond. I can't imagine how much you would be pouting if we hired a new coach, had some guys transfer, and lost our fall hs recruits.
Was Prohm leaving realistic or was it something the media hyped up without it actually having legs? Prohm leaving never crossed my mind so that wasn’t in the picture for me.

I’m aware that we could have lost more than we did but when I say it couldn’t be going worse, I’m referring to losing Lard, Wigginton and THT. Entering the offseason, the most realistic worst case scenario that I could see happening was losing those 3 guys. So far, we’ve already lost those 3 guys and have missed on our top targets to replace them. Could something else pop up? Obviously. Just tough picturing it being a bigger impact type guy than Gilder or Tucker. You seem optimistic that we will find someone later in the offseason. Is that someone that still hasn’t announced he’s transferring or someone that already announced and we just don’t know we’re recruiting them? Gilder and Tucker were top 5 grad transfers, IMO. Could be tough to find someone of that talent. If that’s a sky falling comment than I don’t know what to say.

IaState2021

Apr 19, 2019
We have very little depth in the backcourt. Who’s going to play the 3?
Lewis hasn’t shown really anything in 2 years here.

• Funny
Reactions: CyDude16

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Our roster will be better than 2017 and actually have Big 12 players on it. It will be fun to see how the returning guys have improved in the off season.
Our 2017 roster had Big 12 players on it in a Wigginton, Lard, NWB, Jackson and Solo. The 2019 roster is still to be determined on who are Big 12 caliber players. Only 4 of them have proven to be Big 12 players. (Haliburton, Jacobson, Conditt and Young.)

Nixon hasn’t played in the Big 12 yet.
Jackson, Leech and Anderson haven’t played a college minute yet.

Lewis and Zion have a lot to prove yet.

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
Our 2017 roster had Big 12 players on it in a Wigginton, Lard, NWB, Jackson and Solo. The 2019 roster is still to be determined on who are Big 12 caliber players. Only 4 of them have proven to be Big 12 players. (Haliburton, Jacobson, Conditt and Young.)

Nixon hasn’t played in the Big 12 yet.
Jackson, Leech and Anderson haven’t played a college minute yet.

Lewis and Zion have a lot to prove yet.

Wigginton and Lard hadn't played in college yet, Babb and Jackson bench minutes less than 20 each, solo was a no other option big prior year. We had nothing returning. This year we do.

clones8232

Jun 5, 2015
We have very little depth in the backcourt. Who’s going to play the 3?
Lewis hasn’t shown really anything in 2 years here.

How much depth do we need? Depth is nice for practice, but rarely are teams giving 10 guys minutes.

Lewis played pretty well in Maui.

• Agree
Reactions: Cytown12

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
Wigginton and Lard hadn't played in college yet, Babb and Jackson bench minutes less than 20 each, solo was a no other option big prior year. We had nothing returning. This year we do.

Jacobson lead in scoring few games, Haliburton has been quoted as possibly nba someday with great shooting percentages, nixon and Jackson have the coaches attention. Questions around going big or small, but just a couple spots to figure out.