BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I wasn't complaining, I was agreeing with the point that even though you're no longer paying daycare, outfitting teens can be very pricey.

You must've missed the part where I said they don't get everything they want. Pair of Lulu's here, Patagonia fleece there, Kors purse for the one getting ready for college... I don't think saying your teen has an iPhone is a brag.

I'm not wealthy, not even close, if that makes you feel better?

Double checked what the going price of what the team socks that the kids wear. I was a little off on the Nike grips. You can get them for 27.99 before tax, so it was maybe a couple percent off. Like you I don't give them everything, but something here and something there and before you know it you have 300 dollars wrapped up in that little saturday morning run with one kid. Several of the HS teams go with matching shoes and other things. Girls basketball team had the nikes that you have your name printed inside so you can't get them stolen or mixed up as easy. I'm not letting my kids get ridden by teammates for 50-60 bucks, so I just get them. Our kids are in 4 sports and like yours go on the mission trips and other things. It adds up faster than most think.

We aren't rich but I would much rather spend money on my kids than myself. Any job they get, I get them to put most of that in savings.

Found this about the cost getting worse.

https://www.thestreet.com/personal-finance/cost-to-raise-child-14814957

• Agree
Reactions: Gonzo

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Jesus ******* Christ this thread is almost convincing me to never have kids. So expensive to raise just one child anymore.
Yup wrap it up unless you want to plan on being more broke than you've ever imagined. I just picked up a 2nd job 20 hours a week and my wife an I both make good incomes. Its one thing to get by but its another to go backwards. I got the 2nd job just to avoid accruing more debt and less saving. Its NUTS!!!

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I'm within spitting range of that and it's only for one infant.
yeah I figured 28200 is what my peak cost a year will be for 2 years. I mean that's only 56400 in those 2 years. Plus the extra 26400 for the last 2 years of our 2nd child. Now that I'm doing the numbers..... I need a good stiff vodka drink.

Reactions: cowgirl836

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
What daycare charges 1230/mo? You poor poor soul you made me feel better today lol
An absolute ton of daycares in the metro that are at least 1000/mo.

I'm sure there are in home or older ones that aren't approaching the 1200 number but for a good, clean, well staffed one that's going rate.

• Agree
Reactions: Tailg8er

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
TBH, I don't know how the margins really work in daycares.

Say it's 300 a week and your child is there for 45 hours.
Legally, there's 4 infants per employee at infant age.
That's $26.60 an hour. How does a center make a profit off that? I'm assuming they aren't really but are making the profit off your 4/5 year old where there can be many more than 4 to 1 ratio.

• Agree
Reactions: cowgirl836

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames

That's $26.60 an hour. How does a center make a profit off that? I'm assuming they aren't really but are making the profit off your 4/5 year old where there can be many more than 4 to 1 ratio.
So infants are just a loss leader?

• Funny
Reactions: PlanoClone

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

Yeah they must make more when you get to toddlers and have like an 8 to 1 ratio. I had penciled out the infant stuff too and cane away thinking they need to be paid more for that amount of work. Even though what I pay is a lot.i don't really want bargain prices on infant care.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
yeah I figured 28200 is what my peak cost a year will be for 2 years. I mean that's only 56400 in those 2 years. Plus the extra 26400 for the last 2 years of our 2nd child. Now that I'm doing the numbers..... I need a good stiff vodka drink.

I legit have a spreadsheet I used to estimate out daycare costs if we had 2-3 kids when we were house hunting. Our one kid is more than our mortgage. And I don't even think the drop at 2 years was that significant. By the time he alone is done, we'll be approaching what I paid for my out of state degree at ISU.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
What daycare charges 1230/mo? You poor poor soul you made me feel better today lol

The new kindercare in N. Ankeny

Our babysitter works at our daycare and she said she gets paid $8/hour and most of the employees are high-schoolers in the afternoon and retired moms or women with rich husbands during the day.

This place is mainly staffed by high schoolers in the late afternoon as well; someone's definitely making bank on the deal and I'm guessing it's not them

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The new kindercare in N. Ankeny
This place is mainly staffed by high schoolers in the late afternoon as well; someone's definitely making bank on the deal and I'm guessing it's not them
Yeah but at most that’s, what 3 hours a day when they’ve got to staff it from 6,7 am to 3? I still don’t get how there’s margins on infants.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
For those that think daycare goes away when your kids start school - think again.

If both spouses work full time, you still need care in the summer when they aren't in school, unless you are fortunate enough to have a relative watch them or you have an educator in the family. Throw in you are probably going to have some before and after school care unless you can make your schedules work to avoid this.

And don't forget summer camps - those aren't cheap either.