Things we need

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
After watching last nights games. We are missing some defensive schemes. I have no doubt our guys can play defense. I am wondering if it's Prohms scheme. Tech and VA both locked everyone down. They both had good shot blockers also. Hoping Conditt can become that guy.

Also, they have knock down three point shooters at Virginia that was the key to winning it. We have some decent three point shooters but need a Tyrus Mcgee or Matt Thomas. Just a guy that when it goes up. You are pretty sure it's going in the basket. Love Guy and Mooney. They can take it to the hoop a little bit, However, mostly they are known for just knocking down the big shots. The good part is we already have Conditt that might be able to fill the shot blocking roll now that he has a year under his belt.

I would like to see us add Grill. I think Grill can be kind of a knock down three point shooter and someone who can handle the ball. What do you all think we need to compete the next few years?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We need guys on the floor that won't go 4+ minutes without scoring. That happened waaaaay too often this year.

Yeah the offensive numbers I think looked really good but I'd bet things were better all over when ISU was sharing the ball instead of 3-4 guys trying to do what's not there.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonic1

ChickenNuggetMan

Drinks beer with CycloneLarry69
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2017
Minneapolis
A bucket getter. That’s something we didn’t always have last year as all our good scorers were prone to bad games or at least stretches of games.

A physical, tough as nails player who does the dirty work. Hard fought rebounds can go a long way.

A true 3 point threat. While we certainly had players who could shoot it from deep last year, no one really played the role of a constant long range shooter.

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
As of right now we need a lot, losing 4 of our top 5 scorers plus Lard. We need rebounders, we need a consistent bucket getter (not a guy who disappears for minutes at a time) and we need a true 3 pt threat that opens up the entire offense. Jacobson can kick all he wants but if we dont have a guy that can hit an open 3 were in trouble. Haliburton can but he passes up open looks all the time.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Pretty sure both teams last night had droughts of 4+ minutes without scoring, or at least were dang close to that length.

Continuing to play lock down defense and make timely shots is a more pressing need IMO.

Did anybody really watch the game if they’re making up that nonsense?

Agendas are really sad. Tech and Virginia both had long long scoring droughts during the game. But, of course that’s different.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
After watching last nights games. We are missing some defensive schemes. I have no doubt our guys can play defense. I am wondering if it's Prohms scheme. Tech and VA both locked everyone down. They both had good shot blockers also. Hoping Conditt can become that guy.

Also, they have knock down three point shooters at Virginia that was the key to winning it. We have some decent three point shooters but need a Tyrus Mcgee or Matt Thomas. Just a guy that when it goes up. You are pretty sure it's going in the basket. Love Guy and Mooney. They can take it to the hoop a little bit, However, mostly they are known for just knocking down the big shots. The good part is we already have Conditt that might be able to fill the shot blocking roll now that he has a year under his belt.

I would like to see us add Grill. I think Grill can be kind of a knock down three point shooter and someone who can handle the ball. What do you all think we need to compete the next few years?

still the best username on this site.

derpyherky

May 11, 2018
A coach that can make in game adjustments and not keep doing the same thing over and over when its not working.

We need a leader on the team. Jacobson was the closest thing to we had as a leader. There were times he would get after THT and Wiggy, which was needed during periods of hero ball.

Last edited:

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
I thought we needed better leadership on the floor. Babb and Shayok were both too laid back. Wigginton was too worried about his stats and his future. Haliburton and THT were freshmen. Jacobson finally took that roll in the end but it shouldn't have taken that long for someone to step up.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
We need guys on the floor that won't go 4+ minutes without scoring. That happened waaaaay too often this year.

Although.. this can happen to teams with GREAT defensive schemes and they wouldn't be down quite as much as a team that can't get stops.

I saw it numerous times with Tech/VA. (Although VA went on a scoring drought and allowed Auburn back in it)

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Dad thinks that the team will have a better record next year, because he foresees a more cohesive unit with the individuals we're losing.

Told him he's crazy and took that bet. Loser buys the others 2020 bowl ticket.

I can see a more cohesive unit next year, but I think the talent drop off is just too much to ask these guys to do the same things they did this year.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

Grill isn't a lights out 3 point shooter is he? Thought he was like 30 something %.

• Agree
Reactions: spitfyr36

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Both coaches are superior defensive coaches to Prohm. Really it is all about fundamentals, being principled, and communication. I think he knows they need to continue to work on it. I think what would obviously help is having bigs that can switch everything and having that shot blocking presence is a huge plus as well. I think Conditt can be an excellent shot blocker.

wgleason

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
Tech just looks like all parts are interchangeable on defense most games in the tourney. Their bigs can stay with most guards & saw Mooney defend in the paint fairly well. Great team defense.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron