I suppose you agree that the B12 just wasn't all that this year ...

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Well, what?

Diarra, Mawien, and Sneed provide a solid core of returning starters. Chicago POY coming to Manhattan, plus a couple 6'8" dudes. And 2X Big12 championship coach Bruce Weber to coach 'em up. Well?

Losing Brown, Stokes and Wade is gonna hurt. I'm sure your defense will be fine, but you really struggled without Wade. Brown was the go-to in his absence, and he hit a ridiculous amount of shots as the shot clock expired to bail out horrible offensive sets. Diarra is solid and I think Mawien has potential, but you will need someone to step up big time. Those scoring droughts you saw this year won't improve by losing your two best drought-breakers. You can't afford to have Sneed disappear for chunks of time.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Well, what?

Diarra, Mawien, and Sneed provide a solid core of returning starters. Chicago POY coming to Manhattan, plus a couple 6'8" dudes. And 2X Big12 championship coach Bruce Weber to coach 'em up. Well?

So there weren't any good teams in the league this year but K State will be good next year after losing their 3 best players? Hell losing Brown is a big enough deal, how many games did he carry you guys when no one else could score?

Cyder91

Jul 19, 2018
Look for Michigan to beat TxT taking the B12 out completely. I was surprised that ISU didn't get by the first weekend but consistency has been an issue, hasn't it. Ku lost to the FBI and injuries. K-State without Dean Wade was an average team. OU and BU were not tournament worthy. Thankfully, TCU and Texas went to the NIT. Maybe one of them will win that. At least the streak is dead.
From what I have seen, I wouldn't be surprised to see Michigan beat TxT. To me the evidence is there (unfortunately) from watching the B1G, some ACC and SEC teams in the tourney that the physicality displayed is something they are experienced in. I think that their conferences are set up and reffed in a way to produce a game product that allows this to a certain level. The NCAA tourney seems to favor this style of play and seems to allow physical bump and grind style a bit more this year. I don't think the BIG 12 has developed the product in that direction as quickly. This along with some weaker BIG 12 teams has caused the results we see.

• Winner
Reactions: surly

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Well, what?

Well... KSU will probably finish in the bottom 3.

Did you see that team without Wade this year? Then you throw out Brown & Stokes. Oof.

• Agree
Reactions: chadly82

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Well... KSU will probably finish in the bottom 3.

Did you see that team without Wade this year? Then you throw out Brown & Stokes. Oof.

Every year it's the same wash, rinse, repeat here. Weber can't recruit. Weber can't coach.

Hey, did you guys hear Wes Iwundu will never get drafted and if he does, he'll never make an NBA roster? And Dean Wade will never make all-conference either, did you hear that halfway through the season? Or how about, Weber can't coach or recruit? I mean you guys are so predictable.

And Stokes was not one of K-State three best players. Xavier Sneed! And it wasn't close.

Okay, it's time for the "You alone make me hate K-State" post. That's typically the ending argument for the deepest thinkers here. :p

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I really don’t understand the thinking that TCU should have been in the tourney. Their non conference was weak and the went 7-11 in the Big 12. Their resume stunk.

Their resume was essentially the same as Ohio State. Get all your wins in non-con, then go 8 - 12 in conference. Beat Indiana twice. Northwestern. Penn State. Illinois. Iowa. Rutgers. Nebraska. That is a really weak conference resume. Other than Iowa, all of their wins were against teams below them.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Every year it's the same wash, rinse, repeat here. Weber can't recruit. Weber can't coach.

Hey, did you guys hear Wes Iwundu will never get drafted and if he does, he'll never make an NBA roster? And Dean Wade will never make all-conference either, did you hear that halfway through the season? Or how about, Weber can't coach or recruit? I mean you guys are so predictable.

And Stokes was not one of K-State three best players. Xavier Sneed! And it wasn't close.

Okay, it's time for the "You alone make me hate K-State" post. That's typically the ending argument for the deepest thinkers here. :p

Good grief.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.

Surly. Take a step back and think about it (without the purple blinders on).

Who on KSU’s 19-20 team will make them anything less but.... bottom 3?

Don’t get me wrong, Snead and Diarra are decent role players.

• Funny

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Well, what?

Well, what?

I agree with you that Kansas State will be good next year. I probably dont think they will be as good as you expect them to be. Sneed, Mawien and Diarra will keep KSU in the top half of the Big 12.

Still lots of roster moves to make for everyone in the Big 12 but KSU seems to have a good core to prevent a massive drop.

Aug 26, 2014
People put so much weight on this tournament full of random games. I mean we lost to Ohio State, but realistically I think most people that watch college basketball would say that we would beat them 8 out of 10 times at least. We just had a bad game. And do you really think Iowa is on the same planet as Tennessee? No, but crazy things happen in basketball games, and somehow they got close. That's why usually you see crazy upsets in the tournament (this year not withstanding). We know the Big 12 was solid but possibly only had 1 great team this year. However they did not have the just awful teams that pretty much every other conference has.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I agree with you that Kansas State will be good next year. I probably dont think they will be as good as you expect them to be.

Let's put it this way, I don't see K-State falling off the table like WVU did this year after losing their stud guards. Diarra and Sneed are two quality quards. And in college, guards rule. Mawien is a capable center. How Weber fills in around them will be key to K-State being in the B12's top half.

But none of us know what rosters will look like next season, nor how good the incoming classes will be. Who leaves early for the NBA? Lard has already left Ames. A big loss. Ku could be on probation (likely). Beard, Dixon, Shaka all could be gone (I doubt it). We just don't know enough yet.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Surly. Take a step back and think about it (without the purple blinders on).

Who on KSU’s 19-20 team will make them anything less but.... bottom 3?

Don’t get me wrong, Snead and Diarra are decent role players.
You are simply off in your assessment of Sneed, Diarra and Mawien. Both are very good players and will be seniors who have played a lot over the years. I dont see them dropping below the top 5 in the Big 12 when you take into account that most teams below them will also be losing valuable contributors. It's not like they lose Brown, Wade and Stokes while everyone else returns the same roster.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Tuco defending Surly?

1g1o85.gif

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and SCyclone

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
You are simply off in your assessment of Sneed, Diarra and Mawien. Both are very good players and will be seniors who have played a lot over the years. I dont see them dropping below the top 5 in the Big 12 when you take into account that most teams below them will also be losing valuable contributors. It's not like they lose Brown, Wade and Stokes while everyone else returns the same roster.
Yeah, I’m taking them to finish below the top 5.

clonedlion

Feb 28, 2013
Look for Michigan to beat TxT taking the B12 out completely. I was surprised that ISU didn't get by the first weekend but consistency has been an issue, hasn't it. Ku lost to the FBI and injuries. K-State without Dean Wade was an average team. OU and BU were not tournament worthy. Thankfully, TCU and Texas went to the NIT. Maybe one of them will win that. At least the streak is dead.
Sharps on Tech, publc/squares on Mich right now. We usually know how that works out.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
People put so much weight on this tournament full of random games. I mean we lost to Ohio State, but realistically I think most people that watch college basketball would say that we would beat them 8 out of 10 times at least. We just had a bad game. And do you really think Iowa is on the same planet as Tennessee? No, but crazy things happen in basketball games, and somehow they got close. That's why usually you see crazy upsets in the tournament (this year not withstanding). We know the Big 12 was solid but possibly only had 1 great team this year. However they did not have the just awful teams that pretty much every other conference has.

First bolded: ISU had how many games like the OSU game? That was a bad game, but that was all too common to assume they're that much better than OSU.

2nd bolded: why?

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
To answer the original post, I agree the Big 12 was not strong this year as it has been for several years running.

Injuries played a huge role in that. I think Kansas with Doke would have been very competitive, him and Lawson together, yikes! ISU lost two assumed starters at the outset and was scrambling the entire season to find the right lineups. K State lost Wade at a really bad time.

Then teams like WVU and Okie State lost so many players due to transfer or expulsion.

I really think this was just a freak bad luck year and by next year it will be the usual dogfight with a lot of high quality teams and games.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Well looks like Texas won again. So TCU and UT are meeting in Madison Square Gatden. Dominating the Not Invited tourney again.

• Agree

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron