MLB: ***Official 2019 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm usually pretty optimistic with the Cubs but based off what I have seen so far this team is at a crossroads for the future. If you can't compete this year you have to figure out who your guys are going forward and gut the rest of the roster at the deadline. I'm predicting they might be 10 games out of 1st by the All-Star break which means they will probably be sellers at the trade deadline.

Lester: Probably won't get traded because he was the 1st signing that built this team that won the World Series but if they through nostalgia out the window if he is having a decent season you have to consider trading him at age 35 if you can get something of value in return while cutting payroll
Zobrist: 38 and in the last year of his contract. get any kind of prospect for salary relief
Hamels: 35 and last year of contract. get what you can for a veteran rental
Chishek: could be the most valuable guy in the bullpen and could net a decent prospect
Strop: would hate to see him go but could net a decent return

Everyone else is under player control or has a contract that the Cubs would have to eat a lot of money. Heyward and Darvish the Cubs are probably stuck with and have to hope they figure it out because no one will be offering meaningful returns with their contract. Chatwood sucks but he only has 1 more year left after this season and they won't get anything of value for him in a trade so will not be shocked when the day comes that he is released.

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
Strength is inherently a weakness? Lol! That's like saying defense is a weakness because if you pitch well enough no one should ever put a ball in play.

No if you pitch well enough to keep guys off base that is a strength. If you are looking for the equivalent from a pitcher it would be a pitcher with a great pick off move. I didn't think what I said was that hard to comprehend.

The defensive responsibility of a catcher is to be good at the things that keep runners off base (framing, calling a game) not throwing them out.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
No if you pitch well enough to keep guys off base that is a strength. If you are looking for the equivalent from a pitcher it would be a pitcher with a great pick off move. I didn't think what I said was that hard to comprehend.

The defensive responsibility of a catcher is to be good at the things that keep runners off base (framing, calling a game) not throwing them out.
It's hard to comprehend because it makes no sense, but by all means keep trying to explain it.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I'm usually pretty optimistic with the Cubs but based off what I have seen so far this team is at a crossroads for the future. If you can't compete this year you have to figure out who your guys are going forward and gut the rest of the roster at the deadline. I'm predicting they might be 10 games out of 1st by the All-Star break which means they will probably be sellers at the trade deadline.

Lester: Probably won't get traded because he was the 1st signing that built this team that won the World Series but if they through nostalgia out the window if he is having a decent season you have to consider trading him at age 35 if you can get something of value in return while cutting payroll
Zobrist: 38 and in the last year of his contract. get any kind of prospect for salary relief
Hamels: 35 and last year of contract. get what you can for a veteran rental
Chishek: could be the most valuable guy in the bullpen and could net a decent prospect
Strop: would hate to see him go but could net a decent return

Everyone else is under player control or has a contract that the Cubs would have to eat a lot of money. Heyward and Darvish the Cubs are probably stuck with and have to hope they figure it out because no one will be offering meaningful returns with their contract. Chatwood sucks but he only has 1 more year left after this season and they won't get anything of value for him in a trade so will not be shocked when the day comes that he is released.

I'll be shocked if they sell off anyone at the deadline. This team still has a ton of talent so for them to completely collapse is unlikely to happen. The scenario I see happening is they are in the race all season with Milwaukee and St Louis and finish in the 84-86 win territory, not enough to make the playoffs, but not bad enough to have a fire sale.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'll stick to what I said going in to the season. The first 20 or so games will tell the story. If this keeps up through April, the wheels will come completely off this thing. And if it does, in my mind Bryant, Javy ad Hendricks, with his new contract, are about the only three who are untouchable.

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
We have Hendricks $55mil?!?!?!?!

Starters have had poor showings, bullpen is a dumpster fire (shocker).

Could Joe be gone by the break?

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
We have Hendricks $55mil?!?!?!?!

Starters have had poor showings, bullpen is a dumpster fire (shocker).

Could Joe be gone by the break?

Was thinking the same thing. That was barely a professional effort last night.

A few more of those and he could be packing. Still early. Still early.

• Agree
Reactions: Walden4Prez

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
We are 4 games in. 2.5% of the season and there’s talk about being sellers at the deadline. Let’s at least get through April before writing off the season

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
Joe's body language in the dugout is horrible. No energy, doesn't look like he cares at all.
I love Joe...I can't not love Joe....but he has made some strange moves in his tenure.

I more and more expect Girardi to be the guy next year.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
Does anyone understand MLB's scheduling? Cubs played opening day, then had an off day for no apparent reason before resuming the series with the Rangers. Now the Cubs start their series with the Braves, only to have another seemingly inexplicable off day before resuming the series. I don't get it.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Does anyone understand MLB's scheduling? Cubs played opening day, then had an off day for no apparent reason before resuming the series with the Rangers. Now the Cubs start their series with the Braves, only to have another seemingly inexplicable off day before resuming the series. I don't get it.
The 2nd day of the season is always a day off in case it rains opening day

• Winner
Reactions: riceville98

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
When a team has a Home Opening Day they usually leave the next day open in case of bad weather.

• Winner
Reactions: riceville98

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
The team could use a day to collectively remove their heads from their butts.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik