On supporting The Mayor's decision and Iowa State basketball

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Seems kind of odd to harbor any ill will towards Freddie, though you could see all of this coming from a mile away. Anyone with any sense knew the Bulls would fire him within three years--that's how it works. Even he probably knew that. Here we sit: Nebraska (presumably) has Hoiberg, UNLV has TJ and we're stuck with Prohm. It's a cruel world.

And this is dumb. And why the article, while well intentioned, was bad.

You want to protect Fred’s legacy? Ok. He was a great player, and did a great job as a coach. Just quit trying to pretend he was this pure angelic representation of Iowa State. He has gotten just as much out of his affiliation with the university than the fans, if not more.

Also that whole trying to leave for at least 3 years thing speaks volumes as well.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Fred is a good guy. Sorry he left ISU, and he probably regrets it some too, (other than the huge buyout from the Bulls). The only negative I can see with him at NU is that he might steal some Iowa talent the clones are after.

If he was going to regret it, why try to leave for three years before finally being able to spin a friendship into the bulls job?

He can do what he wants. I don’t care about his next job after being voted the worst coach in the nba while he was in Chicago.

But people need to quit acting like he is some patron saint of Iowa State athletics. That title belongs to Gary Thompson

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
It's not a given that Fred will be a success over there. Flopped with the Bulls. Ran out of gas in Ames. Nebraska isn't a basketball powerhouse.

Will we be here to catch him if he falls?

(Queue the Hallmark Channel music)

• Agree
Reactions: 83Clone and aauummm

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
He can do what he wants and make the best decision for him and his family.

I can also respond to that however I want, and my response is good riddance, I hope he flops there, and I hope Nebraska basketball continues to be a bottom-dwelling joke that plays second fiddle to a mid-major team In their state.

Grateful for everything Fred has done for ISU up to this point, and that won’t change, but from here forward things are different.

9104Griffith

Jul 31, 2010
Chicago
At this point, I just want this ******* story to be over.

The unfortunate reality is this story is just beginning if he gets hired and based on what I've seen so far this forum could be the most divided it's ever been.

Count me in the group that will be disappointed and no longer support The Mayor. Unlike the narrative that the Fred fans are trying to push forward this doesn't mean I hate Fred or what he has done up until he's hired there. He will no longer be on the pedestal that even helped make him a national sports media darling. I think that will be the vast majority of ISU fans which doesn't make us haters. I just don't want to be told I need to support him still.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
This. Our feud with Nebraska is dead. I'm not saying people have to like them, but it's not like he's going to Kansas or Iowa.

I think this is easy to say if you're not from the western part of the state, those of us that are deal with Husker fans and their arrogance on a daily basis. Even though we don't care about them and don't play them, they still insist on keeping us updated on everything Husker.

The worst part is, most of them had never heard of Fred, now they pretend like they've followed him for years and they are all of the sudden expert cbb fans. People talk like Hawk fans are tough to deal with, I'd rather deal with them or KU fans over Husker fans any day. I'm numb to Fred's decisions after the Bulls but because of the Husker fans, I won't be upset if he flops in Lincoln. Their fans will be impossible to deal with if they get even a hint of bball success.

• Agree
Reactions: flycy

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Anything West of Des Moines is Nebraska.
Some truth to this. I grew up in Sioux City. The town is littered with GBR. Best player on my Heelan team went to Nebraska.

Mike Grace: The Sioux City Heelan product had both the 1964 and 1965 seasons cut short by torn knee ligaments. He was the team leader in tackles before the injury in 1965 that eventually ended his career.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
At this point, I just want this ******* story to be over.

Don't worry I put the over/under of podcasts, articles, and tweets from this website at 4 per month telling us how happy we should be for him.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
If he was going to regret it, why try to leave for three years before finally being able to spin a friendship into the bulls job?

He can do what he wants. I don’t care about his next job after being voted the worst coach in the nba while he was in Chicago.

But people need to quit acting like he is some patron saint of Iowa State athletics. That title belongs to Gary Thompson

Fred played at ISU and coached at ISU. The fact that things didn't work out for him with the Bulls does not diminish any of that. Gary is a great guy, and an all time ISU guy, but I won't throw Fred under the bus because what was his dream job didn't work out and he is now going back to college hoops. Fred is one of the good guys in ISU history.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I don't understand the anger towards Fred here. It's not like he turned down an ISU job offer to go to Nebraska. Jamie wasn't going to fire Prohm to offer Fred the job. If Prohm had left for Alabama and Fred still didn't come, I'd maybe see a point but we didn't have an opening this year.

And with all the rumors swirling for some time, how do we know that Fred wasn't holding out to see what Prohm was going to do before agreeing to go to Nebraska?