Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
In youth a 50 buck bat that lasts 3-4 years works. In HS, those composite bats are 300-400 and you pray it lasts 2 . We didn’t buy expensive cleats yearly until HS and in youth it was cheaper ones that would go two years. Football is the nastiest sport to outfit, so different than I was in school.

If your kid has a vehicle in 4th grade that eats up gas and insurance, he’s the coolest in his class. :)

If you think what you spend on clothes for a 4th grader compares to a HSer, just give it a couple years. You are on the edge. Our youngest, 5th grader, has now became conscious about clothing brands and styles. Heck, socks now are like 30 bucks a pair. They don’t last any longer.

My daughter quit dance after 8th grade and that was 250/month for lessons and costumes. The expenditures haven’t went down. Amongst the people I know and my sisters and their kids, I wouldn’t say we aren’t way above them. My sister probably spends more than we do.

Next year one goes to college so that is 2k/month right there.

Our daycare was probably 1000/month for 2 kids for comparison. (Or 500/kid)

You're still using high numbers for nearly every category. You trying to say every kid playing baseball in high school has a new $400 bat every 2 years? Yeah, no. I played football and officiate it now, other than cleats ($100), mouthpiece/chinstrap ($30), gloves ($40) and game under clothes ($100), there isn't much else you have to buy..

As far as car goes, liability insurance on a 10+ year old car isn't over $100, probably less. A high schooler who rarely needs to drive over 20 miles in a day with a 4 cylinder car won't use much gas (especially since they'll have a summer job).

Socks aren't $30/pair, again, you're exaggerating. If you're a savvy shopper at all, you can outfit a child for $1,000/year (again, that nifty job can help them go above that).

Our oldest has been in dance and cheer for 3 years now, not once has either cost $250/month, and rarely do they combined.

And I'm already saving for both their college (not to say they couldn't pay for their own like I did). This isn't a cost that's changing.

Again, I'm not saying you CAN'T spend $1,000/month, but it's pretty easy not to.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Why does a kid need a car?
giphy.gif

STLISU

Aug 25, 2017
St. Louis (CWE)
I'm not sure exactly what you mean my "community in action". The main business district is Beaver Ave/Urbandale Avenue intersection. A little further south you have the small Price Chopper (which pretty much serves the neighborhood) and Snookies Ice Cream Shop (which literally had people camping out for their opening day last Saturday).

The housing stock is more varied than you suggest, but yes, it is dominated by "Beaverdale brick" houses that drip with character, but don't come with the modern amenities.

If money was no object, IMO the best neighborhoods in the metro are just west of downtown (Oak HIll, North of Grand, South of Grand, Waterbury, Waveland, etc.) You have quick access to all the businesses/restaurants/bars on Ingersoll, not to mention downtown. Huge Oak trees, beautiful homes. The problem: these homes don't go on the market often and when they do, they come with a healthy price tag which can be tough to stomach, when you compare to how much more house you can get in a suburb for same price. You're truly are buying here for love of character of homes, location, and a more traditional neighborhood feel.

A group of my friends from St. Louis recently traveled to DSM to run in the DSM marathon this past fall. They stayed in an Airbnb just west of downtown in the South of Grand area. They couldn't stop raving about DSM. These are people that travel frequently for work and pleasure.

I myself as a very recent retiree am in the process of moving to Ames. If I were younger, I would choose DSM over Ames. But as a retiree, I feel Ames is an ideal retiree location.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Idk, my parents managed it. Friends also had cars.

Happy your parents picked you up after games and practice while in HS, I have no desire to do something that my kids can do and learn some basic driving and auto skills before they leave for high school.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Im just tired of playing chauffer and working a full time job. Im pissed my kid doesnt want a moped for the summer as he just turned 14.

Sorry to everyone in Johnston that gets stuck behind a white Enclave. Please allow alot of room on the round abouts, he is a work in progress.
I take the roundabouts by the high school every day doing about 25. Going faster helps you stay in your lane. Tell him centrifugal force is his friend....

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
What in HS costs $1,000/month?? So far at 4th grade we've dabbled in dance, cheer, & soccer - haven't even spent a quarter of that I don't think. And my kids will be expected to have a job in high school, at least in the summer. I can't imagine the costs being the same, and probably not close.

Unless this is some joke about our kids having kids by then.. lol.. in which case, ignore what I posted.
Well I'm going to completely win in this scenario. I'll soon have 2 in the same daycare at 1985/mo that includes the discount for my son being 2 when the 2nd one starts! Good god

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
You're still using high numbers for nearly every category. You trying to say every kid playing baseball in high school has a new $400 bat every 2 years? Yeah, no. I played football and officiate it now, other than cleats ($100), mouthpiece/chinstrap ($30), gloves ($40) and game under clothes ($100), there isn't much else you have to buy..

As far as car goes, liability insurance on a 10+ year old car isn't over $100, probably less. A high schooler who rarely needs to drive over 20 miles in a day with a 4 cylinder car won't use much gas (especially since they'll have a summer job).

Socks aren't $30/pair, again, you're exaggerating. If you're a savvy shopper at all, you can outfit a child for $1,000/year (again, that nifty job can help them go above that).

Our oldest has been in dance and cheer for 3 years now, not once has either cost $250/month, and rarely do they combined.

And I'm already saving for both their college (not to say they couldn't pay for their own like I did). This isn't a cost that's changing.

Again, I'm not saying you CAN'T spend $1,000/month, but it's pretty easy not to.

I'm with you for the most part but the clothing thing is legit. I have two teenage daughters and my world is a blur of Patagonia, Lululemon, Birkenstocks, Kors, Kate Spade, Vera Bradley... They don't get everything they want, but we don't deprive them from having some of the things they want. And then there's the technology, Apple watches and iPhones, etc., and the makeup from Sephora and Ulta. And then there's the track shoes and gear, volleyball shoes and gear, cheerleading gear. And then there's the class trips, the summer mission trips and youth retreats. Just saying. Getting out from the costs of daycare is very nice. But I do think back fondly to the days when they'd get super excited after opening a present and finding a pack of stickers.

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
Well I'm going to completely win in this scenario. I'll soon have 2 in the same daycare at 1985/mo that includes the discount for my son being 2 when the 2nd one starts! Good god

Looks like we're at $1230 for one infant: your record may not be safe if we have another

• Funny
Reactions: chadly82

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
I'm with you for the most part but the clothing thing is legit. I have two teenage daughters and my world is a blur of Patagonia, Lululemon, Birkenstocks, Kors, Kate Spade, Vera Bradley... They don't get everything they want, but we don't deprive them from having some of the things they want. And then there's the technology, Apple watches and iPhones, etc., and the makeup from Sephora and Ulta. And then there's the track shoes and gear, volleyball shoes and gear, cheerleading gear. And then there's the class trips, the summer mission trips and youth retreats. Just saying. Getting out from the costs of daycare is very nice. But I do think back fondly to the days when they'd get super excited after opening a present and finding a pack of stickers.
Humble brag on the clothes you buy your kids.....

If those are the brands they wear and they have iPhones and Apple watches then you have nothing to complain about. That’s on you, not them.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

Aren't Russian brides cheaper? I mean heck at these prices you can almost give someone a full time. job.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Humble brag on the clothes you buy your kids.....

If those are the brands they wear and they have iPhones and Apple watches then you have nothing to complain about. That’s on you, not them.

I wasn't complaining, I was agreeing with the point that even though you're no longer paying daycare, outfitting teens can be very pricey.

You must've missed the part where I said they don't get everything they want. Pair of Lulu's here, Patagonia fleece there, Kors purse for the one getting ready for college... I don't think saying your teen has an iPhone is a brag.

I'm not wealthy, not even close, if that makes you feel better?

Last edited:

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Aren't Russian brides cheaper? I mean heck at these prices you can almost give someone a full time. job.
oh yeah with 2 we could have a nanny out of our house ....or the learning center we currently send our son to in West Des Moines. We will unfortunately be at about 28k a year soon since its weekly too.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Jesus mothertrucking christ
This is exactly what I said, most places will give you a break for having 2. Not so much in this one and since my son has already been there a year my wife doesn't want to change daycares. Shoot me now please....

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston

Oh yeah, I don't doubt you can spend $1,000+. And I'm ready for their clothes/shoes/electronics to cost more once we get to high school, but I'm not about to outfit them with only the best all the time. Birthdays, Christmas, and grandparents can take care of some of that, I'll get some, and their jobs can chip in if they think they need to be that fancy lol.

When I was in high school I'd get like $500 on tax free weekend, and that was my clothes budget for the year. Doubling that to $1,000/year (plus gifts) is more than sufficient for my household.

• Winner
Reactions: khardbored