Things we need

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
I agree. A team with some leadership that does not tear itself apart when things get rocky is #1. Since I have no idea how you get there, I'll focus on talent....

Two guys I'm really looking forward to taking a big jump: Soloman Young and Terrance Lewis. We know we missed Solo's toughness to bang down low, and he also showed a bit of an outside J in his limited time last year. He has all the talent in the world. If he can learn to catch and finish, would be huge.

Lewis can be the outside sniper that we have been missing. Just needs to be consistent on his shot. Not worrying about getting yanked for one miss, I think will help him be more comfortable on the floor.

'Adding' those two guys to the rotation are almost like getting having two sit-out transfers coming in. They've been with the team and know the chemistry and have some experience.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Admon Gilder of A&M is grad transferring. 6'4 200 lb guard. Sat out this year with a blood clot issue. Last year averaged 12.3 points, 3.4 rebounds and 2.5 assists. Shot 46% overall and 40% from 3. You'd think that Kennedy would put in a good word. Would be a great addition IMO.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
After watching last nights games. We are missing some defensive schemes. I have no doubt our guys can play defense. I am wondering if it's Prohms scheme. Tech and VA both locked everyone down. They both had good shot blockers also. Hoping Conditt can become that guy.

Also, they have knock down three point shooters at Virginia that was the key to winning it. We have some decent three point shooters but need a Tyrus Mcgee or Matt Thomas. Just a guy that when it goes up. You are pretty sure it's going in the basket. Love Guy and Mooney. They can take it to the hoop a little bit, However, mostly they are known for just knocking down the big shots. The good part is we already have Conditt that might be able to fill the shot blocking roll now that he has a year under his belt.

I would like to see us add Grill. I think Grill can be kind of a knock down three point shooter and someone who can handle the ball. What do you all think we need to compete the next few years?

It's not the scheme. It's the willingness for 5 players out of 5 to perform their assignments. When that was happening, our defense was very, very good.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Did anybody really watch the game if they’re making up that nonsense?

Agendas are really sad. Tech and Virginia both had long long scoring droughts during the game. But, of course that’s different.

Agree...i remember several games in the elite 8/final four where the announcers would say things like "so and so is on a 4-6 minute drought"....very common...we just tend to see what we want to see/critique.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
We need to be physically and mentally tougher. It's what sets our 2000 men's team apart from all our other teams.
I think DeAndre Kane a few years ago was physically and mentally tough too. He was also about 24 years old.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Some guys like this:

200w.webp

• Funny
Reactions: isufbcurt

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Both coaches are superior defensive coaches to Prohm. Really it is all about fundamentals, being principled, and communication. I think he knows they need to continue to work on it. I think what would obviously help is having bigs that can switch everything and having that shot blocking presence is a huge plus as well. I think Conditt can be an excellent shot blocker.

Conditt seems to be more of a possession type shot blocker if that makes sense, as in he may block shots but in a way where the ball is still in play and there's a chance for ISU to gain possession. As opposed to the Kevin Garnett 3rd row swat that looks great but basically just lets the opponent pause and set something up.

Or at least make a close shooter uncomfortable which is also effective. This type of playing would have benefited in situations like KSU's Brown's winner in Hilton.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
I agree. A team with some leadership that does not tear itself apart when things get rocky is #1. Since I have no idea how you get there, I'll focus on talent....

Two guys I'm really looking forward to taking a big jump: Soloman Young and Terrance Lewis. We know we missed Solo's toughness to bang down low, and he also showed a bit of an outside J in his limited time last year. He has all the talent in the world. If he can learn to catch and finish, would be huge.

Lewis can be the outside sniper that we have been missing. Just needs to be consistent on his shot. Not worrying about getting yanked for one miss, I think will help him be more comfortable on the floor.

'Adding' those two guys to the rotation are almost like getting having two sit-out transfers coming in. They've been with the team and know the chemistry and have some experience.

Young has "all the talent in the world", but can't catch and finish?

My unpopular opinion: Solomon Young's value is largely overstated on this board.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I would love to see ISU land a beast in the middle. Like Hasse from Purdue, or Wesson from tOSU. Guys like that make a huge difference.

Better defense and rebounding. Prohm's teams are better than Freddie's, but need to get better. It's VERY RARE for ISU to out rebound anyone. Check the stats of any game they played this year... always on the short end. Time to tilt that table in our favor.