Game of Thrones Season 8

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Who cares how it compares to what Tywin did, and who cares whether Cersei is mad or not when it comes to Dany and her story? I have no idea what point you are trying to make. None of that precludes Dany from also being mad or doing some very bad things.
This.
Nobody in westeros cares about her good deeds. In fact, they probably don't even know about them. At most, they know that she has dragons, and conquered a bunch of cities half a world away. Now, she's brought them to Westeros along with a horde of crazy foreigners. All the people know is that death has followed her everywhere she's been, and she's from a house known for it's insanity. If she burns King's Landing, she'll absolutely be seen as mad. That's why her advisors have been trying to keep her from doing it.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
And it is entirely possible that one is better than the other.

And did you just "both sides" Game of Thrones?
Why do you insist on this being an either/or situation between Dany and Cersei? This show has never been that black and white, so I don't get why you are trying to make it that way with the conclusion. I think you are in some serious denial about where the show is taking Dany because you want her to end up sitting on the throne at the end.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
Why do you insist on this being an either/or situation between Dany and Cersei? This show has never been that black and white, so I don't get why you are trying to make it that way with the conclusion. I think you are in some serious denial about where the show is taking Dany because you want her to end up sitting on the throne at the end.

I don’t know whether she sits the Iron Throne or not, but I don’t understand how she is considered mad and Cersei isn’t. It just doesn’t make sense. Is there a narrative that Targaryens are mad? Yes. Is it how she will be portrayed by her enemies, yes, but she also saved the entire realm with Jon defeating the Night’s King, but I am to believe she is mad? I just don’t buy it.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
This.
Nobody in westeros cares about her good deeds. In fact, they probably don't even know about them. At most, they know that she has dragons, and conquered a bunch of cities half a world away. Now, she's brought them to Westeros along with a horde of crazy foreigners. All the people know is that death has followed her everywhere she's been, and she's from a house known for it's insanity. If she burns King's Landing, she'll absolutely be seen as mad. That's why her advisors have been trying to keep her from doing it.

She saved the entire realm from the Night’s King and we’re just going to gloss over that for dramatic tension. Ok.

• Winner
Reactions: isutrevman

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I don’t know whether she sits the Iron Throne or not, but I don’t understand how she is considered mad and Cersei isn’t. It just doesn’t make sense. Is there a narrative that Targaryens are mad? Yes. Is it how she will be portrayed by her enemies, yes, but she also saved the entire realm with Jon defeating the Night’s King, but I am to believe she is mad? I just don’t buy it.
The problem with your premise is that few (if any) are saying that Dany is mad and Cersei is not. Personally, I think both have serious issues; Dany has simply been controlled by others more than Cersei has. The stronger Dany grows, the less she listens to counsel. And that is her downfall.
Frankly, NEITHER would be a good ruler.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
The problem with your premise is that few (if any) are saying that Dany is mad and Cersei is not. Personally, I think both have serious issues; Dany has simply been controlled by others more than Cersei has. The stronger Dany grows, the less she listens to counsel. And that is her downfall.
Frankly, NEITHER would be a good ruler.

I just don’t buy the madness part. Mercurial? Yes, but what King/Queen has not been on this story?

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I'm hoping he's got a super dry sense of humor but it sure looks like his first answer is his true feelings.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
All Dany really need do is to burn the Red Keep. Not the entire city. Make Cersei live among the smallfolk, who'd likely riot again and kill her.

Except it’s not that simple. First there’s a lot of scorpions that have to be taken out. That’s potentially a lot of civilian deaths in the process - if not to protect Drogon (uparmored or not), then to protect Dany while she’s riding on him. Then who’s to say Cersei doesn’t pack the Red Keep with civilians to make Dany think twice about attacking it? Nobody knows exactly how far down the rabbit hole Dany is yet in terms of her madness, but considering Cersei despises the people she rules and the only thing she loves is power, she obviously would have no qualms about using them as a deterrent.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
This.

Yep, burning Kings Landing will simply remind them why the revolution began in the 1st place. I don't know how anyone could unify Westeros now. Also, don't know who rules the fractured kingdoms and intermediate territories with whole houses destroyed.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I mean, is it out of the realm of possibility that the person that sits on the iron throne won’t be the person that is most fit to rule? Everyone keeps talking about who will be the best ruler and why it will be them, but it almost seems very unlike everything George RR Martin created to think that’s the person that will ultimately prevail in the end....

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Yeah, I kind of think that everyone loses regardless of who wins.
I think this was the realization of many in last nights episode, and why we are all having such intense discussions about it now. Everyone knows the harm both of these woman can do to the realm now. They are also all starting to see another potential suitor, which is making them take a real long look in the mirror. I think Varys gets offed doing something to stop dany from going mad king on the bit. But the way he was talking last night, I don't think there is any way he survives to the end.

• Agree
Reactions: jdoggivjc

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Nobody outside of Winterfell knows that, though. To everyone South of there, it might as well not have happened.

Although, it is possible some of the other noble houses know. During their planning session, Varys said the new prince of Dorne pledged his troops to Danny. So word may be getting out slowly. But as for the common folk, I don't think they really care until its staring them right in front of their face.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
If you think back to all of the crap Dany has gone through since the beginning, it's pretty understandable to see her state of mind be where it's at: (abused by brother, essentially raped by husband, losing son and husband, going from Khaleesi to being abandoned, being betrayed by Jorah, having her children stolen, having to lock up her children in dungeon, having her Hand (who is a member of a House that tried to have her killed) repeatedly get played while trying to conquer, delaying her conquest to help the North - even though they hate her, watching Viserion get killed, finding out the person she loves is her nephew and all of a sudden has a stronger claim to the throne, seeing her Dothraki snuffed out in a 30 second charge, fighting her undead child, having Jorah die, winning but watching Jon get most of the credit and people still mistrusting her despite the huge losses she took, losing yet another child, and finally watching her best friend beheaded by the person that swore she would initially help them fighting the dead)

Madness may well be in her family, but beheading Missandei had to push her over the edge.

Besides, the show has been consistent in its message that rational thought goes out the window when love gets involved. It's not just a Targaryen thing. Catelyn was willing to let Jamie go to try to get Sansa and Arya back. Jon charged into the middle of a battlefield by himself to get Rickon. Robb went back on his word to marry the woman he loved.

Last edited:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I keep thinking about the "bittersweet ending" thing. I'm just spitballing here, but what I'm guessing happens is that it's a "happy ending" in that Cersei is ousted, but nobody is happy because they've lost the people they love most.

I am somewhat predicting Jon dies (either he or Dany is going to, there's not really a way to sustain both) - so if Dany gets the throne, it's bittersweet because she's ruling over a land where nobody loves her and she lost the only person who did. If Dany dies and Jon rules, it's him ruling a land he loves but doesn't want to rule without the person he loves. I'm thinking either Jaime or Tyrion dies, which will leave the other sad in the end. If Jaime dies, Brienne will be broken. I think Grey Worm may make it, but is sad because he has no Missandei. Sansa is ruling the north alone, Arya won't stay (if she makes it - I'm not sure she will, given her conversation w/the Hound). I'm a bit bummed that there's presumably no more Tormund, that's bittersweet for me. ;)

I am of the opinion that Arya makes it, but isn’t sticking around Westeros when this thing is over. She wants to be like one of her heroes (the name is slipping me, although I think it’s a female Targaryen) and wants to find out “what’s west of Westeros.” If she had actually accepted Gendry’s proposal I could see her on the chopping block, but with her turning that down I see her surviving.

• Agree
Reactions: ThatllDoCy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron