INSIDER: Spring football nuggets (4-14-19)

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Ok first of all, in April, my birdies generally aren’t going to be dogging too many guys. Too early. They/we don’t know enough yet. But I’ve been working the phones today trying to get information on yesterday’s scrimmage.

Here are some interesting nuggets I’ve gotten on the spring as a whole.

— “Breece Hall is special.” ...

--- With that, Kene has really had a great spring too. My guess is that Kene will start the season at RB but like David as a freshman, Breece will work his way into getting significant reps early and often. Kene isn't gonna be standing on the sideline much though. They love him and he's finally blossoming post the Achilles injury.

— On the O-Line, apparently Good-Jones looks a lot better than he ever has in the Campbell Era. Newell continues to be a staff favorite. They think he will be very, very good.

— Purdy, Milton and Rose were referred to as “elite” by one source.

— From what I’ve gathered, Scates and Shaw have had the type of springs that the staff had hoped for, which will be big in trying to fill the shoes of Hakeem Butler. The 180 turnaround by Scates from last August until now is really quite incredible.

— Defensive line … sounds like Josh Bailey is finally starting to make his presence felt. Was told that he and Tucker Robertson will be make a push to play this season.

— “Will McDonald is a special, true freak.”

— A lot of enthusiasm about the longterm potential of young corners Anthony Johnson and Datrone Young. The Rice grad transfer insurance policy feels like a big deal to most in the program.

I’ll keep digging.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Ok first of all, in April, my birdies generally aren’t going to be dogging too many guys. Too early. They/we don’t know enough yet. But I’ve been working the phones today trying to get information on yesterday’s scrimmage.

Here are some interesting nuggets I’ve gotten on the spring as a whole.

— “Breece Hall is special.” ...

--- With that, Kene has really had a great spring too. My guess is that Kene will start the season at RB but like David as a freshman, Breece will work his way into getting significant reps early and often. Kene isn't gonna be standing on the sideline much though. They love him and he's finally blossoming post the Achilles injury.

— On the O-Line, apparently Good-Jones looks a lot better than he ever has in the Campbell Era. Newell continues to be a staff favorite. They think he will be very, very good.

— Purdy, Milton and Rose were referred to as “elite” by one source.

— From what I’ve gathered, Scates and Shaw have had the type of springs that the staff had hoped for, which will be big in trying to fill the shoes of Hakeem Butler. The 180 turnaround by Scates from last August until now is really quite incredible.

— Defensive line … sounds like Josh Bailey is finally starting to make his presence felt. Was told that he and Tucker Robertson will be make a push to play this season.

— “Will McDonald is a special, true freak.”

— A lot of enthusiasm about the longterm potential of young corners Anthony Johnson and Datrone Young. The Rice grad transfer insurance policy feels like a big deal to most in the program.

I’ll keep digging.

Thanks CW. I still miss the Spring game, but very appreciative for the report.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
764e93c24eb9f884ae6a51f441f4da01--kool-aid-man-cave.jpg

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Good info..hopefully JaQ Bailey isn’t too bad injury..he’s got cast on his foot.. still 3+. months until fball so I’m sure he will be ok..

Photo of DL is impressive...Isiah Lee is huge for RS frosh..Josh Bailey body looks totally different..Blake Peterson does not look like a true freshman, kid looks like a CPR 5th yr senior DE we would have playing.

• Agree
Reactions: ScottyP

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Good info..hopefully JaQ Bailey isn’t too bad injury..he’s got cast on his foot.. still 3+. months until fball so I’m sure he will be ok..

Photo of DL is impressive...Isiah Lee is huge for RS frosh..Josh Bailey body looks totally different..Blake Peterson does not look like a true freshman, kid looks like a CPR 5th yr senior DE we would have playing.
Photo?

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I think Jalen Martin will have a breakout year
It’ll be interesting to see how those lost yards from 2018 get spread around.

Still think Milton & Jones will have the majority of production but we’ll need a Martin/Scates/Shaw/Akers to step up (TE’s will help, obvi).

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Hopefully Akers can take another step up. He might be fast but struggled to get open. Plus he had two drops that resulted in interceptions.

• Agree
Reactions: Carlisle Clone