2019 Wrestling Nationals

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
For the most part, this is what each guy will score for his team, not counting any bonus points. Some of the consolations could be +/- 0.5, depending which path guys take.

1st - 20
2nd - 16
3rd - 12.5
4th - 11.5
5th - 10
6th - 9
7th - 6.5
8th - 5.5
9-12 - 2
13-16 - 1.5
17-24 - 0.5
25-33 - 0

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
 Three Iowa State Wrestling t-shirts, one for each day of the championship (a different color for each day). Please join in wearing the provided Iowa State Wrestling t-shirts on the corresponding days of the tournament as shown below.
o Thursday – White
o Friday – Cardinal
o Saturday – Gold

For the people that may not have order the Cyclone National tshirts, these are the colors for the various days in Pittsburgh

Reactions: Boxer007

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
My biggest concern is that if we wrestle like we did at Big 12s it's going to be a rough weekend. We have to step it up a level or by Friday afternoon we'll be left with just one or two guys and nobody except maybe Miklus left on Saturday morning. Given where we are at in the brackets and what the matchups are there's just a tiny difference between a terrible tournament and a really good one. If guys like Parker and Gomez just get one extra TD in a key match that could be the difference between being done Friday morning and being AAs.

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
My biggest concern is that if we wrestle like we did at Big 12s it's going to be a rough weekend. We have to step it up a level or by Friday afternoon we'll be left with just one or two guys and nobody except maybe Miklus left on Saturday morning. Given where we are at in the brackets and what the matchups are there's just a tiny difference between a terrible tournament and a really good one. If guys like Parker and Gomez just get one extra TD in a key match that could be the difference between being done Friday morning and being AAs.
Were you in Tulsa ?

Reactions: SimpsonCyclone

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
Were you in Tulsa ?

• Gomez needed OT to beat the #16 seed and lost 2-6 to the #12 seed
  • Parker lost 4-8 to the #9 seed and 0-2 to the #4 seed
  • Degen beat the #16 seed 11-10 and lost 5-6 to the #7 seed
  • Colbray beat the #18 seed 5-2 and lost 1-4 to the #6 seed
  • Miklus beat the #16 seed 6-0 and lost 0-10 to the #3 seed
Our best wins at Big 12s were against #16 seeds and we lost every single match we had against AA caliber opponents.

So yeah, we need to step it up from Big 12s. If we wrestle like that we don't get anybody except maybe Miklus past the blood round. This team could have 5 AAs and a top ten finish (Which is what I'm hoping to see) but it also could have no AAs and not crack the top 30. And the difference between those two finishes isn't very much. All five of those guys can beat AA caliber guys but they also can lose to them. This weekend is a real test for the team and the coaches. Friday is going to be a wild ride.

Last edited:

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Our best wins at Big 12s were against #16 seeds and we lost every single match we had against AA caliber opponents.

So yeah, we need to step it up from Big 12s. If we wrestle like that we don't get anybody except maybe Miklus past the blood round. This team could have 5 AAs and a top ten finish (Which is what I'm hoping to see) but it also could have no AAs and not crack the top 30. And the difference between those two finishes isn't very much. All five of those guys can beat AA caliber guys but they also can lose to them. This weekend is a real test for the team and the coaches. Friday is going to be a wild ride.
I think this is 100% correct. However, I’d caution that barring a complete meltdown at NCAAs, this season is still a roaring success.

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017

Tried to PM you but couldn't . Again, I agree with you and looking at the post I see how you took it the other way. My apologies.

Reactions: GrappleCy

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
Not sure how many here subscribe to Flo but they had the scoring breakdown based on seeding. They had ISU with 20 points and placing 21-22 (something like that). So to Grapple Cys point if we don’t wrestle better than the Big 12s we have one AA and not much happening on the backside.

Excited to see how things play out. KD has squeezed a lot out of this team. Can he get a little more?!?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
tumblr_o10e3jDOwL1qbrivdo1_500.gif

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
Not sure how many here subscribe to Flo but they had the scoring breakdown based on seeding. They had ISU with 20 points and placing 21-22 (something like that). So to Grapple Cys point if we don’t wrestle better than the Big 12s we have one AA and not much happening on the backside.

Excited to see how things play out. KD has squeezed a lot out of this team. Can he get a little more?!?

Yeah, I did the math in this thread when the brackets came out and that's why I'm stressing how much on the border we are of a great tournament or a disappointing one.

If we wrestle to seed
125: 1-2, 0.5 team points
133: 2-2, 1.5 team points
141: 1-2, 0.5 team points
149: 3-3, 5.5 team points
157: 1-2, 0.5 team points
174: 1-2, 0.5 team points
184: 3-2, 2 team points
197: 4-3, 9 team points
HWT: 0-2, 0 team points

20 team points, plus any bonus we might get.

Gomez, Parker, and Colbray all are seeded shy of placing, with, if you go by seeds (and ranking, since the only difference between looking at seeds and ranking is Degen's match vs Oliver makes him the underdog if you go by ranking)
  • Gomez bowing out tommorow morning in the third round of consolations with a loss to Bridges, who he lost to 2-6 at Big 12s
  • Parker bowing out with a loss to Brock in the 2nd round of consolations, who he beat 6-3 head to head but is ranked seeded and ranked lower than (this is obviously a good place for us to overperform but he'll need to beat Eirman or Alber to AA)
  • Colbray bowing out with a loss to #6 Dean or #4 Parker in the R12
Going with the coaches ranking rather than seeding, we'll have matches today between
  • #12 Parker vs #13 Red in Round 1
  • #10 Degen vs #8 Oliver in Round 2
  • #23 Straw vs #25 Monday in 1st round Consolations
  • #11 Colbray vs #10 Reenan in Round 2
  • #6 Miklus vs #10 Brunner in Round 2
  • #26 Gremmel vs #27 Maley in Round 2 Consolations
That's a lot of matches between guys that are more or less evenly ranked. If we all of those that's a good sign for the weekend. But tomorrow is really when we'll get the chance to fade away or separate. I'm not trying to tamper expectations or anything here,we have a lot of possible upside and I am hoping we see it. I'm just trying to stress how on the border this team is and how much is riding on the wrestlers and coaches having a good weekend. This is where Dresser and co earn their paycheck.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: CORoadrunner