Shout Out to the Men's Hockey Team in the ACHA Semifinal

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
Championship tonight against Minot St. at 7:30. Winner takes home the Murdoch Cup.

MS beat the overall #1 seed Lindenwood, which is in ISU's conference. I think ISU went 1-3 against them this year.

ISU has been in the Championship Game six times and as recently as 2016, but hasn't won the championship since 1992.

Live stream on youtube. Search for ACHA National Championship. Make sure you click on the D1 game.

Welch Ave had a game watch yesterday, I assume they will have one tonight too.

Those that haven't been to a game you are missing out. Lots of fun.

There are 57 teams that play D1 club hockey. Top 20 get seeded for nationals. ISU was #5 this year, MS is #6.

http://achahockey.org/view/achahockey/divisions/men-s-d1-4

NetflixAndClone

Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I remember ISU club hockey was the first club hockey team ever shown on ESPN3. The clones are consistently one of the top club programs in the nation. Would love to get D1 hockey here, but that’s the Minnesotan in me.

DuneFan

Nov 7, 2015
Why can't we make this team a full Iowa State sports team competing in Division 1?

Hockey is the one sport where the geographic location of Ames is actually to our advantage.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Why can't we make this team a full Iowa State sports team competing in Division 1?

Hockey is the one sport where the geographic location of Ames is actually to our advantage.

No, it's really not. The state is quite lacking in terms of hockey talent and the surrounding states that cultivate hockey more closely already have a plethora of teams with better locations and history to keep it there.

Next hockey is an expensive sport. I went to school at UND and their program costs 4.5 million dollars to run. Now at a hockey crazy school like there, they manage to make most of that back but I HIGHLY doubt that to be the case at ISU. Basically the only schools to have joined the D1 ranks in recent history have had some mega donors, 100 million in Penn States case, fund the whole operation

Finally, you'd be banking on an invite from the Big 10 for conference, something I'm skeptical that would be forthcoming. NCHC absolutely would refuse, leaving the WCHA which is an abomination of travel, stretching from Alabama to Alaska.

NetflixAndClone

Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
No, it's really not. The state is quite lacking in terms of hockey talent and the surrounding states that cultivate hockey more closely already have a plethora of teams with better locations and history to keep it there.

Next hockey is an expensive sport. I went to school at UND and their program costs 4.5 million dollars to run. Now at a hockey crazy school like there, they manage to make most of that back but I HIGHLY doubt that to be the case at ISU. Basically the only schools to have joined the D1 ranks in recent history have had some mega donors, 100 million in Penn States case, fund the whole operation

Finally, you'd be banking on an invite from the Big 10 for conference, something I'm skeptical that would be forthcoming. NCHC absolutely would refuse, leaving the WCHA which is an abomination of travel, stretching from Alabama to Alaska.
I actually think hockey could work in Ames. Yeah the state doesn’t produce much talent, but if ISU could start a program and an invested interest From the alumni and school. Interest In the sport would grow. All you need is high schools to start picking it up as a varsity sport like in the 60s for Minnesota.

Plus Minnesota is the Texas of hockey. The state produces so much talent at a smaller population. My high school grade in my hometown produced 3 D1 hockey players and we didn’t even win state.

Plus we may be closer than many think. My friends in college talked with Jaime since they were the president and VP of the club baseball team about the possibility of D1 baseball coming back. The AD office said hockey would be a sport they would explore before baseball.

My cousin who use to coach the JV Ames hockey and the peewee flyers told me the Ames ice arena is actually built for future expansion which include an expanded two locker rooms, increased capacity, and a practice rink that will be attached.

Lastly while many states have bigger programs and history. You can’t convince me it would be harder to recruit a kid to Ames vs Bemeji State, upper Michigan, Michigan Tech, and similar hockey schools. Yes you probably won’t beat out St Cloud, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. I also think you could recruit the Minnesota suburbs since Ames isn’t that far.

If Omaha and Alabama can have D1 hockey why can’t Ames?