THT Going into the Draft

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Two guys outside the top 150 and one who we are hoping recovers from a major injury to play at his prior levels. If we are counting on major contributions from this group next year the I don't see us in the dance next year. I should also note that I am in the camp of LW being gone no matter what.

Haliburton and Conditt were not highly rated and many speculated would need to red shirt this time last year yet contributed. Should we expect any of the incoming freshman to contribute right away, probably not. We shouldn't dismiss them playing early either. Leech is the ultimate wild card depending on his recovery when he arrives.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Good to know you judge the entire season only by NCAA tournament games then. So we can agree since you only care about tournament games then that this year and 2014-2015 were extremely disappointing seasons then right?

2014-15 was a disappointing year.

Team was soft and legit pissed away the regular season conference title.

Fred was their coach though...so you probably thought it was amazing.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
I don’t know why some of you are counting on Leech to be some savior next season...maybe I’m way off but I wouldn’t count on him doing much for couple years...he needs to gain more weight and get his game back IMO.

Tre Jackson however....Kid can flat out shoot the rock.

If we retain LW we will be ok...losing him and I don’t see a good year unless Prohm lands a couple realLW good transfers..

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
He could have another year like last year and he won't hit the road whether you like it or not. Again, all I can do is support the program at this point.

I can still support the program and want a different coach. We'll see how the rest of this off-season plays out and what happens next year. THT is a major blow to this roster for next year.

• Funny
Reactions: ComCY

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I hate to be "that guy" and I know this will cause extreme controversy, but they beat a 12 and 13 seed in the tourney that year.

Always love this take. Would you rather they lose to those seeds?

Was it better than being a 3 and a darkhorse as a FF contender and getting punked by a bad UAB team to start out the tourney?

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
I hate to be "that guy" and I know this will cause extreme controversy, but they beat a 12 and 13 seed in the tourney that year.

So? That’s what you get when you go in as a 4 seed. That’s how tourney works for every team.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
2014-15 was a disappointing year.

Team was soft and legit pissed away the regular season conference title.

Fred was their coach though...so you probably thought it was amazing.

I thought it was better overall than the 2015-2016 team. They finished better in conference, won the Big 12 tourney, and only lost 1 home game that year.

• Funny
Reactions: CyTwins

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

I love Iowa State as much as anybody, and I think you do too, but I think you have some unwarranted self-importance about the history of the program here.

Here are the extent of the seeds we've beaten in the NCAA tournament since 1986...

JOHNNY
#10 Miami University
#2 Michigan
#7 UNC-Charlotte
#10 Florida

FLOYD
#10 Florida
#12 Cal
#11 Illinois State
#3 Cincinnati

LARRY
#15 Central Connecticut State
#7 Auburn
#6 UCLA

MORGAN
#8 Minnesota

FRED
#9 UConn
#7 Notre Dame
#14 NC Central
#6 UNC

STEVE
#13 Iona
#12 UALR (and a guy named Chris Beard who turned out as a good coach)
#12 Nevada

I loved Fred, too, but not like he was lighting the world on fire beating a #6 seed.

• Informative
Reactions: STLISU

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I'm with you. The people who seem to have disdain towards him because they don't think he will have success in the NBA, I don't get. If you really feel that way and don't think he will porogress past what he has shown, why not get all the money you can while it is there for you? If he is hearing he will be a Mid-to-late first rounder, go get that money young fella.

I love both guys and am sad to see either of them leave.

But I do agree, this is a special situation with THT being so young. He has to go, I don't think he has any choice really. There is tremendous risk in coming back. Maybe more than going pro.

Look at it from THT shoes. You just averaged 20 minutes a game the last 3 games (yes he was so bad you couldn't have him out there but I doubt he sees it that way), you can't risk that happening next year. You can't risk replacing Cameron Lard in the doghouse and you can't risk what happened to Wiggs this year. You just saw Wiggs benched for having a sore foot and getting his minutes cut dramatically, and seeing two way less talented guys play in front of him. I don't see this as a difficult decision at all for THT.

This way, you get on a team that is vested in developing you and finding minutes, even if it is the G league. The G league is not a purgatory sentence anymore.

Honestly, I think Wiggs could have a Carson Edwards type of year if he came back, he has that ability and a similar game, but I don't think Coach Prohm would ever allow him to play like that anyway. I can see where the G-league would be a good option for Wiggs as well.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I thought it was better overall than the 2015-2016 team. They finished better in conference, won the Big 12 tourney, and only lost 1 home game that year.

You know that if Prohm did the same thing though, you'd be up in arms about it and it's really not close.

Conference champ that season was 13-5 and all ISU had to do was close out Baylor, or play somewhat decent at KSU and Tech to at least tie and Fred failed at it along with not getting things right for the real tourney.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I love Iowa State as much as anybody, and I think you do too, but I think you have some unwarranted self-importance about the history of the program here.

Here are the extent of the seeds we've beaten in the NCAA tournament since 1986...

JOHNNY
#10 Miami University
#2 Michigan
#7 UNC-Charlotte
#10 Florida

FLOYD
#10 Florida
#12 Cal
#11 Illinois State
#3 Cincinnati

LARRY
#15 Central Connecticut State
#7 Auburn
#6 UCLA

MORGAN
#8 Minnesota

FRED
#9 UConn
#7 Notre Dame
#14 NC Central
#6 UNC

STEVE
#13 Iona
#12 UALR (and a guy named Chris Beard who turned out as a good coach)
#12 Nevada

I loved Fred, too, but not like he was lighting the world on fire beating a #6 seed.

Eh, I am not here to defend Fred, but Niang and Babb got hurt. It's really not fair to just ignore that. Those were two great players. Who knows what would have happened if not for those injuries. Maybe nothing different, maybe a Final Four, we will never know. Fred had 8 tournament games and one stinker. Rest of the games outside of UAB they played pretty well.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I love both guys and am sad to see either of them leave.

But I do agree, this is a special situation with THT being so young. He has to go, I don't think he has any choice really. There is tremendous risk in coming back. Maybe more than going pro.

Look at it from THT shoes. You just averaged 20 minutes a game the last 3 games (yes he was so bad you couldn't have him out there but I doubt he sees it that way), you can't risk that happening next year. You can't risk replacing Cameron Lard in the doghouse and you can't risk what happened to Wiggs this year. You just saw Wiggs benched for having a sore foot and getting his minutes cut dramatically, and seeing two way less talented guys play in front of him. I don't see this as a difficult decision at all for THT.

This way, you get on a team that is vested in developing you and finding minutes, even if it is the G league. The G league is not a purgatory sentence anymore.

Honestly, I think Wiggs could have a Carson Edwards type of year if he came back, he has that ability and a similar game, but I don't think Coach Prohm would ever allow him to play like that anyway. I can see where the G-league would be a good option for Wiggs as well.
I'm with you. I think THT is perfect for a well-established playoff team to take a flyer on and build his game in their system for a year or two.

I don't know why but I have a feeling Wiggs is coming back. At the end of the year I felt it was more likely he came back than THT, and I really did like his attitude and the way he fought the last few weeks of the season. Maybe a flip finally switched and he sees a path to success using ISU as a launch pad, maybe he feels he can fight and claw his way through the G League with solid play. Either way, I want what is best for the kid, and if the money is there I will never fault them for taking it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron