Corn growers Vs Bud Light

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I'm sure most of you have heard about the feud between Corn Growers and Bud Light over the corn syrup commercials. Here the level of pettiness that this has reached.

The National Corn and SB Growers Associations sponsors a huge grower conference every year called Commodity Classic. A good client of mine exhibits there and has a social hour at their booth 2 nights. The person that takes care of the booth for my client was ordering beer for this years event in Orlando. He ordered a keg of Abita Amber (Good choice) and a keg of Sweetwater 420.

An hour later the conference rep called him back and said they could not serve Sweetwater 420 at the conference because it goes through an Anheuser-Bush owned distributor in FL. So the Corn Growers pettiness punished a craft brewery because Bud Light made them mad.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I'm sure most of you have heard about the feud between Corn Growers and Bud Light over the corn syrup commercials. Here the level of pettiness that this has reached.

The National Corn and SB Growers Associations sponsors a huge grower conference every year called Commodity Classic. A good client of mine exhibits there and has a social hour at their booth 2 nights. The person that takes care of the booth for my client was ordering beer for this years event in Orlando. He ordered a keg of Abita Amber (Good choice) and a keg of Sweetwater 420.

An hour later the conference rep called him back and said they could not serve Sweetwater 420 at the conference because it goes through an Anheuser-Bush owned distributor in FL. So the Corn Growers pettiness punished a craft brewery because Bud Light made them mad.

Seems fair after those commercials.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames

Sounds about right.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Can you verify that it was because of the corn syrup ordeal or could it have been the facility did not have an agreement with Anheuser-Busch?

• Agree
Reactions: runbikeswim

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I'll say the two most annoying groups of people I've ever interacted with is Wall Street and The Corn Growers Association... And that's saying something because I work with Wall Street daily

Corn growers association asks for more government help than any industry in THE WORLD!!

National Corn does not look out for the interest of small family farms, just the 2000 acre and over operations and big industry like ADM and Ethanol

Last edited:

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I'll say the two most annoying groups of people I've ever interacted with is Wall Street and The Corn Growers Association... And that's saying something because I work with Wall Street daily

Corn growers ask for more government help than any industry in THE WORLD!!

National Corn does not look out for the interest of small family farms, just the 2000 acre and over operations

Yep.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield

Wait a minute, does Busch Lite have corn syrup?
Found our answer: According to a list of ingredients used in Bud Light, the drink includes water, barley, rice and hops. A spokesperson for Anheuser-Busch, which makes Bud Light, confirmed that those ingredients are used in the drink. The company uses corn syrup in some of its other products, including Busch Light and Natural Light. Anheuser-Busch bought more than 1 billion pounds of corn ingredients last year, according to the company’s spokesperson.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Can you verify that it was because of the corn syrup ordeal or could it have been the facility did not have an agreement with Anheuser-Busch?

That what my client was told. They could not serve any products that had any connection with Aheuser-Busch. Which included their distributors as well. Coors jumped on the opportunity and has a booth there.

I also find some irony that Bush Light is touting a "A toast to farmers campaign". Don't people get the connection between Bud Light and Busch Light????

But the real irony in the whole thing is that most sugars used in brewing are gone before it gets consumed. Really does not matter what they start with for ingredients.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
If your beer ingredients are traded by the train load, aren't you doing it wrong?

Sounds like they’re doing it right;).

Sucks that the craft brewer was hurt a little, but welcome to corporate America. People get hurt.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
Light beer is for sissy's anyway (ducking to avoid the angry responses). Just kidding, but I have a serious question, what is everyone's issue with corn syrup? Isn't it just a form of sugar? Is it more unhealthy? Does it cause cancer? Doesn't pure cane sugar make you fat too?

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
This is so dumb, you add rice to your beer to tone down the actual taste and you are crabbing about breweries that start the fermentation process with sugar?

• Agree
Reactions: cydsho

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
The anti-corn syrup advertising campaign is one the worst in A-B's history. Have to believe it has about zero impact on swaying the beer buying customer.

• Agree
Reactions: mkadl

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Typical AB-Inbev. Makes commercials taking shots at other breweries, all the while doing the same thing themselves.

Last Superbowl they took shots at Craft Breweries in general. Meanwhile they were buying up Craft Breweries because people are buying less of their garbage products.

vortec22

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2009
Grinnell, IA
I find it funny that you don't see the Corn Grower's Association jumping on any of the other products that tout they don't use "High Fructose Corn Syrup". Bud Light isn't the first or only.

Reactions: heitclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron