Basketball Rule Changes?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
What are your preferences for rule changes and/or how would the change impact Iowa State?

My preferences:

NBA Draft Stock (Not necessarily my preference but I believe this is the inevitable outcome)
  • NBA will draft right out of high school.
  • NBA will still draft one and done when someone like THT emerges
How to handle College kids trying their luck at the draft
  • Allow colleges to fill the scholly when a kid announces their intent to test the waters
  • If they come back and their old school does not have room for them they can transfer to any school they want without sitting out a year provided they maintained academic eligibility standards
  • A kid can come back even if they are drafted (let the NBA teams take the risk) so long as they do not take money
Transfers (maybe wishful thinking)
  • Grad transfers do not change
  • Kids caught in a coaching change can transfer without sitting out
  • All other transfers must sit out a year (my guess is academic integrity becomes more important if the one and dones are not in the equation)

My predicted impact to Iowa State

My guess is with the increased viability of the G-League that as many as 30 HS Seniors might get drafted each year albeit many in the second round. I would not be surprised to see the NBA add a round of drafting. This is significantly more than the high of nine kids in 2005 but the G-League was not a viable option at that point. Additionally, eighteen freshman were drafted last year (and one eligible HS).

With the trickle down effect, Duke and company are now getting the 25th - 31st best kid making competition for solid but development needy players like Hailiburton higher. Inevitably we lose a few of these kids (Wigginton?) but I think our program becomes BETTER relatively speaking than other options provided we maintain our current performance. If you are THT or Haliburton, Iowa State is an awesome option. If you "have to stick around" for a few years, you do so in front of awesome fans. If your talent emerges, you do it against premier competition and can leave early ala THT.

I think Iowa State also would benefit as a transfer option when the Dukes and Kentuckys see less one and dones. Right now, the blue bloods are claiming the top transfers to replace at least a portion of their one and dones. The correlation between guys ranked 25+ as HS recruits being ready for the NBA (perhaps ever) after a year is far less than 1-25 (particularly 1-15). If the blue bloods are keeping more guys, they need less transfers. In fact the blue bloods might see more exodus because they are also more likely to get guys disgruntled with PT. The 25th or 31st best guy in a class is still a stud but if three of them are playing the same position chances are someone is sitting. Hello Iowa State! .

Regardless I think all of this makes the College Basketball game better. We will still have a few one and dones but we have far more two, three and even four years guys.

Your thoughts?

• Informative
Reactions: CloniesForLife

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
Is there any reason to believe the number of kids trying to go after 1 year will reduce as the true talent goes straight out of high school and those who aren't ready will have already had a reality check?

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
Is there any reason to believe the number of kids trying to go after 1 year will reduce as the true talent goes straight out of high school and those who aren't ready will have already had a reality check?

I think it will be less but even if it stays the same as now (18 freshman) the correlation with recruiting ranking becomes significantly less. You will still see a Ja Morant, THT, Zhaire Smith etc. go (and they should) but the concentration of the guys leaving will be less blue blood centric.

I think that helps Iowa State more than it hurts Iowa State.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
The draft rule should mirror MLB. If you want to go out of high school go ahead. If you are going to go to college you need to stay for 3 years before you can leave.

This is what Bob Knight has always advocated. I know this will never happen, but it might be better than what we have now.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
The draft rule should mirror MLB. If you want to go out of high school go ahead. If you are going to go to college you need to stay for 3 years before you can leave.
I like this but like noted above, it'll never happen. Although I think they could meet in the middle and 2 years

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

That would have to be an NBA rule, not an NCAA rule. The NCAA doesn't have any powers as to when a player can get drafted.

One non-recruiting rule I'd like to see is the ability to call fouls on replay situations for out of bounds. I've seen several situations where a ball is called out on player A only to be reversed in replay because player A actually slapped player B's hand which caused the ball to go out of bounds. Don't know if they should give an actual personal foul, but at least award the ball to player B.

Or better yet, just give refs small low def screens to review plays. If you have to go frame by frame on a 4K monitor to see if a players pinky grazed the ball, we've gone too far. If it isn't obvious in 480p, then stick with the call on the floor.

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
One non-recruiting rule I'd like to see is the ability to call fouls on replay situations for out of bounds.

The impact to Iowa State if this rule is implemented is obvious - more phantom fouls called on Cam Lard (even with him gone) because his jersey might have grazed an elbow if he was there.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
:)If a Coach steps onto the court during a game action, a technical foul shall be called. Or else have a designated penalty box like hockey and a 5 minute major plus a fine.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I would change offensive foul rules, if not eliminate them entirely. Way too much flopping going on and players get rewarded too often. Texas tech was one of the better flopping programs this year and it showed, getting them all the way to national runner ups. Stop rewarding this. It's basketball, not acting. I would love to see offensive fouls called only in situations where there is egregious contact and wreckless abandon initiated by the offensive player:
  • Moving screens
  • Careless driving into the lane with a dropped shoulder
  • Post players using elbows to "hook" or "spin" a defender out of position
Perhaps there's more others could add, but this would be a good start. Get rid of the "set" rule. There is nothing I hate more than when an offensive player has a clear path to the rim only to have a defender come out of nowhere and slide in front of the last second, get both feet planted and simply get in the way. It makes it acceptable for teams to get away with lazy defense or no defense at all, and punishes the offensive player from simply trying to make a good play. Make these players defend! Stop giving them a cop out.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I would change offensive foul rules, if not eliminate them entirely. Way too much flopping going on and players get rewarded too often. Texas tech was one of the better flopping programs this year and it showed, getting them all the way to national runner ups. Stop rewarding this. It's basketball, not acting. I would love to see offensive fouls called only in situations where there is egregious contact and wreckless abandon initiated by the offensive player:
  • Moving screens
  • Careless driving into the lane with a dropped shoulder
  • Post players using elbows to "hook" or "spin" a defender out of position
Perhaps there's more others could add, but this would be a good start. Get rid of the "set" rule. There is nothing I hate more than when an offensive player has a clear path to the rim only to have a defender come out of nowhere and slide in front of the last second, get both feet planted and simply get in the way. It makes it acceptable for teams to get away with lazy defense or no defense at all, and punishes the offensive player from simply trying to make a good play. Make these players defend! Stop giving them a cop out.

These. Love when seeing the slowed down replay how the guys taking the charge is already falling backwards and there is still space between him and the offensive player. The air pressure from the charging player is pushing him down even before contact!

Seems to me that the charges in WBB are more legit. The gals don't flop so much and actually take the hit. Not that there aren't the last second slide overs, just not as prevalent IMHO.

Jkclone15

Nov 19, 2017
I'd like to see a challenge rule like in professional tennis. In tennis each player gets 3 challenges per set, where if they disagree with a call by the referee they can bring it up for further review, otherwise the call stands. Instead of having the current system of only some calls can be reviewed and only during specific times, just give coaches like 3 challenges per game for any type of call, not just fouls, and let them choose when they want to stop the game, not the refs.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I'd like to see a challenge rule like in professional tennis. In tennis each player gets 3 challenges per set, where if they disagree with a call by the referee they can bring it up for further review, otherwise the call stands. Instead of having the current system of only some calls can be reviewed and only during specific times, just give coaches like 3 challenges per game for any type of call, not just fouls, and let them choose when they want to stop the game, not the refs.

I'd limit it even further, one challenge per team per half. Put a time limit on reviews (maybe 45 seconds or 1 minute), and provide a monitor for officials that's larger than a dorm-room rabbit-ears portable.

Edit (addition): Agree, with Jkclone15, review can be used for (almost) any purpose, including such things as goal-tending. If a team uses a review, it forfeits its 30-second timeout for the half. Teams may not huddle with coach during review process.

Last edited:

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
This is definitely my preference, and is the best system available.

I don't know about three years but two seems fair. You make it three years and lightly recruited guys like Trae Young and Ja Morant would be stuck at OU and Murray State for one more season even though they were clearly ready to make the jump sooner.

Maybe you make the rule three years and you create a "late bloomer" exception to accommodate players in that category.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
If this is implemented, you also need the following along with it:

1. If a player wants to leave college after one or two years, he must spend one season in GLeague or overseas before becoming eligible to play in the NBA. You can’t make a kid play 3 years of college BB.

2. Implement the following NCAA rule for agent representation (similar to what is done for NCAA baseball): https://www.si.com/college-basketba...igation-ncaa-recruiting-rules-agents-benefits

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
As far as replay, I'd like to see a replay official. Having the normal officials go over to the monitor takes too long. Just have a guy sitting there and provide the call if necessary. That would speed it up a lot.

cfsivert

Aug 30, 2013
I think they should just count a kids full scholarship time. So Schools won't prosper by one-and-done's. If a kids comes, you're committed to him for 4 years of scholarship time. If he leaves early, he still "counts" toward your scholarship limit.

• Creative
Reactions: VeloClone