On supporting The Mayor's decision and Iowa State basketball

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I don't understand the anger towards Fred here. It's not like he turned down an ISU job offer to go to Nebraska. Jamie wasn't going to fire Prohm to offer Fred the job. If Prohm had left for Alabama and Fred still didn't come, I'd maybe see a point but we didn't have an opening this year.

And with all the rumors swirling for some time, how do we know that Fred wasn't holding out to see what Prohm was going to do before agreeing to go to Nebraska?

I honestly believe that he WAS waiting to see what Prohm did. And maybe, if ISU lost in the first game in KC, things would have turned out differently. Oh well, it's done now. I'll continue to hope NU wins two games a year and loses the rest. Not that it affects me one way or the other if they win. I appreciate what FH did at ISU, but he's just another ex-coach now.

BTW, for someone who admittedly hated recruiting, it's strange to see him take a job at a place that is just as hard or harder to recruit to than ISU. And it's not like recruiting is less dirty now than it was 5 years ago.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
New rumor I heard, maybe it was here but I’m not searching all these threads and all these posts is Fred won’t announce until MSU is done. Doesn’t want to distract his son.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Didn't think so. But that could've turned into some ugly comments if Fred starts winning at Nebby

I feel badly for Prohm in this whole mess. If he thought his life was being constantly compared to Hoiberg before, he's got to be terrified now.

I wish he had connections in the media to get out his own propaganda, much like Fred does.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
New rumor I heard, maybe it was here but I’m not searching all these threads and all these posts is Fred won’t announce until MSU is done. Doesn’t want to distract his son.

It's a done deal. The press conference is on Tuesday.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and BCClone

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
Nebraska sucks donkey balls. They have always sucked donkey balls. They will continue to suck donkey balls in perpetuity. That said, I am not going to rail on a guy for earning a living, especially when I jump ship to a new company on average every 3 years.

If Fred wants to coach donkey ball sucking U, that is his choice.

H

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Fred isn't a guaranteed success is Lincoln. He has already burnt out on recruiting once in cbb. His rebuild here was aided by transfers that will be more difficult for him to get now. He did strike gold on some high school guys early (Niang/Monte/Matt Thomas) here, but also struck out a lot over the following few years. How much of that early identifying and recruiting success was more TJ? At least if he fails again like he did with the Bulls it won't be at ISU. That would have been the real nightmare.

With the amount of NBA coaching churn I find it strange he wasn't given a chance anywhere else (especially considering the bulls management) unless he earned some sort of stigma with NBA managers/players.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
And does anyone like Cael as much as they did before? I think everyone acknowledged that he lost part of his legacy when he left. It didn't erase his legacy, but it changed it a bit.

But the main reason is Fred has his propaganda machine in the media. I don't like being told what to think and pretty much the entire media has told us what to think regarding this for the past 5 years. We weren't allowed to be disappointed that he didn't want to be the coach at Iowa State because "IT WAS HIS ONE TRUE DREAM IN LIFE TO COACH IN THE NBA" and "HE HATED RECRUITING SO BAD THAT HE WOULD NEVER COACH IN COLLEGE AGAIN". And now we are getting the "HE JUST WANTS TO EARN A LIVING AND HE NEVER SAID HE HATED RECRUITING" and "WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? LINCOLN ALWAYS MEANT MORE TO HIM THAN AMES."

If the media (and by media I mostly mean CF) would just let this go and not post more podcasts and articles about how great it is that Fred is going to Nebraska and how happy this should make us the whole thing might kind of die out. But at this point, there's been more of this stuff on here over the last week than there was about Prohm's extension or Fennelly's. At this point I expect CW, Jared, and Rob to go over to the intro press conference on Tuesday.

Maybe if we were still playing basketball then CW, Jared and Rob would have more to talk about. Are you actually insinuating that the writers of CF are promoting that CFH/CSP drama? Fairly certain that everyone is backing CSP and that CW has complained about CSP always being compared to CFH.

CSP is a big boy, IMO his ability to succeed over the next 3-4 years with CFH next door will just further cement him as a top level head coach.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
It's not a given that Fred will be a success over there. Flopped with the Bulls. Ran out of gas in Ames. Nebraska isn't a basketball powerhouse.

Will we be here to catch him if he falls?

(Queue the Hallmark Channel music)
I think people might have a bit of an unrealistic expectation for Fred's recruiting. TJ was able to get good talent at ISU during the McDermott era. Assistants obviously do lots of recruiting but getting good talent to Lincoln is going to take some work Hoiberg personally. Plus it's not like there are a bunch of local players to visit on day trips.

cyclonemagic

Nov 26, 2006
Texas
We are a passionate fan base. This has been a great discussion of Fred and what he means to ISU and Ames, IA (the "Mayor"). We not only analyzed his life and career success, but also a few of the mistakes he made along the way. And, we provided the direction Fred should take in his future coaching career. Sadly, when you leave Ames, it's easy to loose focus on the important things. Hopefully, Fred will will read this discussion thread and see the "truth". Once he does that, we can only assume that he will reconsider the whole idea of becoming the next Nebraska basketball coach.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
I believe this is an accurate summary on the situation (maybe for a few):

ISU basketball was on a torrid trajectory under Hoiberg. Ample national attention, expectations followed. Flash forward to the past season, ISU laid some turds at Hilton, but overall a good season. However, doubt started building with some fans during the last month of the regular season.

The nervousness felt with Iowa State fans is that Hoiberg will have the same success with Nebraska as he did here at Iowa State. I don’t believe recruiting will be all that different between the two schools. The actual process may be easier/more simple at Nebraska due to increased availability of ‘private’ travel.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
I don't know why anyone would be upset if Fred took the Nebraska job. It's his career and life decisions for his family. Seems to me anyone who is upset at Fred is small minded and personal self-worth too vested in sports!

My life goes on unaffected by where Fred coaches. I hope he wins every game he coaches except against ISU.

I take issue in going to the school that tried to relegate ISU and the rest of the former Big 8 to Mountain West status. That will not be forgotten. I hope Nebraska loses every game in every sport forever. Same for Missouri.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

Wonder if his son will transfer to Nebraska? He is just a walkon, right?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron