Are You Cheering For Iowa Tonight?

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Goose is a very good player but I think the stat can also be misleading and she definitely benefits from the Big10 exposure.

Iowa PPG is 78.4 while we had 78.9 ppg but defensively we are better: our margin per game is 14.9 vs 11.1.

Individual stats Goose vs Carleton:
Ppg 27.8 vs 21.7
Rpg 13.4 vs 8.6
Assist total: 61 vs 140
TO: 58 vs 93
STL: 15 vs 79
BLK: 63 vs 43

I feel Goose gets a lot of credit because of her scoring. Again, she’s good and she carried the tean to great heights while Carleton is IMHO, a more complete player.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
Thanks guys for taking the spotlight off of the game. Helped ease the pain a bit.

Gonna miss Gustafson. Easily the best wbb player the state has ever seen.
This post was below you. I have always enjoyed your postings, but you let your emotions get away with you here.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
This post was below you. I have always enjoyed your postings, but you let your emotions get away with you here.

I'll be the first to admit it wasn't necessary, and I was a bit on the emotional side. I also didn't realure until now that this thread wasn't in the instate rivals forum, so I do apologise for the derailment.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I'll be the first to admit it wasn't necessary, and I was a bit on the emotional side. I also didn't realure until now that this thread wasn't in the instate rivals forum, so I do apologise for the derailment.
No problem.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Goose is a very good player but I think the stat can also be misleading and she definitely benefits from the Big10 exposure.

Iowa PPG is 78.4 while we had 78.9 ppg but defensively we are better: our margin per game is 14.9 vs 11.1.

Individual stats Goose vs Carleton:
Ppg 27.8 vs 21.7
Rpg 13.4 vs 8.6
Assist total: 61 vs 140
TO: 58 vs 93
STL: 15 vs 79
BLK: 63 vs 43

I feel Goose gets a lot of credit because of her scoring. Again, she’s good and she carried the tean to great heights while Carleton is IMHO, a more complete player.

Is it true that Gustafson only took one 3 pointer this entire season? I didn't realize she was so one dimensional. Carleton can do it all.

Which will translate better in the WNBA? Gustafson will be going up against women like Baylor had on the interior every night in the WNBA, and without an outside game at all, won't she struggle a bit? Carleton could play in or out and drive it too. Also great passer too.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Is it true that Gustafson only took one 3 pointer this entire season? I didn't realize she was so one dimensional. Carleton can do it all.

Which will translate better in the WNBA? Gustafson will be going up against women like Baylor had on the interior every night in the WNBA, and without an outside game at all, won't she struggle a bit? Carleton could play in or out and drive it too. Also great passer too.

She still had 23 points on 60% shooting against Baylor. I'm sure she'll be fine.

• Agree
Reactions: BoxsterCy

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
She still had 23 points on 60% shooting against Baylor. I'm sure she'll be fine.

I agree, she'll probably be fine. She is a great player for sure.

I just think Carleton has a better all around game. With the emphasis on "all around". I did not say Carleton was the better player.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
I'll be honest, my original comment was done tongue in cheek, because I wasn't really expecting this to be an argument. Saying the espnw player of the year is easily the best =/= there haven't been other great players. Gustafson has literally done what no other player has done. Ever.

This is on par with me trying to make a point that a Mark Perry was as good of a wrestler as Cael, despite all evidence saying otherwise.
Then you would have to also admit that Monte Morris is the best player the state has ever had, since he did something no one had ever done before (led NCAA in Assist to Turnover ratio for his career).

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Then you would have to also admit that Monte Morris is the best player the state has ever had, since he did something no one had ever done before (led NCAA in Assist to Turnover ratio for his career).

He was a great player for sure. I'm not sure he'd even be the best player even in Iowa State history, but very good.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
I thought the determining factor was if they've done something no one had done before? Are you moving the goalposts now?

I guess you could say I am. Although I also mentioned national awards like first team All-american honors and being a finalist for the Naismith.