Corn growers Vs Bud Light

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Light beer is for sissy's anyway (ducking to avoid the angry responses). Just kidding, but I have a serious question, what is everyone's issue with corn syrup? Isn't it just a form of sugar? Is it more unhealthy? Does it cause cancer? Doesn't pure cane sugar make you fat too?
From what I understand, corn syrup is worse for you than cane or sugar beet sugar. However, I'm sure you can find scientists/health experts that disagree with this. I tend to agree that it is worse, although both are really bad. Like others have said, by the time you get the finished beer product, I don't think it makes a bit of difference. I think a lot of people are becoming anti corn in general (anti corn syrup, pro grass fed beef, etc.) which is why Bud Light put out that ad, I suppose.

• Agree
Reactions: Joel1 and ATCy

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Not exactly the same, but I was at a catered meeting hosted by Monsanto (Bayer now) at the Huxley learning center. The crackers that came with the soup had the "Non-GMO Project" label on the package. I made a joke to the Monsanto guy, he was not amused and definitely made call to the catering company.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
From what I understand, corn syrup is worse for you than cane or sugar beet sugar. However, I'm sure you can find scientists/health experts that disagree with this. I tend to agree that it is worse, although both are really bad. Like others have said, by the time you get the finished beer product, I don't think it makes a bit of difference. I think a lot of people are becoming anti corn in general (anti corn syrup, pro grass fed beef, etc.) which is why Bud Light put out that ad, I suppose.

There is a significant difference between corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup. HFCS is the stuff that has replaced cane sugar in most food manufacturing, and takes corn starch and adds fructose to it (thus the HF part). I've never seen beer use HFCS for fermentation

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
This whole situation is dumb, from both ends.

AB was dumb to make it, they should have foreseen that they would alienate corn growers and associated communities, which is a hotbed for consumption of their product.

Corn growers being butthurt about this is dumb because the impact is negligible. Domestic beer consumers are pretty loyal, and the few people who actually change brands because of this aren't going to affect the market.

The whole situation is dumb because domestic beer is trash. If you really have to try to sell your trash mass-produced product based on your trash ingredients (or lack of trash ingredients for other trash ingredients, aka rice), you're still selling trash.

Drink real beer. Who cares.

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
I'm sure most of you have heard about the feud between Corn Growers and Bud Light over the corn syrup commercials. Here the level of pettiness that this has reached.

The National Corn and SB Growers Associations sponsors a huge grower conference every year called Commodity Classic. A good client of mine exhibits there and has a social hour at their booth 2 nights. The person that takes care of the booth for my client was ordering beer for this years event in Orlando. He ordered a keg of Abita Amber (Good choice) and a keg of Sweetwater 420.

An hour later the conference rep called him back and said they could not serve Sweetwater 420 at the conference because it goes through an Anheuser-Bush owned distributor in FL. So the Corn Growers pettiness punished a craft brewery because Bud Light made them mad.

I don't view it as petty at all. AB took an unnecessary swipe at the livelihood of corn growers during the most-watched event of the year.

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
BL missed the mark. The intent was for the average joe (not a midwesterner) to assume corn syrup is the same as high-fructose corn syrup, implying Miller and Coors are bad for you. Instead, midwesterners who know the difference, got upset. Am I missing anything?

Reactions: cyphoon

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
This whole situation is dumb, from both ends.

AB was dumb to make it, they should have foreseen that they would alienate corn growers and associated communities, which is a hotbed for consumption of their product.

Corn growers being butthurt about this is dumb because the impact is negligible. Domestic beer consumers are pretty loyal, and the few people who actually change brands because of this aren't going to affect the market.

The whole situation is dumb because domestic beer is trash. If you really have to try to sell your trash mass-produced product based on your trash ingredients (or lack of trash ingredients for other trash ingredients, aka rice), you're still selling trash.

Drink real beer. Who cares.

The corn growers aren’t upset about this because they think people switching beer brands will impact the market. They are upset with it because the commercial pushes a false narrative that corn syrup is bad for you and products made without corn syrup are superior to those with corn syrup.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
The anti-corn syrup advertising campaign is one the worst in A-B's history. Have to believe it has about zero impact on swaying the beer buying customer.

No its not.

It got the attention of the uneducated consumer which is a much larger market share than the farm population.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone1985

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
BL missed the mark. The intent was for the average joe (not a midwesterner) to assume corn syrup is the same as high-fructose corn syrup, implying Miller and Coors are bad for you. Instead, midwesterners who know the difference, got upset. Am I missing anything?

I mean, I’m sure suburban soccer moms buying beer for their kids will think twice about getting Miller Lite now.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Corn growers association asks for more government help than any industry in THE WORLD!!

National Corn does not look out for the interest of small family farms, just the 2000 acre and over operations and big industry like ADM and Ethanol
This will get the corn growers revved up. If you honestly look at gas mileage, overall carbon footprint for production, loss of ground cover, extensive water use for production and extensive government support, I don't see how anyone can continue to support ethanol as a fuel. :eek: Let the arrows fly.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
This will get the corn growers revved up. If you honestly look at gas mileage, overall carbon footprint for production, loss of ground cover, extensive water use for production and extensive government support, I don't see how anyone can continue to support ethanol as a fuel. :eek: Let the arrows fly.

Link to government support for ethanol please and thanks.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Link to government support for ethanol please and thanks.

Iowa is the first state to vote for presidential nominees. Politicians love to win Iowa. Throw money at those lobby groups gets you support. Support equals votes. Votes equal, well you know.

http://thefederalist.com/2015/10/21/how-pandering-to-iowas-ethanol-lobby-hurts-america/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/realsp...-corn-lobby-ethanol-mandate-rfs/#70834c5b2db2

upload_2019-3-20_13-39-55.png

source: https://www.taxpayer.net/energy-nat...cal-footprint-of-the-corn-ethanol-lobby-2015/

This subsidies create MASSIVE farm operations that kill family farms. I'm stopping here because this could turn political and I'm not interested in that..

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I mean, I’m sure suburban soccer moms buying beer for their kids will think twice about getting Miller Lite now.
Suburban soccer moms don't like Miller Lite. They'll give their kids white wine or, if it's beer, some kind of shandy beer for the kids.

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
Iowa is the first state to vote for presidential nominees. Politicians love to win Iowa. Throw money at those lobby groups gets you support. Support equals votes. Votes equal, well you know.

http://thefederalist.com/2015/10/21/how-pandering-to-iowas-ethanol-lobby-hurts-america/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/realsp...-corn-lobby-ethanol-mandate-rfs/#70834c5b2db2

View attachment 63188

source: https://www.taxpayer.net/energy-nat...cal-footprint-of-the-corn-ethanol-lobby-2015/

This subsidies create MASSIVE farm operations that kill family farms. I'm stopping here because this could turn political and I'm not interested in that..

Not sure I follow - what subsidies, and how is that linked to killing family farms?