UCLA /new rumors (+ back story on strange search for coach)

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Luke Walton after he gets canned by the Lakers?

clone2003

Sep 1, 2013
At what point do you say screw it and invite Alford back? Or isn't there some successful alum you might give a try ala Penny Hardaway?
A lot of the former UCLA players were campaigning for former-Bruin Earl Watson, who has some NBA head coaching experience.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Latest on the rumor mill: UCLA looking to talk to Bennett after tonight's game.
Read it in the St Paul Pioneer Press yesterday.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Why even waste time. Bennett isn't leaving VA for UCLA. He is in a better conference, coming off a possible national championship. What is wrong with the UCLA athletic director. It's ridiculous.

I know what you're saying, but the same was true for Johnny Orr.
All depends on the money for some coaches. Bennett and Few may not be in that category, however.

• Winner
Reactions: dahliaclone

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
West coast basketball is so terrible. There is no good coaching talent out there to match that culture/geography except Few and he isn’t going anywhere. Just a stagnant conference, stagnant teams, stagnant coaching all over. They probably should have gotten TJ.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I know what you're saying, but the same was true for Johnny Orr.
All depends on the money for some coaches. Bennett and Few may not be in that category, however.

At this point. I doubt UCLA will have a better contract financially than what Virginia will probably put together after the season or he might have already signed a new one. Plus, UCLA does remind me of Nebraska. The years of kids even knowing UCLA was good is the same as the kids that knew UNLV was at one point good. At least Nebraska finally got a former player. UCLA would be wise trying to reach out to any former players that coach. Like Earl Watson?? Just give it a shot. Might be able to get him cheap and might hit lighting in a bottle.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Why doesn't someone just ask Uncle Randy? He seems to know everything about coaching changes.

• Agree
Reactions: Joel1

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I'm not sports admin guy, but I wonder if they'd be better off having an interim coach next year (from within) and "refresh" this search and see who is "hot" next year? Just seems now they are grasping and could get locked into "something" vs maybe spending two million to have an assistant keep it afloat, etc.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Why even waste time. Bennett isn't leaving VA for UCLA. He is in a better conference, coming off a possible national championship. What is wrong with the UCLA athletic director. It's ridiculous.
Indeed. Theyre not getting him unless they dump a shitload of money at him, but there's no indication UCLA is willing to spend that freely or they'd already have their coach.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
I heard Will Ferrell is available as a player-coach after his sterling performance in SEMI PRO. Can't you see them having a real live bear at the games.:)

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I'm not familiar with the immediate UCLA area, but UCLA hiring a coach for $5 million per year isn't exactly a slam dunk when lots of guys are making in the $4 million ballpark in dirt cheap flyover country. Obviously there are some great aspects to the job and area, but you've also got what are probably unrealistic expectations, an absolutely tanking conference bleeding money, and the west coast TV problem.