Game of Thrones Season 8

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I mean, there are Ravens to be sent, which they would do immediately.
And who would believe them? Cersei would be spreading her own news about this crazy, mad Targaryen woman, talking about dead people coming back to life and stuff from fairytales.

• Agree
Reactions: stuclone

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I just don’t buy the madness part. Mercurial? Yes, but what King/Queen has not been on this story?
There's an old adage that comes to mind:
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

When one person holds all the power, it is rarely good for the common folk. "Benevolent dictator" is an oxymoron.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Although, it is possible some of the other noble houses know. During their planning session, Varys said the new prince of Dorne pledged his troops to Danny. So word may be getting out slowly. But as for the common folk, I don't think they really care until its staring them right in front of their face.
I'd guess Dorne is up for anything that opposes House Lannister, given their history. They probably didn't need much convincing.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
And it is entirely possible that one is better than the other.

And did you just "both sides" Game of Thrones?

Just because one is better doesn’t mean the better one is fit to rule. By several accounts Trotsky would have been a “better” option for ruler for the Soviet Union than Lenin was. Doesn’t mean he would have been a good leader, as most people estimate.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
And who would believe them? Cersei would be spreading her own news about this crazy, mad Targaryen woman, talking about dead people coming back to life and stuff from fairytales.

And crazy Sansa Stark, and the Eyrie as well? And they believe Cersei who is reviled?

There would be Ravens flying from the Night’s Watch, and from all the Northern houses as well.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I mean, there are Ravens to be sent, which they would do immediately.

Cersei won't allow Dany's good deeds against the dead to be heard. She controls the ravens coming into her kingdom. She doesn't care what the people of King's Landing think of her, but she seems pretty determined to be viewed as the lesser of two evils compared to Dany.

I'm with you on not thinking Dany is mad, but I think Janny is saying that she will be perceived that way by Westerosians based on her actions (especially if goes dragon-crazy on the kingdom) and the history of her name.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
Cersei won't allow Dany's good deeds against the dead to be heard. She controls the ravens coming into her kingdom. She doesn't care what the people of King's Landing think of her, but she seems pretty determined to be viewed as the lesser of two evils compared to Dany.

I'm with you on not thinking Dany is mad, but I think Janny is saying that she will be perceived that way by Westerosians based on her actions (especially if goes dragon-crazy on the kingdom) and the history of her name.

Okay, but there would also be refugees heading south and the destruction of the Night’s Watch would be a big big deal, and also ships leaving any northern port would carry the news.

I mean, anything can be explained away. I just think the characters are done a disservice by placing political machinations over the seasons of character development.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I don’t know whether she sits the Iron Throne or not, but I don’t understand how she is considered mad and Cersei isn’t. It just doesn’t make sense. Is there a narrative that Targaryens are mad? Yes. Is it how she will be portrayed by her enemies, yes, but she also saved the entire realm with Jon defeating the Night’s King, but I am to believe she is mad? I just don’t buy it.

Name one person around here that has said that Cersei isn’t mad in the wake of Dany’s most recent actions. You can’t, because nobody has either said nor even implied that. You are simply projecting your own feels on everyone else in this discussion.

The bottom line is just because Cersei is mad doesn’t mean that Dany isn’t going mad herself, especially considering her family history. Insanity is not mutually exclusive.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Okay, but there would also be refugees heading south and the destruction of the Night’s Watch would be a big big deal, and also ships leaving any northern port would carry the news.

I mean, anything can be explained away. I just think the characters are done a disservice by placing political machinations over the seasons of character development.
I don't think the Night's watch dissolving would be seen as a big deal, even if people knew about it. The series goes to considerable length to show that most people have little regard for the Night's Watch. It's an organization that is past its point of usefulness, and full of outcasts and criminals. Houses don't send young lords anymore. Most people don't really even think about it.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I don’t know whether she sits the Iron Throne or not, but I don’t understand how she is considered mad and Cersei isn’t. It just doesn’t make sense. Is there a narrative that Targaryens are mad? Yes. Is it how she will be portrayed by her enemies, yes, but she also saved the entire realm with Jon defeating the Night’s King, but I am to believe she is mad? I just don’t buy it.

Is she actually insane? No. But she's become every bit as power hungry as many poor rulers who came before her (and let's not pretend there wasn't an obvious, self-concerned reason to help with the Night King, either). As for Cersei, nobody's really talking about her "madness" anymore because it was established that that's who she is a long ******* time ago. It goes without saying at this point.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
I don't think the Night's watch dissolving would be seen as a big deal, even if people knew about it. The series goes to considerable length to show that most people have little regard for the Night's Watch. It's an organization that is past its point of usefulness, and full of outcasts and criminals. Houses don't send young lords anymore. Most people don't really even think about it.

yes, but they get reports the wall has been destroyed and the Night's Watch is gone would raise concerns, if even for an explanation like Wildlings did it.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
You seem to have a real hang up on the term "mad".

The show has obviously laid the groundwork that there are concerns about Dany amongst her advisors and if she goes all out on Kings Landing she will kill a bunch of innocents and this would be a bad thing. So how do you think that's going to play out? Is it all a red herring and she's not going to do it? Is she going to do it and no one's going to care? Is she going to lay waste to kings landing and it will end up being her downfall?

Personally I think it's the last. She wanted to publicly offer Cersei peace so the innocent would no who to blame when she killed them (a pretty distressing thing to say, by the way). Whether you want to call that the action of a "mad" person or not, it will certainly be perceived that way.

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
Name one person around here that has said that Cersei isn’t mad in the wake of Dany’s most recent actions. You can’t, because nobody has either said nor even implied that. You are simply projecting your own feels on everyone else in this discussion.

The bottom line is just because Cersei is mad doesn’t mean that Dany isn’t going mad herself, especially considering her family history. Insanity is not mutually exclusive.

Simply put, I don't think Dany is going mad based on her actions. I am using the actions of other characters for context which is all we have.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
You seem to have a real hang up on the term "mad".

The show has obviously laid the groundwork that there are concerns about Dany amongst her advisors and if she goes all out on Kings Landing she will kill a bunch of innocents and this would be a bad thing. So how do you think that's going to play out? Is it all a red herring and she's not going to do it? Is she going to do it and no one's going to care? Is she going to lay waste to kings landing and it will end up being her downfall?

Personally I think it's the last. She wanted to publicly offer Cersei peace so the innocent would no who to blame when she killed them (a pretty distressing thing to say, by the way). Whether you want to call that the action of a "mad" person or not, it will certainly be perceived that way.

Sacking a city is not "mad" in Westeros it is pretty much expected, and innocents always die in in a sack. So is it mad? I don't think so, it's terrible, but i just don't blame Dany for that.