Marty Tirrell arrested on fraud charges

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Everyone gets it under normal circumstances and it makes sense from a pure business standpoint. At least for me I think it is a misguided policy because it allowed Marty to continue to scam unwitting people. Marty should have been in jail a long time ago. The station had the power to shine the light on his behavior and chose to not do anything. I don’t blame you or any actual host. I blame the executive who made the policy.

Yeah, but there's a difference between knowing what he was up to and having proof to back it up. Go on the radio and say the guy is a scam artist or whatever and I don't know, could he have sued KxNO or a broadcaster who made the statement for slander?

• Agree
Reactions: capitalcityguy

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Yeah, but there's a difference between knowing what he was up to and having proof to back it up. Go on the radio and say the guy is a scam artist or whatever and I don't know, could he have sued KxNO or a broadcaster who made the statement for slander?

Yeah, KXNO is not the police. They had no proof he was ripping people off. It took enough people getting taken for them to report him to the police and they finally got charges filed.
The people working at KXNO had a few stories, enough to know he was a scumbag, but none of them that we know of are the ones he ripped off the most.

KXNO is also not a "hard hitting news outlet", it's a sports station. They aren't responsible for exposing anyone. It seems like there are a lot of people in this thread who think they are owed something by KXNO or that they were somehow culpable for Marty's crimes because they didn't constantly tell everyone what d-bag he is.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

Plus you're having to spend the time, resources, and money to defend yourself if Marty hires a lawyer to go after you.

Anyone that works for a large company with deep pockets understands how you have to use extreme caution to protect against lawsuits. Even if you're 100% in the right, it is costly to fight the battles.

• Winner
Reactions: cyhiphopp

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Yeah, KXNO is not the police. They had no proof he was ripping people off. It took enough people getting taken for them to report him to the police and they finally got charges filed.
The people working at KXNO had a few stories, enough to know he was a scumbag, but none of them that we know of are the ones he ripped off the most.

KXNO is also not a "hard hitting news outlet", it's a sports station. They aren't responsible for exposing anyone. It seems like there are a lot of people in this thread who think they are owed something by KXNO or that they were somehow culpable for Marty's crimes because they didn't constantly tell everyone what d-bag he is.
People get why they didn’t and you laid it out pretty well. It doesn’t make business sense. At least my personal ethics say you should do more though. KXNO isn’t real hard hitting journalism but that doesn’t mean they don’t have to do anything. When Ken went to work with him they should have told him fine but then you won’t be hired back. That would be something simple and could have kept Marty away from hurting people.

Another factor is Marty is a public figure and therefore has a higher burden of proof with slander and libel. A news organization would still have to defend itself but it would probably win pretty easily.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com

EXACTLY. We can't do that. We don't have actual proof. That's what the FBI had been up to for the last few years. If I went on KXnO and ran my mouth about Marty being a criminal and got one "fact" wrong because I hadn't put the time into researching it, then I am no better than him when it comes to being a blowhard.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
EXACTLY. We can't do that. We don't have actual proof. That's what the FBI had been up to for the last few years. If I went on KXnO and ran my mouth about Marty being a criminal and got one "fact" wrong because I hadn't put the time into researching it, then I am no better than him when it comes to being a blowhard.

Quoted by the man himself. You just made my day, CW.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Sounds like you need a better dentist.
jimlad-png.62555

• Funny
Reactions: CYdTracked

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
People get why they didn’t and you laid it out pretty well. It doesn’t make business sense. At least my personal ethics say you should do more though. KXNO isn’t real hard hitting journalism but that doesn’t mean they don’t have to do anything. When Ken went to work with him they should have told him fine but then you won’t be hired back. That would be something simple and could have kept Marty away from hurting people.

Another factor is Marty is a public figure and therefore has a higher burden of proof with slander and libel. A news organization would still have to defend itself but it would probably win pretty easily.

Actually it does mean they don't have to do anything. They decided to cut ties with the guy. They aren't responsible, regardless of your personal ethics, for putting the guy in jail or warning the public. He has a higher burden of proof, but there's still no reason for KXNO to risk it, especially if they didn't know the extent of his crimes. The stories we've heard was that he was a jerk and he might have ripped some people off. The only way to really take him down is for those who have been ripped off to press charges and sue him. People did that. Not KXNOs responsibility.

• Informative
Reactions: FBFAN

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Actually it does mean they don't have to do anything. They decided to cut ties with the guy. They aren't responsible, regardless of your personal ethics, for putting the guy in jail or warning the public. He has a higher burden of proof, but there's still no reason for KXNO to risk it, especially if they didn't know the extent of his crimes. The stories we've heard was that he was a jerk and he might have ripped some people off. The only way to really take him down is for those who have been ripped off to press charges and sue him. People did that. Not KXNOs responsibility.
No one said there was any legal requirements for them to do something. That would be stupid. My personal ethics are probably shared with a decent percentage of their listeners. I think they probably made the right business decision because it will blow over and people will forget. Ken will probably have the stink of Marty forever though. I know I won’t listen to a show he is on.i think there are quite a few who feel similar.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Any predictions of how long he gets put away for?

I think that MSN piece stated he's looking at up to 30 years. Whether or not he gets that, who knows. The fact that there's such a long history of him scamming people probably won't help him any. He certainly can't claim it was an isolated incident or out of character.

A lawyer or someone with legal experience can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's something like 5% of all pending lawsuits are resolved with a plea or some sort of deal before the trial ever starts. So maybe he just pleads guilty to all of the charges for a reduced sentence?

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I think that MSN piece stated he's looking at up to 30 years. Whether or not he gets that, who knows. The fact that there's such a long history of him scamming people probably won't help him any. He certainly can't claim it was an isolated incident or out of character.

A lawyer or someone with legal experience can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's something like 5% of all pending lawsuits are resolved with a plea or some sort of deal before the trial ever starts. So maybe he just pleads guilty to all of the charges for a reduced sentence?

I think that's the most likely result - a plea deal, likely for very little jail time. Maybe 5 years or less.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron