NCAA- Changes to Transfer Rules

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
A separate thread for this.

The NCAA rejected a proposal to require grad transfer scholarships to count for two years. I know it was suspected that this would fail, but now it's official

They also voted to allow players to transfer immediately if the coach of their team leaves, and they are enrolled in summer school.

Additionally, walkons can now transfer without restriction.

All good choices imho.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...8/ncaa-nixes-2-year-commitment-grad-transfers

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
A separate thread for this.

The NCAA rejected a proposal to require grad transfer scholarships to count for two years. I know it was suspected that this would fail, but now it's official

They also voted to allow players to transfer immediately if the coach of their team leaves, and they are enrolled in summer school.

Additionally, walkons can now transfer without restriction.

All good choices imho.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...8/ncaa-nixes-2-year-commitment-grad-transfers

Great changes to the system. Especially on the coach leaving, well until our coach leaves then it's a horrible rule. haha. I think it's perfect now and hope it stays that way.

D

Deleted member 8507

OK, so the summer school thing. Are they immediately eligible only if the coach leaves AFTER they are enrolled in summer school? So, most of coaches leave before end of spring semester so then players can not transfer and be immediately eligible because they were not enrolled in summer school WHEN the coach left.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I understand the sentiment behind feeling bad for smaller schools who evaluate underrated kids, give them a platform, and then watch them leave once they have some success. But at the same time, there is no way to inhibit this that would be fair to the kids. They absolutely deserve the right to change colleges if they please. I can't think of any other environment where upward mobility is not available when you perform well.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I understand the sentiment behind feeling bad for smaller schools who evaluate underrated kids, give them a platform, and then watch them leave once they have some success. But at the same time, there is no way to inhibit this that would be fair to the kids. They absolutely deserve the right to change colleges if they please. I can't think of any other environment where upward mobility is not available when you perform well.

I would feel bad but those coaching staffs do the same thing. They go perform and then move up. So I get why you feel bad, however, the coaches are also doing the exact same thing. They are showing up, achieving the goal and leaving. Same with the players.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Making it so players at tied to coaches more than they are to schools and have a "mulligan" of sorts if and when that coach leaves is a step in the right direction.

Is this only the head coach, however?

One could make a case that in certain sports, and especially football, that you spend a lot more time with your position coach than you do with the head/CEO of the program.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
It isn't like all grads transfer. I think most schools make a compelling case for their grads to stay and they do. Anybody have the stats on how many grad transfers there were in basketball last year?

Also, the grad transfer seems like a reasonable option for as much emphasis as we put on them being "student-athletes."

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
As usual the NCAA is trying too hard here, and its a very easy fix.

1. Allow all athletes 5 years to play 5. No more red shirting, if a player is good enough to play as a freshman than he plays. Do away with the 4 games to play rule and medical redshirts. You get 5 years, no more no less.

2. Allow all athletes a 1 time transfer without penalty. Anytime a player wants to pack up and leave he can do so, and play without sitting out a year. Gets rid of fake excuse of moving closer to home because someone is ill. You do not like it, then you are free to leave one time. After that it costs you one season of being ineligible.

3. Reduce the number of scholarships from 85 to 75 for football, with the ability to play 5 years, there is no need to stock up 5 QB's on the roster or redshirting most of a class. This will also even out the field, Alabama and other blue bloods will have less roster space to take 4 and 5 star players that are going to sit and wait for a chance to play. 10 less scholarships mean they will trickle down to programs like ISU.

Last edited:

CloneSt8

Aug 1, 2011
I am surprised that no football or basketball player has sued the NCAA over transfer rules. As I understand (correct me if I am wrong) football, and men and women's basketball are the only college sports with the rule to sit out a year when transferring. Other sports (tennis, track, softball, etc.) do not have that rule. How is that not descrimination?