Jerry Stackhouse, New Head Coach of Vanderbilt

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Replacing a good recruiter with a bad win-loss recorder in three years, with a guy who used to play basketball. Bold move.

• Funny
Reactions: chadly82

ILiftWithRoyce

Feb 6, 2012
Ankeny
If this guy was G-league coach of the year and an NBA assistant last year, is this really a laughable hire? guys on twitter seem to think the AD just went out and hired a big name with no resume. Obviously the jury is still out, but I'd assume Stackhouse's name will help him land players just like Fred's did, and the dude has a bit of coaching experience to go with it, which is more than Fred had. ISU fans of all people should probably keep our mouths shut about this one

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
Replacing a good recruiter with a bad win-loss recorder in three years, with a guy who used to play basketball. Bold move.

You should probably learn about the things you speak of, before speaking about them. Makes you look dumb.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
For me, Vanderbilt is the easiest team to cheer for in the SEC. I hope it's a good hire. If he's successful, he'll be able to move to a higher paying job pretty easily.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Vanderbilt is getting a hell of a coach. Stackhouse has had a massive part in the Raptors uprising with the development of guys like Pascal Siakam, Fred Van Vleet, Delon Wright, Jakob Poeltl amongst others while coach of the Raps G League team.

Was a candidate to replace Dwane Casey this offseason as well.

How successful he is will largely depend on his ability to recruit or bring in others who can recruit well for him.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneNorth

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
As a Vandy alum (I went there after ISU), I like this hire. I had some hope for the 'Dores because they had 2 5-star recruits for the first time ever, I'm sure. Then Garland blew out his knee and Shittu wasn't quite as far along as people hoped (and just declared for the draft) and they had a train wreck of a season.

I'm interested to see how Stackhouse does. The guy could certainly PLAY and he's paid his dues coaching. I hope he gets someone in that knows the recruiting ropes. Vandy isn't an easy place to recruit but they've managed to get to the tourney fairly often so it's not impossible. And Nashville is the best city in the SEC IMO.

I'm not used to having Vandy threads on this site other than last year's Big12-SEC challenge game.

• Informative
Reactions: mj4cy

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
It's really similar to hiring Penny Hardaway at Memphis or Hoiberg at ISU. None had proven college coaching experience but were well thought of and had experience outside of just playing in the NBA. My guess is each will last 4-5 years before moving on to the next dream job. It would be foolish to believe any coaches first gig will be a life-long one.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
You should probably learn about the things you speak of, before speaking about them. Makes you look dumb.

Not saying anything about the post you’re responding to, but holy **** what an ironic post

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
It's really similar to hiring Penny Hardaway at Memphis or Hoiberg at ISU. None had proven college coaching experience but were well thought of and had experience outside of just playing in the NBA. My guess is each will last 4-5 years before moving on to the next dream job. It would be foolish to believe any coaches first gig will be a life-long one.

No, no it is not.

One's experience included G-League coach of the year for a championship team and NBA assistant coach.

The other two were a HS coach and a front office exec.

Huge difference.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
No, no it is not.

One's experience included G-League coach of the year for a championship team and NBA assistant coach.

The other two were a HS coach and a front office exec.

Huge difference.

Yep, and I'm sure one likes Boxers and the other Briefs. I wasn't trying to imply they were siamese twin level identicals. :)

My comparison was based more on them being hired because of the allure of their name and NBA playing experience first, and anything else a far distant secondary, though each had "something" they could try and sell a possible hiring AD.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Sound familiar? But he has more experience than CFH did

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Not sure if this was a factor but it is a fun fact: Vandy's new AD is Malcolm Turner, who used to be the head of the G League. I imagine that he knew Stackhouse from his days coaching in that league.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron