MLB: ***Official 2019 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
I played 1st base and Catcher all growing up and only played catcher in High School. Senior year I got the chance to start a few games at Pitcher due to being a small school and some injuries.

It isn’t that ******* hard to locate ******* pitches and throw strikes but the Cubs pitching staff makes it look tucking impossible.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I love Joe...I can't not love Joe....but he has made some strange moves in his tenure.

I more and more expect Girardi to be the guy next year.

I think Joe might be out by Memorial Day with the way this is going, which sucks, there’s not a better manager out there, but the front office needs a scapegoat.

It won’t be Girardi who replaces him though, it will be someone who’s good with running out the front offices lineup each day and plays things pretty much entirely based on analytics.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
He will probably take the fall but I don't know what he can really do right now about it.
Agreed. It’s not all his fault. But some of it is. Mostly this team just needs a different voice and mantra in their ears right now. They are broken and have been since last July.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
Why do the Cubs insist on pitching Edwards and Chatwood? They're ******* terrible! This isn't some big mystery. They need to be DFA'd.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
Also, the Cubs are currently on the wrong side of a perfect game being pitched by Max Scher...wait, Justin Verl...wait, Chris Sale...no, Max Fried? Max Fried?!?!?

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
ShockingLivelyHound-size_restricted.gif

• Winner
Reactions: ClonesTwenty1

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Bottom line, Theo and Jed failed to build a franchise that was both successful and sustainable.

I got blasted for saying it then, but I still believe that trading for Q to deplete our farm system was a terrible decision.

If things are like this in June, I certainly hope Heyward, Happ, Bote, Zagunis, Descalso, Hamels, Morrow, Edwards, etc...are traded away for guys who can provide help on the mound next year.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I turned off my game alerts on my phone, this team is a trainwreck. Still a long season, plenty of time to figure it out. In the meantime it'll be nice not knowing when the Cubs bullpen blows another game.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I turned off my game alerts on my phone, this team is a trainwreck. Still a long season, plenty of time to figure it out. In the meantime it'll be nice not knowing when the Cubs bullpen blows another game.

For right now, I can't invest three hours of my life in this. Like you said, plenty of time to right themselves, but the bullpen is going to strangle the life out of this team.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Bottom line, Theo and Jed failed to build a franchise that was both successful and sustainable.

I got blasted for saying it then, but I still believe that trading for Q to deplete our farm system was a terrible decision.

If things are like this in June, I certainly hope Heyward, Happ, Bote, Zagunis, Descalso, Hamels, Morrow, Edwards, etc...are traded away for guys who can provide help on the mound next year.

No one will want AAAA players and an auto double play guy with a giant contract.

• Winner
Reactions: Skyh13

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Maddon gonna survive April? It’s looking unlikely.

If the current trend keeps up he will be fired this season but I doubt they fire him this month. He's obviously a lame duck manager since they did not extend his contract which is crazy to think that he just broke the impossible curse in 2016 and already in the hot seat. I thought at the time he'd go down as the baseball version of Ditka in Chicago but it is crazy how the bar has been raised and the first sign of distress now how fans are ready to fire him.

That being said I have always said that his management of Chapman in the World Series would get most managers fired and had they not pulled out the win in game 7 he probably would have been fired by now if things played out like they have.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
It is pretty sad when Zagunis who spent most of his season in Iowa last year was the best hitter in this game up until the 9th inning. He is the classic Cubs 4A guy who gets hot at the right time when he gets a shot in the big leagues but the Cubs don't capitalize on that by trading him at peak value before the scouting reports come out on him and MLB pitchers pitch to his weakness then he just turns into another disappointment.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
If the current trend keeps up he will be fired this season but I doubt they fire him this month. He's obviously a lame duck manager since they did not extend his contract which is crazy to think that he just broke the impossible curse in 2016 and already in the hot seat. I thought at the time he'd go down as the baseball version of Ditka in Chicago but it is crazy how the bar has been raised and the first sign of distress now how fans are ready to fire him.

That being said I have always said that his management of Chapman in the World Series would get most managers fired and had they not pulled out the win in game 7 he probably would have been fired by now if things played out like they have.

His management of the bullpen in the postseason in general is pretty pathetic

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

The problem is most of those guys have contracts the Cubs would have to eat a lot of money to trade in order to get decent prospects in a trade. No one is going to take the bulk of Heyward's contract and the rest are either on the last year of their contract or have issues that no one is going to give you much of value back. The most desirable trade assets they have are the core guys they want to build around.